Toronto 245 Queen Street East | 94.3m | 25s | ONE Properties | Graziani + Corazza

Sorry folks, I like it. I live up the street I'm sick of the way the area is now and I wouldn't mind seeing these out my window. I don't see how this is disrespectful of the community. It is not displacing people, and it will extend the skyline east. Also this will hopefully sooner than later be a transit hub.

I dunno... it reminds me of a dubious, smartass trio, wise-cracking and complaining - secretly hoping no one notices how stodgy they are.

Sorry folks, I like it. I live up the street I'm sick of the way the area is now and I wouldn't mind seeing these out my window. I don't see how this is disrespectful of the community. It is not displacing people, and it will extend the skyline east. Also this will hopefully sooner than later be a transit hub.

Hub than the towers. The other way has a poor track record in the city. It doesn't fit the neighbourhood context developed in the past ten years. It represents overbuilding. The podium height alone is an appropriate scale. I couldn't care less about the extent of the skyline. Prominent tacky architecture doesn't do a skyline justice either. In other words, this architecture will not stand the test of time.

I believe the common criticism is that while the towers won't directly displace people, the type of people that will move in might. They might in the terms of what kind of businesses are attracted to the area, and how changing tastes/demographics affects local established businesses.

I believe the common criticism is that while the towers won't directly displace people, the type of people that will move in might. They might in the terms of what kind of businesses are attracted to the area, and how changing tastes/demographics affects local established businesses.

Sounds good to me. This sort of thing should be decided by the market, not by governments and planning departments.

One of the nicest parts of walking along that stretch of Queen, however imperfect it may be, is that old building that Diamond Taxi currently operates out of. It's in rough shape and their employees are always smoking outside of it, but the building itself has character and keeps some semblance of history and urban fabric on the south side of Queen along that stretch. I think it would be a shame to lose it.

I feel like it's jus too big for the area and the block. Looks like they are just sandwiched in there. Also think it's too tall.

Sounds good to me. This sort of thing should be decided by the market, not by governments and planning departments.
Governments and planning departments should only look out for the rich and well-enough-off, then?

Although I like the ideas and social ramifications aside. I'm not sure I even like the design in general. They do look like other world robots a tad.

Really hoping the OMB squashes this one now. Not a fan of the shopping mall feel or the lack of regard for heritage. As @maestro said, let's get shovels in the ground for the Relief Line before we start building 40+ storey towers on Queen East.

Governments and planning departments should only look out for the rich and well-enough-off, then?

One wonders if Daryl Katz became a major driving force in One Properties. They are partners in the ICE District development and One Propoerties went from obscurity to a player in such a short time. This does look like the Rexall of developments too.

Why do we assume these condos are available to only the rich and well-off? It is not the Shangrila.

Admittedly they won't be cheap, but most of them are not upscale or beyond reach either. They are after all condos with small space, often starting from the 300s. I think an average Toronto family can afford living in this condos, can't they? You yourself and many others on this forum probably can afford it.

Additionally many units probably will be rental properties too, and large supply checks downtown rents.

I think Queen/Sherbourne will definitely change dramatically. The market is too strong and the trend has been very obvious.

Well-off? I said well-enough-off, to indicate that there are some for who residency here will work without them being considered simply "well-off", whatever the required income for that is these days. There are a lot of people being priced out of Toronto right now, the number being able to purchase or rent homes in the city dropping as property values rise faster than incomes.

Beyond them, there are the marginalized, many of whom live in the area at the moment. Their fate is connected to redevelopment of the area, so to ignore that while ploughing ahead with redevelopment is to threaten them. While it's debatable whether everything that is being done for the marginalized now is enough, or whether the money is being spent most wisely, they do require some care from "governments and planning departments" too. I consider @Waterloo_Guy's post to be naïve and uncaring, and I'm calling him on it.

Back