Toronto 258-264 Christie Street | ?m | 8s | Batay-Csorba

ProjectEnd

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Batay teasing some new stuff at Christie and Dupont:

GNtMjeVXEAI9lXW.jpg

GNtMjeZW8AAzIAW.jpg

I like everything except the ground floor expression which does not appear to accommodate retail properly (no signage band)

I like everything except the ground floor expression which does not appear to accommodate retail properly (no signage band)
Counterpoint... we are seeing a huge shift in demand for retail (if anyone on this board should know that, it's you ;). I don't know if mandating retail especially on a secondary street is beneficial, especially if the retail is just going to wind up empty, or a weed shop. It looks like this is some sort of community space? I agree with you that we need "animating features" but not sure we should be mandating retail when the demand for it is nil.
That being said - THIS BUILDING IS GORGEOUS.

Counterpoint... we are seeing a huge shift in demand for retail (if anyone on this board should know that, it's you ;). I don't know if mandating retail especially on a secondary street is beneficial, especially if the retail is just going to wind up empty, or a weed shop.

I hear you, and if this were mid-block on Christie, replacing SFH, you'd get no argument from me at all.

But as this would replace existing retail space, is within one block of an intersecting arterial road, both roads have bus service; I would need to be sold that retail is not viable here.

I do recognize there are existing vacancies, but would argue there are reasons for that beyond innate (non)viability.

The additional density, plus streetscape upgrades should improve viability here vs the status quo.

Oh my I love that turquoise brick and there's some interesting detailing too. Certainly not getting my hopes up though.

My vote is the colour is actually teal blue (it matches the cotton shirt I'm wearing). Either way I luv it.

And my hopes remain up until ...

Edit to add: I checked out this firm's website (for the 2nd time this year ;-) and for those who don't know them, they do pretty amazing stuff with brick. Originally from Ontario, Batay-Ssorba are a husband and wife architecture team who returned home from Los Angeles back in 2010, where they had worked under Frank Gehry and Thom Mayne.

Check out the website:
https://www.batay-csorba.com/

Last edited:
My vote is the colour is actually teal blue (it matches the cotton shirt I'm wearing). Either way I luv it.

And my hopes remain up until ...

Edit to add: I checked out this firm's website (for the 2nd time this year ;-) and for those who don't know them, they do pretty amazing stuff with brick. Originally from Ontario, Batay-Ssorba are a husband and wife architecture team who returned home from Los Angeles back in 2010, where they had worked under Frank Gehry and Thom Mayne.

Check out the website:
https://www.batay-csorba.com/
Yea, I concede, that's definitely more teal than turquoise.

Also, Los Angeles. That explains it. I'm thinking they spent some time admiring the Eastern Columbia Building while there. I mean, how could you not:

EasternColumbia-Photo-1.jpg

Back