Toronto 212 King Street West | 250m | 80s | Dream Office | SHoP

they always chop the building height.

In point of fact, this is not true, I reported a few times in the last year when building heights increased through the planning process.

It's true they are more likely to come down than go up, it is not universal.

Equally important to say, making a building shorter shouldn't be equated with 'ruining' it.

Taller is by no means intrinsically better.

Last edited:
In point of fact, this is not true, I reported a few times in the last year when building heights increased through the planning process.

It's true they are more likely to come down than go up, it is not universal.

Equally important to say, making a building shorter should be equated with 'ruining' it.

Taller is by no means intrinsically better.
you're wrong, they destroyed the art and beauty of many buildings in the last decade or so

you're wrong, they destroyed the art and beauty of many buildings in the last decade or so

You are confusing your opinion with facts.

I am not 'wrong'.

You also don't seem to have a very good understanding what City Planning actually has control over.

I'm not going to let City Planning off the hook for some poor choices; but far more poor choices have come from developers themselves.

You are confusing your opinion with facts.

I am not 'wrong'.

You also don't seem to have a very good understanding what City Planning actually has control over.

I'm not going to let City Planning off the hook for some poor choices; but far more poor choices have come from developers themselves.
look at what city hall did to Gehry's Toronto towers and trump tower, they mauled them and now they don't look as beautiful. and this is just two examples and there are plenty of more. you're the one that's confused

look at what city hall did to Gehry's Toronto towers and trump tower, they mauled them and now they don't look as beautiful. and this is just two examples and there are plenty of more. you're the one that's confused

Huh? The first iteration of Gehry was just a vision; and the proponent couldn't even make the second iteration work financially for them. As to Trump - how exactly?

AoD

Just want to point out: financial returns for developers diminish really quickly beyond the ~250m height. Adding height beyond that significantly increases the cost of the building, and it's not proportional to the increase in floor area. Meaning, to go beyond that height, they have to find ways to sell floor area for very high price/sqft.

Also considering that the market is currently constructing quite a few ultra-high end units already, avoiding that risk is pretty reasonable.

Back