Toronto 335 Yonge | 55.2m | 16s | Lalani | Zeidler

I have no problem with museum pieces, nor mean to imply that they're necessary a bad thing. I live in Cabbagetown and love the historic "museum-piece" homes of the area. However we wouldn't build anything if we were worried about preserving the buildings of the past, which is ironic since when those buildings were first built the feeling was all about progress, forgetting what was there before and building new structures in the design of the times.

True; however, nowadays it isn't about 'progress' or 'art' or 'beauty' — it's about commerce and the cheapest way you can build something without totally being obvious about it. Given a poll, people would prefer the old over the new as they are just more beautiful and you can tell a lot of heart and soul went into the design and building.

To compare the masterpieces of the past, however, with a condo or office building of today is pointless. We'll never go back to the grand buildings of the past as our culture has changed dramatically. It is very easy to build a Victorian or Georgian or what-have-you building; in fact it would be easier as we have the technology to do it a lot faster and easier; however, we don't as it would still be very expensive (all that stone and brick!) and not be able to house (I don't think?) hundreds or even thousands as a modern condo/office building can with all the modern ameneties. We can fake it with a façade; but, that's not the same.

Sorry to be a little late to the party, but I think that there is another theme that permeates heritage discussions, namely that somehow any talk of heritage preservation is frivolous in the context of healthcare or "saving people's lives". This goes back to the bad old days of the demolition of John Howard's Provincial Lunatic Asylum on Queen, and has resurfaced lately over the deafening silence surrounding the redevelopment of Women's College Hospital, which will see the demolition of the original 1930's art deco building, and has already resulted in the destruction of the Kenson Apartments on Grosvenor:

Also don't forget Our Lady Of Mercy in the W end, and the impending doom for the Riverdale half-round...

I went by to grab some shots to update this thread but they've got things blocked off pretty good. The fences are now covered with tarps plus they have erected additional hoarding within the site. I managed a peek through a 2" space where I could view about half of the west end of the site. It appears as if the entire building is now gone and the basement is now being dug up or pulverized. I can't see more than a week or two at most and this area should finally be back to normal with opening the east Yonge Street lane and the sidewalk on the east side of Yonge Street, both of which have been closed off since the wall collapsed last April.

HMV has re-opened and it also appears that the loading dock off Gould Street that services TLS is operational again.

Sorry to be a little late to the party, but I think that there is another theme that permeates heritage discussions, namely that somehow any talk of heritage preservation is frivolous in the context of healthcare or "saving people's lives". This goes back to the bad old days of the demolition of John Howard's Provincial Lunatic Asylum on Queen, and has resurfaced lately over the deafening silence surrounding the redevelopment of Women's College Hospital, which will see the demolition of the original 1930's art deco building, and has already resulted in the destruction of the Kenson Apartments on Grosvenor:

Kenson1.jpg

IMG00137-20101023-1133-1.jpg

Wot! Wot! Wot! When were those torn down?

I went looking through my photos and thankfully found one photo of Kenson apartments. It is only of the fabulous fire escapes, though.

n505539212_208543_4307.jpg

<sarcasm> Meh, Downtown Toronto's got plenty of examples of pre-war low rise apartment buildings... no one will miss it. </sarcasm>

Holy shit... how does this stuff happen!?! Yet another example of the city's "banalization" efforts. The city's beginning to act really cocky when it comes to our heritage; acting as if buildings like these are a dime a dozen. But let's get real... they no longer are. Every piece of heritage is as valuable as the next one. Instead of a parking lot or an empty field housing the next development, we'd rather destroy relevant pieces of architecture and replace that. We haven't learned. Watch 60 Harbour go next... you'll see. It's fate's either demolition or as a victim of the next arson attack.

Last edited:
Ahh come on, i doubt that the fate of that beautiful heritage building is demolition...and i sure doubt that The Port Authority is into arson attacks on their properties.

You are right, no fire damage (arson) for The Port Authority AKA Toronto Harbour Commission.

FLOOD DAMAGE for them!

Regards,
J T

Funny how this issue has disappeared from the media. I assume the investigation is ongoing.

I anticipate many more 'mysterious fires' to occur in the next few years. There should be a topic page called 'Mysterious Fires' where we post pics of places that have had or you think will have a 'mysterious fire'.

Have any immediate plans been announced for this site redevelopment? Now that the heritage issue is out of the way, should move forward indefinitely.

Have any immediate plans been announced for this site redevelopment? Now that the heritage issue is out of the way, should move forward indefinitely.

Assuming you mean "immediately" instead of "indefinitely"...

I suspect it's tied into the investigation into the fire. It's not really analogous to the Walnut Hall collapse, since other than neglect there was nothing potentially criminal to be investigated about its demise. For Lalani (or the numbered company tied to Lalani that holds the property) to immediately spring redevelopment plans before it is determined whether it was arson or acciental would not be particularly savvy from a PR standpoint.

Back