Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

Wow! Thanks for that smart ass answer! It definitely proved to be useful to drive the conversation!

Right.

I'm not stupid. I'm quite aware that the plan obviously fits. I was just stating that given what the models and renderings look like, and also given that I pass by this location numerous times a day, it doesn't completely look like it would really fit. Key word: look.

In this case, what's the conversation?

"It doesn't look like it fits."

"Yeah, it fits."

That conversation didn't look like it needed a driver.

In this case, what's the conversation?

"It doesn't look like it fits."

"Yeah, it fits."

That conversation didn't look like it needed a driver.

It was simply an observation, and an opinion. There were only two things I was expecting to happen; Either someone would comment either agreeing or disagreeing, or nobody would comment at all.

I wasn't exactly expecting to be mocked.

But regardless, the point is I was simply making an observation. I'm not an engineer or a planner so I obviously wasn't challenging the fact that the developer thinks it will fit.

Fair enough... but when you call yourself 'xtremesniper', you have to expect some return fire, or that others may shoot first.

Meanwhile, I will agree with you in principle that it is often difficult to imagine how so various developments are to fit on their building site, and add that it is often surprising how much one can fit into a tight spot.

Fair enough... but when you call yourself 'xtremesniper', you have to expect some return fire, or that others may shoot first.

Meanwhile, I will agree with you in principle that it is often difficult to imagine how so various developments are to fit on their building site, and add that it is often surprising how much one can fit into a tight spot.

Hah, I'm aware that my username isn't exactly related to the context of these forums, but it's just a name I go by for fun.

But yes, I guess in general the downtown area is an optical illusion. It's funny because in the urban core you'd think "how are they going to fit all that in such a tiny space?" and then they actually pull it off. Meanwhile, in the suburbs you have acres of space, where you go "you mean that's the only thing they're putting in that entire lot?".

Oh, the lovely contrasts.

I'd love to see the hydro structures go underground. I wonder if, in the meantime, the facility in question could be hidden within a building - or at least some walls?

Of course it can be hidden. This building at Adelaide and George is also a substation. And look there's a condo next to it as well. And Vue is coming across the street.

Attachments

• IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 277
It's funny because in the urban core you'd think "how are they going to fit all that in such a tiny space?" and then they actually pull it off. Meanwhile, in the suburbs you have acres of space, where you go "you mean that's the only thing they're putting in that entire lot?".

Oh, the lovely contrasts.

Very astutely put!

If we depend on that turn of the century transformer station to keep the lights on downtown Toronto then we are really in trouble.

What century are you talking about? Personally, I love the look of the transformer and transmission lines. There is something so gloriously Soviet about it. That being said, I would like it even more if it weren't there.

300 Front Street West Grand Opening at the Tridel Store

The 300 Front Street West website is now live. The Grand Opening is now on at the Chapman designed Tridel Store at 2 Carlton St. (just east of Yonge St.). Click on the Tridel Store link for location map and times. Photography of the Tridel Store is coming soon and will be posted here when it is available.

I've never understood why a two bedroom layout - which these days is typically a slightly enlarged one bedroom and den - requires an extra space-wasting bathroom?

This is the type of cr*ppy layouts we get when RE gets into a bubble and developers are out to make every last $$$ at the expense of future residents.

What ever happened to form AND function ?!?!?
We as consumers demand more than just nice looking buildings on the outside.

WE WANT LIVEABLE SPACES AT PRICES AFFORDABLE BY LOCAL RESIDENTS, not just rich foreigners from the Middle East, Russia, Asia, India, America, etc ! ! !

We as consumers demand more than just nice looking buildings on the outside.

oh boy....so you DEMAND it?...wouldn't it just be easier to buy something else?

Why do I feel like this building will be remembered as the tipping point. A symbol of a condo bubble gone mad. Developer greed and consumer ignorance.

Seriously, it can't possibly get worse than this. $300,000 for a 480sqft unit?? There is absolutely no way that anyone would pay even MORE for a unit this size. Therefore I think this building is a symbol that we have reached the top of the market. It's all gonna be downhill from here.

Why do I feel like this building will be remembered as the tipping point. A symbol of a condo bubble gone mad. Developer greed and consumer ignorance.

Seriously, it can't possibly get worse than this. $300,000 for a 480sqft unit?? There is absolutely no way that anyone would pay even MORE for a unit this size. Therefore I think this building is a symbol that we have reached the top of the market. It's all gonna be downhill from here.

Housing afforbability is a complex issue with many of the components being beyond the developers control. Toronto remains fairly affordable when compared to other global cities - or even within Canada, Vancouver remains much higher priced then Toronto.

The affordability situation may continue to decline depending partially on market conditions as well as a number of government initiatives in the pipeline that will increase the cost of housing and cost of land in the future.

Back