Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

That sounds reasonable. Does anybody know what the other building will be?

There is no other building planned for now, it's all just speculation that once the new hydro substation is built down at the Roundhouse, that Toronto Hydro might disassemble here and then sell. Not known for sure yet though.

I had high hopes for this project when the renderings were releases. An iconic building which blocked the view of the hydro substation. Tridel definitely messed this one up. The grey is too light, the lack of colour unbearable. The number of lines too great. Please Tridel, authorize a paint ball fight from the balconies of this building. It desperately needs colour.

Tridel really shouldn't be allowed to build in the downtown core.

Thats a harsh statement. Instead they should merely be held accountable for their bait and switch render tactics. Developers need to accurately depict materials in their renders - if not the city should be able to say "No, we didnt approve this crap, we approved what was in the render", and make the developers correct the error.

Original Day Render said:
urbantoronto-1102-3720.jpg

I don't quite see the bait-and-switch in this project. The problem lies in the fact that the render deceitfully depicts the windows on the white portion as being much lighter than they really would be.

In reality, it's near impossible to get windows that white without bright interior lights on 24-7, a ceramic frit or translucent glass. Any other clear option would always look darker and bluer.

I don't quite see the bait-and-switch in this project.

The very next sentence you typed contradicts that:

The problem lies in the fact that the render deceitfully depicts the windows on the white portion as being much lighter than they really would be.

Maybe if the balcony glass is bright white, it might end up looking more like the rendering. I sure hope they use white and not a dull, greyish, cream colour.

Thats a harsh statement. Instead they should merely be held accountable for their bait and switch render tactics. Developers need to accurately depict materials in their renders - if not the city should be able to say "No, we didnt approve this crap, we approved what was in the render", and make the developers correct the error.

It IS harsh, but what have they built that has looked remotely decent?

I know I'm asking a very stupid question, but, isn't there any danger in living right beside a substation? Does it not generate a huge EMG field? I know from a health care point of view, these fields can have some pretty serious side effects on the human body, depending on the field strength that is. Does anyone know anything about this? I hope I'm just being paranoid, but personally, aside from the hideous aesthetics they chose to clad this tower, you couldn't pay me to live beside a substation. Way to go Tridel, remind me why they are allowed to build in the core?

In my opinion, Reve, but most would disagree. I actually think that 300 Front will look decent once the fritted balcony glass goes up.

I think Reve looks great too, but it didn't until that last detail - namely the fritted balcony glass - went on. Market Wharf and Clear Spirit are another couple of buildings that have been changed (and improved) significantly by their fritted balcony glass in recent months. (There was a recent dust-up in the 460 Yonge thread over balconies…) It would seem that frit is a major new force in Toronto's architectural makeup kit.

I think Reve looks great too, but it didn't until that last detail - namely the fritted balcony glass - went on. Market Wharf and Clear Spirit are another couple of buildings that have been changed (and improved) significantly by their fritted balcony glass in recent months. (There was a recent dust-up in the 460 Yonge thread over balconies…) It would seem that frit is a major new force in Toronto's architectural makeup kit.

I hope you're right, I suppose we should wait to see the finished product before jumping to conclusion, but as is, blah!

I actually love Reve as well. Can't wait to see the new renders of Ten York in the coming days as well to see what that looks like. I am rather disapointed in this project so far mind you, but I will reserve final judgement until the finishing touches are being put on.

Back