Toronto 210 Islington | 85.47m | 26s | Taheri | Icon

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This currently vacant site (parking), which was previously home to a 1s produce warehouse that succumbed to fire a few years back, is now the subject of a development application.

The site is at the intersection of Islington and Birmingham in southern Etobicoke, and runs along Birmingham from Islington to Eighth Street.

Site as is:

1701952920534.png

1701952953806.png

Application:

From the above:

1701953055098.png

1701953209525.png

1701953247757.png

Site Plan:

1701953101102.png

Ground Floor Plan:

1701953314375.png

1701953349889.png

1701953437612.png

Parking Ratio: 0.42

Elevator Ratio: 3 elevators, 352 units = 0.85 elevators per 100 units

Comments: On the architecture............its Icon, sigh. Note to architects, JENGA is a game, not a building template.

The height has no nearby precedent. The nearest precedent is 14s on Coin Street about 240M away.

I take no issue w/the height intrinsically, but I don't see the City buying in at 26s here. I would anticipate a haircut.

holy smokes

that's big for the area

edit:

YES finally some retail thank you

unlike merlin residences on the other side of the block, this one is on purely industrial road and arterial road and there is no houses this can possibly impact

they should just approve it, let's kickstart some redevelopment in this area please it needs it.

Last edited:
LOL I beg your pardon what now? They want 26 stories? Here? Are they inhaling some significant substance we're not aware of?

We dont even see 26 stories along The Queensway, or on Lake Shore west of the Humber River but yet Taheri is asking for 26 stories on a random corner on Islington? Yeah sorry, this just isnt going to fly. I dont even know how they got the bright idea to propose something this dense on this site, probably some number cruncher who came up with that number without even looking at where they are proposing the build. Unless they are proposing some massive community benefit, let them go take this back home, repackage it, and come back when they're serious.

I wont even comment on the design yet, because the scale of this proposal is absurd for where it's being proposed.

In conclusion, the developer is nuts for even proposing this. Dont get me wrong, the area is ripe for redevelopment but not like this.

This currently vacant site (parking), which was previously home to a 1s produce warehouse that succumbed to fire a few years back, is now the subject of a development application.

The site is at the intersection of Islington and Birmingham in southern Etobicoke, and runs along Birmingham from Islington to Eighth Street.

Site as is:

View attachment 525308

View attachment 525309
Fun fact about the now vacant lot, the Temple adjacent it to it spent a long time trying to buy out the lot of what I believe was a chinese produce importing company, but the owner wouldn't budge. Negotiations fall apart, and not too long later... place is up in flames. Temple got the additional parking they wanted one way or another, at least that's the local rumour. I wonder if @Amare also heard this at some point.

Regardless this project signals something that most people in the area knew was coming, Lake Shore will likely be unrecognizable in 20 years and too an extent that will be a good thing.

LOL I beg your pardon what now? They want 26 stories? Here? Are they inhaling some significant substance we're not aware of?

We dont even see 26 stories along The Queensway, or on Lake Shore west of the Humber River but yet Taheri is asking for 26 stories on a random corner on Islington? Yeah sorry, this just isnt going to fly. I dont even know how they got the bright idea to propose something this dense on this site, probably some number cruncher who came up with that number without even looking at where they are proposing the build. Unless they are proposing some massive community benefit, let them go take this back home, repackage it, and come back when they're serious.

I wont even comment on the design yet, because the scale of this proposal is absurd for where it's being proposed.

In conclusion, the developer is nuts for even proposing this. Dont get me wrong, the area is ripe for redevelopment but not like this.
I mean 2256 Lake Shore is going to be 35s, 2313 Lake Shore is going to be somewhere above 20s, 2405 Lake Shore near Superior Ave is going to be 33s (or few stories shorter more likely but you get the jist) and those are all west of the humber. That's not even including the Mimico GO tower dev and all the proposals on Royal York Road. I do agree for a first punch into New Toronto this is a bizarre spot but they were likely trying to avoid the full wrath of the WASPs south of Lake Shore who have batted proposals down at 2950 Lake Shore for yearssss.

I imagine that this is geared to students from Humber which is not too far.

