Toronto  2636 Eglinton West | 112.1m | 33s | Fora | gh3

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Lobbyist Registry tells us the above assembly is in play.

This site is immediately adjacent to an Eglinton Crosstown Station at Trethewey and Eglinton.

1665165671967.png

Site size: ~15000ft2

I know we've discussed these properties before, but I can't figure out where.

Site as is:

1665165754132.png

The submission has been made to the City, and we've got a front page story up here, and a database file attached above!

Funny how BlogTO claims they have an exclusive on this......

* Note UT had the first look at the assembly, as seen in post #1 in this thread.

Renders from UT:

1671811923333.png

1671811953220.png

1671811978635.png

1671812010324.png

1671812035843.png

I think it’s great that we decided to rebuild the school as is after the fire versus incorporating some new development in the rebuild. Surely there won’t be a desire of new residential development in this area. It is just beside an LRT station after all.

The renderings look nice.

Look how many single family homes are in the second last photo though, NIMBYs gonna have a field day 🤣

I wonder if the floorplate could have been extended over the station entrance.
I can’t remember the reason but I thought that the ttc made it a priority rightfully or wrongfully that nothing would be built over any of these stations. I believe yonge and eglinton was the exception because there’s already buildings there. Maybe somebody remembers the logic.

I like the overall aesthetics and the geometry of the building, but I wonder if the floor-to-ceiling bars isn't form over function. Personally, I don't want the view from my balcony and/or windows to be through metal bars. That would be a hard pass for me.

I can’t remember the reason but I thought that the ttc made it a priority rightfully or wrongfully that nothing would be built over any of these stations. I believe yonge and eglinton was the exception because there’s already buildings there. Maybe somebody remembers the logic.

A mix of COST and Local Politics in the late Miller years when these stations were being designed. There are a handful of stations along the Crosstown that allow for overbuild... but most are not designed to support the weight on direct development above...

A mix of COST and Local Politics in the late Miller years when these stations were being designed. There are a handful of stations along the Crosstown that allow for overbuild... but most are not designed to support the weight on direct development above...

There's a reply to that Twitter thread you referenced that is right up my alley:

Marginal costs of prepping for developments upstairs are 'negligible' if it's all done as a pre-planned, co-excavation development, according to Hong Kong MTR executives. If you wait until stations are designed as single use or worse, operating, co-development costs soar.

While it was the floor-to-ceiling bars that prompted me to register and reply, what was equally striking to me was the renderings of a station with nothing above it and someone's else's tower beside it. This isn't unique to this station, of course, but it's illustrative.

As a Toronto expat, and long-time resident of Hong Kong where I get to enjoy arguably the best transit system in the world, those renderings encapsulate everything that is wrong about transit station development in Toronto.

Here in Hong Kong, it's almost a given that there would be a tower directly above the station. It would be planned and built, as well as likely owned and operated by the MTR (the local equivalent of the TTC, albeit for rail only).

They would have likely bought up the whole block (or been conceded by the government). The station would be underground, with multiple levels of revenue-earning additional commercial space and/or parking, with a podium and at least two towers, but likely three or four (if not one much larger one).

Some of that tower space might be for sale (ie, condos), but more likely it would be rental housing and/or office leasing, forming the bulk of the transit operator's perpetual non-transit income stream on the site (along with any parking income and/or the multilevel commercial leasing, as well as shop rentals and advertising units within the station itself).

While I'm very familiar with the TTC model and its perpetual woes, it still boggles my mind that Toronto continues to struggle to build rail transit in this way, with unsustainable costs and no effort to leverage the perpetual revenue streams that transit development should bring to the transit operator.

Before I left Toronto, I would have bristled at any suggestion that the TTC should be anything less than a full public entity and at anything that smacked of privatization. I think it's how we're conditioned to be, weened largely on bad American examples in the past.

But after experiencing some of the best transit in the world across many Asian countries, there's no doubt that the TTC and the way it's structured isn't remotely close to being the better way. We could do things so much better in Toronto if the status quo wasn't such a strong pull in Canadian governance.

