Toronto 2323 Yonge | 190.8m | 58s | RioCan | DIALOG

Since there is an interest on this building's facade they should keep it and build on top ! That the third or more 60s style concrete facades that are subject to being torn down or even covered with glass etc. They are now over 50 years old and nice ones should be preserved by at least capping them with metal the same way they look.

Someone on Reddit made a sighting of him around a year ago:

Wow, Randy Ford's let himself go.

+1 on lamenting the loss of the extant building; it's a shame to lose in and of itself, but it's also frustrating to lose the variety of our building stock. Some days it feels like everything's getting visually flattened and the texture of the city just gets more generic.

If so, hopefully they preserve as much of the original building as possible. They did well with 481 University.
No they didn't. They came up with a re-skinning that respects the old window proportions, and the old concrete is still underneath it all (which is good), but that's it: the cast concrete windows are gone and forgotten. As they were a problem on that building, (single pane, crumbling), if would be great to find a way to replicate them for buildings like this one with thermally efficient windows and material that's treated to weather better… and of course do it inexpensively. We need for engineers working on this to save our architecture!

No they didn't. They came up with a re-skinning that respects the old window proportions, and the old concrete is still underneath it all (which is good), but that's it: the cast concrete windows are gone and forgotten. As they were a problem on that building, (single pane, crumbling), if would be great to find a way to replicate them for buildings like this one with thermally efficient windows and material that's treated to weather better… and of course do it inexpensively. We need for engineers working on this to save our architecture!

488? Agreed on those counts. I was referring to the B-H design at 481 Uni which is to be the largest facade retention in North America..which is pretty impressive (irrespective of one’s views on facadectomies)

Just an FYI, my speculation about Bregman Hamann is referring to the beautiful existing office structure at 2323 Yonge, not the proposal that's just been submitted.

488? Agreed on those counts. I was referring to the B-H design at 481 Uni which is to be the largest facade retention in North America..which is pretty impressive (irrespective of one’s views on facadectomies)
Oops, I'm sorry, I read it too quickly. Agreed!!!!!

Some photos of the interior from Google images, love those windows:

1593353837108.png

1593354489993.png

1593354554420.png

View attachment 254604

View attachment 254606
View attachment 254607

Vertical instead of horizontal, but they rather remind me of the windows inside our subway cars.

View attachment 254604

View attachment 254606
View attachment 254607

How is this not a protected building!!! Will be disgraceful if this is torn down.

You gotta be kidding me. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but this building is honestly a landmark IMHO. It's unique design shouldn't be pushed aside or forgotten for another condo project in this area.

Ah yes, I've seen the cowboy man himself many times, coming home from work or what have you. I saw him once in March.

Yeah, like I wrote in the first page, I am kinda shocked that this building is not heritage but the utterly mundane and falling apart commercial strips along Yonge, Mt. Pleasant, and Bayview are targeted for heritage designation.

I've always considered this building, 1200 Bay, and the Padulo building at St. Clair & Yonge to be siblings scattered through the city. Mid-rise office buildings from the 60-70's continue to be an overlooked and fading breed. It's a shame that there hasn't be stronger initiative to recognize them heritage before it's too late.

Back