Hamilton 213 King Street West | 94.3m | 30s | Vrancor Development | ZO1

I t
Christ, another eyesore from Vrancor.
I think it would be more noteworthy if it WASN'T an eyesore from vrancor - we all just assume terrible black white and grey prefab garbage with him.

On the other hand, it makes the developments on each side of him look much better in contrast :)

Well.
There shouldn't be. The plans brought it right up against it. There will be a hole cut between the two buildings because the Marquee building will share parking.
..wellll it depends on which floor plan you look at - there is that stone jut-out on the building next door so one of the plans shows a POTENTIAL slight gap between them but yes technically it should be butted right up to the building. You can see it here:

jBwyaQOh.png

THAT floorplan CLEARLY shows a gap to account for that corner that juts out a bit which leads me to believe it might be a wall, in front of a wall. Not the structure like, fused to that wall. Now granted that does appear to possibly be the second floor. The first floor looks like it is RIGHT up to the wall, so it's tricky to ascertain..

1kQ2KMIh.png

I still think it's a miracle noone tagged the wall this building is butting up against.. I wonder why.. I mean.. I know the taggers have a "code" - they generally wait until a building is abandoned or condemned and then move in and "claim" it - and they tend to attack hoarding as well, or really high up buildings like PAC did that you could see for miles.. but yeah that wall ramained pristine, which is a miracle.

Last edited:
There will be a small expansion gap. You can't have two building touch like that, otherwise it completely changes the dynamic properties of each building - for things like wind, seismic, etc.

There will be a small expansion gap. You can't have two building touch like that, otherwise it completely changes the dynamic properties of each building - for things like wind, seismic, etc.
That makes sense to me, but also is odd to me too. Our house and many other buildings in Hamilton are built right up against each other. Not the same building, just two separate buildings wall to wall, so I'm interested how that worked for so long but not anymore.

I'm also curious how the cut out will work for the walkway between buildings.

Yeah they literally did that for the cobalt towers, and as chris said, they used to do it all the time. In fact its one reason the one building in gore park is collapsing because they demolishthed the building that used to be connected to its "outer/inner" wall. Those interconnected walls allowed stability for things such as rowhouses.

Note of interest here. Reviewing the architectural documents here, this property has quite a bit of retail space, and the one unit seems to have a second floor commercial space, likely usable only by the first floor tenant and not possible to be split into a separate unit.

Yeah I noticed the second story has some areas where you can look down below, so mezzanine I guess.

Yeah they literally did that for the cobalt towers, and as chris said, they used to do it all the time. In fact its one reason the one building in gore park is collapsing because they demolishthed the building that used to be connected to its "outer/inner" wall. Those interconnected walls allowed stability for things such as rowhouses.
For Cobalt they were designed together, that's fine. If the dynamic properties are understood before, it can be designed for. If you have one building finished, then another random ones comes along at a later time it will alter the properties of the first. Small houses and stuff can touch each other too, that's mostly fine. I'm talking large buildings. The implications are greater.

Looks like that answers our questions :)

The foam is a good solution as that will factor in expansion and contraction and still leave breathing room for moisture etc.

Back