Toronto 245 Queen Street East | 94.3m | 25s | ONE Properties | Graziani + Corazza

Relevant fact: 90 Ontario used to be a shoe factory that both my grandfather and mother worked at. The place was filled with asbestos, and years of exposure led to my grandfather passing from mesothelioma. I'm assuming they have since removed all the asbestos.

There are a bunch of artist's studios in there. I know of a few photography studios for rent and a well-known stained glass worker. I've seen a few lofts listed on Airbnb over the years.

I'm a bit concerned that this might be a similar situation to the Coffin Factory over on Niagara, another building with immense character inside and out facing development pressure. http://coffinfactory.tumblr.com/

Well, aren't the buildings on the north side of that development supposed to remain "home work" units? RE: the coffin factory

I hope that's still the case. I haven't heard anything since the latest posts in the P&C thread, but these are the kind of spaces that would be extremely unfortunate to lose to sterilization in favour of bland, ultra-conservative condos.

I hope that's still the case. I haven't heard anything since the latest posts in the P&C thread, but these are the kind of spaces that would be extremely unfortunate to lose to sterilization in favour of bland, ultra-conservative condos.

Considering the alignment of the RL, I think intensification of use is well worth the general price of sterilization. It will get sterilized one way or another even without redevelopment and densification.

AoD

Wow. Good luck gentrifying this neighbourhood. It's one of the worst areas in the city. If I lived in this building I'd sure hope the front desk security was beefed up. This may possibly be the worst 4 block area on the east side of Yonge.

Considering the alignment of the RL, I think intensification of use is well worth the general price of sterilization. It will get sterilized one way or another even without redevelopment and densification.

AoD
Agree that the overall impact is hugely positive, just a shame that the older building can't be integrated more substantially than a facade. It looks like we're potentially losing more of the same with the Bjake Ingels development on King West (another net gain, none the less).

Unfortunately it looks like this building at 251 Queen E will be lost.

upload_2016-2-26_17-27-50.png

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.654...honAEBd34Mb8I8N0Ow!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-26_17-27-50.png
    upload_2016-2-26_17-27-50.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,332
It shouldn't be demolished. It's a prominent local landmark along the street. The copious amount of stone used on the facade strongly suggests heritage value--stone was used infrequently to clad facades in Toronto at the turn of the 20th century. It was mainly institutions with deep pockets that invested in stone like banks, big business, the government, universities and churches with well-heeled parishioners.

AoD

Why would the city even entertain rewarding arsonists? They're bad for the community.

Impressed with the renderings and the proposed density. Definitely will not be out of place if the Relief Line gets a station through here. I disagree with @innsertnamehere , height here will not preclude higher density mid-rise and low-rise development in the surrounding neighbourhood, so long as our zoning allows for it.

I hope they keep any significant facade's like the 251 Queen example above. Otherwise, I am a big fan of the proposed pedestrian realm and shops in these renderings, although I wonder who in this neighbourhood will be using it?

Back