Toronto 2830 Midland | 9.3m | 3s | 2552877 Ontario Ltd | Standard Practice

artyboy123

Member Bio
Reaction score
Taken from DevApp:

"Infill development comprising of additions to existing rental townhouse blocks for an additional 36 new stacked townhouse units."

DevApp Link: http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=VHqQKBCvQCGJZxVGwfIysA==

Photos are taken from Architectural Plan:

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.50.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.51.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 2.00.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 2.00.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 2.01.14 PM.png

As somebody who lives here this is such an awful idea. All of the parking and green space the community uses will be ripped up for this nonsense.

As somebody who lives here this is such an awful idea. All of the parking and green space the community uses will be ripped up for this nonsense.
Parking is nonsense. Rental housing is critically needed.

Every unit has dedicated parking, so that doesn't seem a terrible loss.

I have some sympathy for losing the only communal green space, and some trees. That said, every unit here has a small, private yard.

If a shortage of quality green space were a real concern, might I suggest pushing the City to invest in Highland Creek directly behind your homes?

1624366967715.png

There is clearly no real walking/cycling path, the creek is in a concrete channel, the slopes are bland and do nothing for nature. Reforesting them and planting wildflowers would add immeasurable value, both ecologically and recreationally, as well as aesthetically.

Looking at this aerial photo, I also don't see evidence of any seating ..........nor a mid-point bridge that would give teens in your community an easy shortcut to the High School. Just a thought.

1624367207640.png

Last edited:

I have some sympathy for losing the only communal green space, and some trees. That said, every unit here has a small, private yard.

If a shortage of quality green space were a real concern, might I suggest pushing the City to invest in Highland Creek directly behind your homes?

View attachment 329643

There is clearly no real walking/cycling path, the creek is in a concrete channel, the slopes are bland and do nothing for nature. Reforesting them and planting wildflowers would add immeasurable value, both ecologically and recreationally, as well as aesthetically.

Looking at this aerial photo, I also don't see evidence of any seating ..........nor a mid-point bridge that would give teens in your community an easy shortcut to the High School. Just a thought.

The parking here has always been a problem as these are 3 bedroom townhomes And most people have more than one vehicle so we have our garages taken up and our driveway which is fine but the problem that arises is that all 3 of the visitor parking spots will be removed.

View attachment 329643

View attachment 329644
The parking here has always been a problem as these are 3 bedroom townhomes And most people have more than one vehicle so we have our garages taken up and our driveway which is fine but the problem that arises is that all 3 of the visitor parking spots will be removed.

As for the green space there was originally a fenced in park at the back of the property which has been removed. I have gotten in contact with the city to try and do something about the creek behind the property as well. Possibly repave the pathway and trim the trees back so it is actually usable.

Also this build really wont be adding much more affordable housing. The new homes have already been offered to existing tenants children and other family members.
Im glad more people will be able to have somewhere to live but maybe management should worry about the problems that are already existing before building new homes. Seems like a money pit to me.

Parking is nonsense. Rental housing is critically needed.
Parking here is actually quite important as most families living here have more than 1 vehicle. With this new build they will be removing the 3 existing visitor parking spots. The new homes that are being built also will bot come with parking so where are the people who are moving in going to put their vehicles.
Also yes rental housing is critically needed but this has already been offered to existing tenants and their families. Do you know how much they will be charging monthly for these units? From what i know they will not be affordable. Just another way to make the rich richer.

I'm not unsympathetic; but I think there are a variety of solutions at hand.

One is to ask if the neighbouring Church would allow visitor parking (be that by paid arrangement w/your landlord, or as a courtesy to the community.)

Another would be to reduce reliance on cars in the community, by requesting carshare nearby (whether the landlord provide a space, or the Church, or the City); also worth asking for better transit;
and as I noted, pedestrian infrastructure making a walk to the High school easier etc.

You may not get all that you ask for; but at least asking is a start, and opens the possibility of both more housing and meeting the needs of existing residents.

As for the green space there was originally a fenced in park at the back of the property which has been removed. I have gotten in contact with the city to try and do something about the creek behind the property as well. Possibly repave the pathway and trim the trees back so it is actually usable.

Good for you (seriously). As noted I would suggest an even more ambitious ask; a new pedestrian bridge at the High School; a naturalized creek and slopes, and some seating.

Also this build really wont be adding much more affordable housing. The new homes have already been offered to existing tenants children and other family members.

Housing prices are, at least in part, a function of supply and demand. Where there are more units, vacancy is higher and landlords can ask less money. Even more units at, or above average rent tend to have the effect of forcing down rents in older, less attractive units.

but maybe management should worry about the problems that are already existing before building new homes.

Management should certainly be concerned with the condition of existing housing stock, and this is a real issue you can raise with the City, that outstanding work orders need to be fulfilled, any leaks stopped up, any peeling paint re-done before the additional housing is built. The City will likely be receptive to this type of concern.

Back