Toronto 31 Sherbourne North | 12.47m | 3s | O'Shanter Development Company | GBCA

artyboy123

Member Bio
Reaction score
Taken from DevApp:

"Proposal to construct a 3 storey residential addition and below grade parking. Existing residential coach house buildings on properties 21, 23, and 25 to be retained with 3 rental units at 27 Sherbourne."

Taken from the architectural plan:

PLN - Architectural Plans - MAY 10  2021-1.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - MAY 10  2021-2.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - MAY 10  2021-3.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - MAY 10  2021-4.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - MAY 10  2021-5.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - MAY 10  2021-6.jpg

This is a posh, but textbook version of missing middle.

Gently upping the number of units/residents on an existing site, at a level greater than the simple basement unit, but less than a midrise or hirise.

On its face, it should get a rubber stamp.

One minor critique, the landscaping.........

The psychedelic purple columnar trees may fit someone's idea of Rosedale..........but I could do without this odd-ball European Cultivar.

You won't find very many native trees that will give you that hyper-straight, standing-at-attention look.

But, personally, I see no need to go that route. Though, if you wanted to, a few Aspens could work well and would grow fast.

Or Red Cedar for a coniferous version.

They don't seem to have aligned the trees to create a corridor (path) or view corridor to the front door...........rather odd choice.

While I would personally love to see that section forested............

If you want something more formal and showy.........

Maybe a progressive structure of Dogwoods.........from shortest to tallest........

Red Osier, Grey, Alternate-Leaf. Rising from the street to the house.

Then line the front with common juniper, creating an ever-green effect, contrasting w/the dogwoods.......

But hey, that's personal preference.

PS, what those Beeches look like in real life:

1624569083173.png

from: https://plants.connon.ca/Content/Images/Photos/J088-20.jpg

One minor critique, the landscaping.........

The psychedelic purple columnar trees may fit someone's idea of Rosedale..........but I could do without this odd-ball European Cultivar.

You won't find very many native trees that will give you that hyper-straight, standing-at-attention look.

But, personally, I see no need to go that route. Though, if you wanted to, a few Aspens could work well and would grow fast.

Or Red Cedar for a coniferous version.

They don't seem to have aligned the trees to create a corridor (path) or view corridor to the front door...........rather odd choice.

While I would personally love to see that section forested............

If you want something more formal and showy.........

Maybe a progressive structure of Dogwoods.........from shortest to tallest........

Red Osier, Grey, Alternate-Leaf. Rising from the street to the house.

Then line the front with common juniper, creating an ever-green effect, contrasting w/the dogwoods.......

But hey, that's personal preference.

PS, what those Beeches look like in real life:

View attachment 330215
from: https://plants.connon.ca/Content/Images/Photos/J088-20.jpg

what are your thoughts on armstrong maples? I've seen them planted in a few cases where the tall column look is desired, but I don't really know much about them beyond the fact that they seem to get tall pretty quickly

what are your thoughts on armstrong maples? I've seen them planted in a few cases where the tall column look is desired, but I don't really know much about them beyond the fact that they seem to get tall pretty quickly

Not native as I would define it.

A cultivar, mostly likely to be a hybrid of (both native) Silver and Red Maple; the ones in nurseries here tend to carry a 'freeman' in their Latin name.

Very urban tolerant, preference for damp/irrigated sites, will tolerate median moisture levels. Needs full sun (or close)

Like most cultivars, the widely sold ones are clones (meaning every tree sold is genetically identical to every other).

That puts them at higher than average risk for a catastrophic fail.

That said, I'm not aware of any inordinate risks to them right now.

I don't believe them to be invasive, in as much as I never see them growing in ravines in Toronto, but I'd have to double-check that.

Online there are references to them being naturalized (meaning reproducing in forests) in places I would not expect.

On balance, probably fine; though I wouldn't suggest a landscape dominated by them.

If going for a native landscape, not appropriate.

oooof this is right in the middle of south rosedale - wonder how the locals will react, especially given their hilariously documented loss at the OMB over 7 dale

The rezoning application for this proposal was approved many years ago - surprisingly, I don't recall that there was significant opposition at the time. The current application is just for site plan approval to move things ahead.

Back