Toronto 2157 Lake Shore Boulevard West | 49.35m | 13s | Stay Inn Hospitality | Arcadis

Considering the height of the towers in the area, I am not sure how this is "too high" - and architecturally, it is more interesting than 90% of the builds in the area.

AoD

Considering the height of the towers in the area, I am not sure how this is "too high"

I assume the poster was meaning the streetwall height, rather than total build height. There is essentially no setback here.

- and architecturally, it is more interesting than 90% of the builds in the area.

AoD

Now hold on, while true, that's a pretty low bar to clear.

Considering the height of the towers in the area, I am not sure how this is "too high" - and architecturally, it is more interesting than 90% of the builds in the area.

AoD
I meant the streetwall height. A better setback should be considered, especially on the Lakeshore side.

I assume the poster was meaning the streetwall height, rather than total build height. There is essentially no setback here.

Now hold on, while true, that's a pretty low bar to clear.

And that's a bad thing? Low streetwall height and excessive setback is inappropriate to start off with. As to the issue of the low bar - at least it cleared it, which I can't say the same for for said 90% of other builds.

AoD

And that's a bad thing? Low streetwall height

We will have to disagree here. More than about 6 storeys straight-up starts to have very negative effects on wind at sidewalk level.

Studies also show a strong preference among pedestrians for low(er) streetwall heights, generally not exceeding six storeys on wide roads, and four storeys on narrower ones.

and excessive setback is inappropriate to start off with. As to the issue of the low bar - at least it cleared it, which I can't say the same for for said 90% of other builds.

AoD

'Excessive' setbacks are by definition 'excessive'. However, some setbacks are essential to mitigating wind, and to creating a pleasant, walkable, environment at street level.

In this case, there's next to no setbacks.

Edit to add, for clarity, this building is not something over which I am exercised; but I see no reason to defend it either.

Its fairly mediocre and really adds little, if any value.

Pleasant is a lofty goal with the other side of the street being a freeway. You're right. Every bit helps

Back