I mean 2256 Lake Shore is going to be 35s, 2313 Lake Shore is going to be somewhere above 20s, 2405 Lake Shore near Superior Ave is going to be 33s (or few stories shorter more likely but you get the jist) and those are all west of the humber. That's not even including the Mimico GO tower dev and all the proposals on Royal York Road. I do agree for a first punch into New Toronto this is a bizarre spot but they were likely trying to avoid the full wrath of the WASPs south of Lake Shore who have batted proposals down at 2950 Lake Shore for yearssss.
Very true those are all proposed to be taller, but all of those that you listed have some merit to the height (well all except for 2405 Lake Shore which is a story for another day).

If they think they are going to avoid any adverse reactions by proposing something like this here, Taheri is going to be in for it even worse here I can assure you that.

Fun fact about the now vacant lot, the Temple adjacent it to it spent a long time trying to buy out the lot of what I believe was a chinese produce importing company, but the owner wouldn't budge. Negotiations fall apart, and not too long later... place is up in flames. Temple got the additional parking they wanted one way or another, at least that's the local rumour. I wonder if @Amare also heard this at some point.
Hmm that's interesting, I knew the temple wanted to expand before and were looking at their adjacent parking space immediately next to it at a point in time, but I wasnt aware they were going for that lot where that chinese producer was operating from. There was a point in time where a developer was looking to get that producer site but plans fell through for whatever reason.

I imagine that this is geared to students from Humber which is not too far.
I dont even think they're going for that the way this is proposed, but of course some Humber students would rent here (assuming this is a rental concept).

Last edited:
Very true those are all proposed to be taller, but all of those that you listed have some merit to the height (well all except for 2405 Lake Shore which is a story for another day).

If they think they are going to avoid any adverse reactions by proposing something like this here, Taheri is going to be in for it even worse here I can assure you that.

Hmm that's interesting, I knew the temple wanted to expand before and were looking at their adjacent parking space immediately next to it at a point in time, but I wasnt aware they were going for that lot where that chinese producer was operating from. There was a point in time where a developer was looking to get that producer site but plans fell through for whatever reason.

I dont even think they're going for that the way this is proposed, but of course some Humber students would rent here (assuming this is a rental concept).
Ya no doubt a fuss will be made (I know a few people who I think might) but based on Morleys position on the Lake Promenade redev and the fact this falls south of Birmingham which is in line with her policy to preserve industrial lands only north of Birmingham I see this happening. Sure staff will demand some setbacks, 'breakup of the massing' and maybe four stories give or take but this will get built. The thing i'm worried about this the current abysmal state of the 110c Islington Bus and the absence of a plan for the 507 streetcar as congestion is going to continue growing.

For anyone curious as to why the TTC bus that serves this area is the third rendition of its route, the 110C, is because Islington Avenue was only extended to Lake Shore Blvd in 1978.
1702229930298.png

https://www.pci.org/PCI_Docs/Design...L-80-May-June_The_Islington_Avenue_Bridge.pdf

This map from an engineering pamphlet on the project shows the preexisting grid that was demolished for the landing of the bridge over the willowbrook rail yards, I have drawn the rough route of current Islington in red.

The laneway (in blue) that used to run through the block of homes that were demolished is still partially existent, although oddly fronts directly onto Islington. The old right of way of Seventh Street (in red) is still existent as basically a parking lot and access laneway for the remaining island of home west of the road. Seventh Street south of this ghost road was fully subsumed into Islington and the street only continues to exist south of Lake Shore Blvd.
1702230067183.png

The lot we are discussing here is highlighted in yellow at the bottom of the photo, which will thankfully have a serious setback to widen the sidewalk which is currently at a Dufferin-esque level of proximity to high speed traffic. Perhaps a Heritage Toronto plaque would be fitting in this new front plaza seeing as this relatively recent history is basically forgotten within the neighbourhood.

Attachments

• 1702229860675.png
    1702229860675.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 1702230034524.png
    1702230034524.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 1702230311071.png
    1702230311071.png
    783.2 KB · Views: 13
I was just in Long Branch and the area is booming! Tons of interesting businesses opening up on Lake Shore and the density on Queensway, Humber Shores and Etobicoke City Centre is not too far away. Plus Humber College.

I wouldn't mind some new development in the neighbourhood but 26 stories will be a battle to get approval for.
In my opinion, Lake Shore needs more development first to support all these proposed buildings in New Toronto! (The Block from Islington to 8th)

Back