And it's hardly privatization over here, or at least what Canadians might think of it as. Yes, the MTR is a publicly listed company here, which is really a key part of driving its culture and different ways of doing things. But the government retains 75% of the stock, so it's very much publicly driven.

If anyone's curious about the MTR, here's a little widget from a local newspaper with some key facts (from 2017 but still pertinent in its grand lines).

Apologies for my little soapbox rant and I don't mean to hijack this thread about this particular station. I imagine this comparison to Asian transit operators has already been discussed elsewhere in this forum. But those renderings of this station with someone else's tower beside it, just really struck a chord.

Don't mean to be a bummer. I get back to Toronto regularly and am happy to see it finally getting more rail lines. But it's just sad, as it could be so much bigger and better.

There's a reply to that Twitter thread you referenced that is right up my alley:

While it was the floor-to-ceiling bars that prompted me to register and reply, what was equally striking to me was the renderings of a station with nothing above it and someone's else's tower beside it. This isn't unique to this station, of course, but it's illustrative.

As a Toronto expat, and long-time resident of Hong Kong where I get to enjoy arguably the best transit system in the world, those renderings encapsulate everything that is wrong about transit station development in Toronto.

Here in Hong Kong, it's almost a given that there would be a tower directly above the station. It would be planned and built, as well as likely owned and operated by the MTR (the local equivalent of the TTC, albeit for rail only).

They would have likely bought up the whole block (or been conceded by the government). The station would be underground, with multiple levels of revenue-earning additional commercial space and/or parking, with a podium and at least two towers, but likely three or four (if not one much larger one).

Some of that tower space might be for sale (ie, condos), but more likely it would be rental housing and/or office leasing, forming the bulk of the transit operator's perpetual non-transit income stream on the site (along with any parking income and/or the multilevel commercial leasing, as well as shop rentals and advertising units within the station itself).

While I'm very familiar with the TTC model and its perpetual woes, it still boggles my mind that Toronto continues to struggle to build rail transit in this way, with unsustainable costs and no effort to leverage the perpetual revenue streams that transit development should bring to the transit operator.

Before I left Toronto, I would have bristled at any suggestion that the TTC should be anything less than a full public entity and at anything that smacked of privatization. I think it's how we're conditioned to be, weened largely on bad American examples in the past.

But after experiencing some of the best transit in the world across many Asian countries, there's no doubt that the TTC and the way it's structured isn't remotely close to being the better way. We could do things so much better in Toronto if the status quo wasn't such a strong pull in Canadian governance.

And it's hardly privatization over here, or at least what Canadians might think of it as. Yes, the MTR is a publicly listed company here, which is really a key part of driving its culture and different ways of doing things. But the government retains 75% of the stock, so it's very much publicly driven.

If anyone's curious about the MTR, here's a little widget from a local newspaper with some key facts (from 2017 but still pertinent in its grand lines).

Apologies for my little soapbox rant and I don't mean to hijack this thread about this particular station. I imagine this comparison to Asian transit operators has already been discussed elsewhere in this forum. But those renderings of this station with someone else's tower beside it, just really struck a chord.

Don't mean to be a bummer. I get back to Toronto regularly and am happy to see it finally getting more rail lines. But it's just sad, as it could be so much bigger and better.

I've periodically suggested to the powers that be here that Toronto should just hire MTR to restructure the TTC along its lines............never been able to get anyone to bite.

I like the overall aesthetics and the geometry of the building, but I wonder if the floor-to-ceiling bars isn't form over function. Personally, I don't want the view from my balcony and/or windows to be through metal bars. That would be a hard pass for me.
It appears (and I would assume) that the bars are on the bedroom sides, not in front of the main living spaces. It's an interesting way to filter the light a bit and provide privacy on the lower floors. Form and function

The link to the Application was never posted in thread, so I'll add it here:

Then I will note, this has been appealed to OLT

First CMC is scheduled for June 11, 2024 - no merit hearing yet scheduled.

Back