Toronto 225 Queen East | 121.4m | 37s | Dash Developments | Arcadis

lol yeah I mean personally I just interpreted it as the light coming through the units. Not sure this is intentional enough to be called "false advertising" IMO 😂.
I was half kidding w the false advertisng claim. Oh & absolutely it was intentional for a better looking rendering that will most likely be in the grey blue colour scheme fam. Again.

This one is on the agenda of Tomorrow's City Council meeting in the form of a Request for Direction Report.

I assume in reviewing the structure that this is a settlement offer, broadly consistent w/the updates posted here in June.

Docs got posted - now 36 storey with a big step back at 34... I'm unsure if this is approved or just a proposed settlement?

settlement letter here - https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-238199.pdf

1691447928828.png

I hope some good things happen to this forsaken corner. The victorian brick storefronts on the kitty corner have beautiful bones but are currently dilapidated. I hope they are saved like the brick corner unit here. Or is it simply facaded?

I hope some good things happen to this forsaken corner. The victorian brick storefronts on the kitty corner have beautiful bones but are currently dilapidated. I hope they are saved like the brick corner unit here. Or is it simply facaded?

From my understanding, the existing building right at the SW corner of Sherbourne & Queen will have its facade preserved and restored to red brick, with remodeling on parts that require it. While the connecting white brick/stone parts of the podium will be newly built.

46771-159005.jpeg

Well I was wrong...though I've never understood shadow impacts. Some parks are more important than others?
Even though the government is at least a month late on the PMTSA announcement, I'd imagine the City knows it's coming and understands that shadows are no longer a planning argument within those zones. They're probably just cutting their losses and moving on to the next one.

Well I was wrong...though I've never understood shadow impacts. Some parks are more important than others?

Last part first..........yes, actually. Sun-protected parks are specifically listed, not all parks are listed.

Let's look at the actual sun/shadow study:

1691592441254.png

1691592473621.png

Shadow impacts in June are negligible:

1691592575054.png

September:

1691592615475.png

Overall, the impacts here aren't severe, particularly due to the time of day.

A great deal of the shadow falls on buildings (Armory/Arena-Community Centre)

Mid-morning is generally a period of low activity.

I think the argument for limiting shadows here would hinge on precedent, if one thinks this could create a wall of similar height all the way along Queen to Jarvis, then this would have to be opposed, the resulting height cap though might be something as low as 7s.

If one believes most of the rest of the block is safe from significant height, this one is not a big difference maker.

UT currently records no other applications along Queen west to Jarvis. A quick glance by me suggests, that while possible, development opportunities are constrained from here to George by heritage facades that would be protected and by lot depth limits at only 34M.

The s/e corner of Jarvis/Queen is more interesting.

However, it's in public/non-profit ownership as a shelter.

I think the site to watch for height/shadow issues here will be the block that includes the Petro Canada on Richmond. If assembled with its immediate neighbours, it's a ~30,000ft2 site.

Last edited:
Who owns the Moss Park apartment buildings (the ones between Sherbourne and Parliament? Huge site, can't belive there hasn't been intensification proposals yet.

Back