Toronto 2180 Yonge | 247m | 65s | Oxford Properties | Hariri Pontarini

IIRC from the public meeting in December, they were saying that they would be sensitively reskinning it to improve its thermal performance, and to unify it around its base where changes are being made. The banking pavilion right at the corner of Yonge and Eg will be removed, the building it's attached to to the south of it is being removed, and the the west side of it at ground level will be rebuilt to address the new pedestrian mews through the site.

Am I the only one who fondly remembers the uniquely convoluted path to Canada Square Cinemas through that corner?

Up the escalator, through into the corridor which was a mixture of shops, offices and back-of-house space, plus an elevator lobby for the tower............down some stairs, up some stairs.......around a corner and hang the corner..........

It was the alternative route to walking outside, in inclement weather.....only to pass the Mandarin on the way to an escalator to the endless hall of posters that was the intended entrance.

Toronto Model 01-11-23 Canada Square.png

IIRC from the public meeting in December, they were saying that they would be sensitively reskinning it to improve its thermal performance, and to unify it around its base where changes are being made. The banking pavilion right at the corner of Yonge and Eg will be removed, the building it's attached to to the south of it is being removed, and the the west side of it at ground level will be rebuilt to address the new pedestrian mews through the site.

I think the rendering Figure 50 from the previous page best illustrates what they're planning to do with that respective corner conceptually. It's pretty neat, IMO.

Although the layout might be improved, I hope the actual architecture turns out like the first rendering. The design & materials looked higher quality.

Although the layout might be improved, I hope the actual architecture turns out like the first rendering. The design & materials looked higher quality.
As has been mentioned a few times now, HPA have said not to pay attention to the external expression at this point, that these are basically massing diagrams at this point.

In my post of the Docs, I had this to say:

First real complaint................ a 5-lane cross-section for Yonge? The City has reduced Yonge to one-lane each way up to Davisville and I'm told Transportation had every intention of extending that up to Lawrence or beyond as soon as the Crosstown construction was done.

The cross-section is non-compliant with the vision for the area.

1673539383431.png
\

I have now confirmed that Transportation Services is aware of this and this has been flagged. Yonge here is planned for Cycle Tracks.

Am I the only one who fondly remembers the uniquely convoluted path to Canada Square Cinemas through that corner?
I know that path well but I'm not fond of it. The lower levels of the building from the walkway to CIBC to level 2 or 3 are a circulation nightmare. It is as if they divided the work to create the building into three without any coordination at all and then glued it together with ramps, thin corridors, and stairs.

I know that path well but I'm not fond of it. The lower levels of the building from the walkway to CIBC to level 2 or 3 are a circulation nightmare. It is as if they divided the work to create the building into three without any coordination at all and then glued it together with ramps, thin corridors, and stairs.

I didn't meant to suggest it was a good design, merely that it was so oddly quirky it was amusing. Felt like entering a store (or cinema) via the back door.

Article from Renx with lots of details:

Community Consultation Meeting - Canada Square (2180-2210 Yonge Street, 15 Eglinton Avenue West, 20 & 46 Berwick Avenue)​

Wednesday, June 7, 2023 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Eastern Time

City staff invite you to join a Community Consultation Meeting for 2180-2210 Yonge Street, 15 Eglinton Avenue West, 20 & 46 Berwick Avenue (Canada Square) to discuss the Official Plan and Zoning By-law amendment applications to permit a mixed-use development consisting of 5 new tall buildings, the retention of the existing building at 2200 Yonge Street, and a new public park.

The proposal consists of 72,850 square metres of non-residential floor area and 2,892 residential units.

REGISTER - https://toronto.webex.com/weblink/register/r007e518399285f2b10094e7651570ee1

Community Consultation Meeting - Canada Square (2180-2210 Yonge Street, 15 Eglinton Avenue West, 20 & 46 Berwick Avenue)​

Wednesday, June 7, 2023 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Eastern Time

City staff invite you to join a Community Consultation Meeting for 2180-2210 Yonge Street, 15 Eglinton Avenue West, 20 & 46 Berwick Avenue (Canada Square) to discuss the Official Plan and Zoning By-law amendment applications to permit a mixed-use development consisting of 5 new tall buildings, the retention of the existing building at 2200 Yonge Street, and a new public park.​

The proposal consists of 72,850 square metres of non-residential floor area and 2,892 residential units.​

REGISTER - https://toronto.webex.com/weblink/register/r007e518399285f2b10094e7651570ee1

This gotta be one of the most exciting public consultations to date!

Back