Hamilton 325 James Street North | 45.7m | 12s | Core Urban Inc. | Lintack Architects

I used to live off of Roncesvalles and there's a Sobeys there that is definitely not 10,000 sf. 5,000 maybe at the most. Plus lots of other small independent grocers. I get it, convenience stores are pretty typical in Hamilton so would generally be the default but I think 2200 sf could still offer a decent space. I dont think the Denningers on Queenston in Stoney Creek is much bigger than 2200 sf tbh.
I'll never forget the weird smell outside that Sobeys 😂

I do not have too much concern on size of the retail stores from the site plan that was recently posted, even though this drawing was just submitted to Planning Committee and was voted on for the zoning by-law amendment last week. Why? Because I noticed that the drawing was created by Lintack in Nov 2022 and they agreed to make changes to the design based on the Design Review panel recommendations, which was over a year ago. So there must be an updated and revise site plan. As to why they chose not to submit the newer drawings in almost 2 year since that site plan was created, I am not sure.

So I'm a little confused, and I think maybe @innsertnamehere may be best to answer this, but I thought I had a good handle on understanding this. Why did this need to go to the Planning Committee? Was this not a building that meets the as-of-right conditions as a 12 storey building, as the James St area is 6 storeys, with an increase to 12 storeys when meeting certain conditions?

Last edited:

Back