Reaction score

3175 SHEPPARD AVE E​

Information

Application Number:24106385ESC22OZ
Application Status:Under Review
Milestone Status:Application Submitted
Type:Community planning

Description

This is an OPA & Rezoning application. The proposal seeks to redevelop the lands with a 14-storey tall high-rise, mixed-use building.

1711726770485.png

1711726786714.png

The Unit sizes here are unheard of in non-luxury buildings in recent years.......

The 1bdrms not so much, typically in the ~650ft2 range........

But the 1bdrm + Dens are running just shy of 900ft2

While the 3brdms are way up there, they are over 1,400ft2 to just shy of 1,600ft2!

Last edited:
Offhand, my only concern on this one might be that it strands the adjacent SFH, which I would rather not see retained (fronting Sheppard).

The area is fairly well served by Parks, but there are 2 logical off-site acquisitions, one would be the very property I note above, or at least the more easterly, which would be sited beside the Hydro Corridor which will likely get a bike trail in the future.

Alternatively, Wishing Well Park appears to lack a direct access point from the east, and a single lot on Highhill could serve that purpose.

Meets the street terribly, if this standard is allowed to continue along these suburban arterials, they will simply go from being tunnels of fences to tunnels of glass walls. How hard would it be for them to extend the sidewalk to the north facing wall and throw down some tile? Such a marginal investment for such massive returns in the streetscape.

Regardless its better than the sfh, there is a similar stretch of fences along Finch West (kipling to duncanwood) and i'm shocked nothing like this has been proposed there.

Meets the street terribly, if this standard is allowed to continue along these suburban arterials, they will simply go from being tunnels of fences to tunnels of glass walls. How hard would it be for them to extend the sidewalk to the north facing wall and throw down some tile? Such a marginal investment for such massive returns in the streetscape.

1) I agree that the placing of Sod between the retail and the 'regular' sidewalk (as opposed to building adjacent paved area) is problematic.

2) This is what the Planning Report says:

1712082538031.png

This is the Site Plan:

1712082623253.png

The larger circles closer to the existing sidewalk are existing larger trees.

The goal of preserving them is laudible, but I think that can be, mostly done, with a better plan than what we see here. Hmmm

I wonder, given the large paved area in front of the building, if this is a peculiar case where it may make sense to remove the existing sidewalk and direct pedestrians next to the building, providing said pavement is publicly owned/eased?

I'm not sure what solution I prefer here, one could preserve the more mature trees but have the eastern 1/e of the building closer to the street, and the western 1/2 further back. That might not be ideal either.

Either way, the 100% glazing of the retail is not a good idea.

Attachments

• 1712081966808.png
    1712081966808.png
    657.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The Unit sizes here are unheard of in non-luxury buildings in recent years.......

The 1bdrms not so much, typically in the ~650ft2 range........

But the 1bdrm + Dens are running just shy of 900ft2

While the 3brdms are way up there, they are over 1,400ft2 to just shy 1,600ft!

Sheesh...generously spacious unit sizes around these parts. What is this, 2006? ;)

Back