Toronto 2079-2111 Yonge | 102.5m | 29s | Glen Corporation | Turner Fleischer

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
First completely new app of any size in the AIC in a little bit............

This is for the east side of Yonge, between Hillsdale and Manor Roads (roughly midway between Davisville and Eglinton)

Site as is:

1695211288670.png

Owner also has properties on Hillsdale and Manor and these are proposed as both parkland dedication and sale to the City (we'll come back to that)

But next, the App:

1695211393441.png

From the Docs:

1695211436998.png

1695211561606.png

1695211604526.png

1695211479548.png

* note that the above is from the east and that it has already been imagined as a park, this is not the view as the lands are today.

Site Plan:

1695211703539.png

Ground Floor Plan:

1695211793723.png

Elevator Ratio: 485 units - 4 elevators - 121 units per elevator or .82 elevators per 100 units

Parking Ratio: 0.27
1695212050770.png

Comments:

The height ask here is quite reasonable in my opinion. The only challenge I see is the proposed park being directly behind the tower which will block most western sunlight. Still, the park should have good southern exposure.

The massing I would like to see tweaked, its not bad, but its not great, I'd prefer to see a 3s streetwall on Yonge vs only 2, I'd also prefer to lose the small over hang where the floor plate gets larger within the podium.

The look......its a Turner Fleischer, it won't win any awards; but I can deal, as far as the tower goes, good to see brick for the podium; but the podium desperately needs a a bit of detailing, its dull as dishwater. Some type of cornice, a bit of treatment between/around the windows and we're good.

The Park; as proposed, its a goofy shape with only a single property on the Manor Road frontage, and and the property directly opposite it on Hillsdale not a part of the package. Its also on the small side at just over 1/3 of an acre. But if the City/proponent could figure out how to grab the opposite-side properties that missing on both roads, you'd have about 3/4 of an acre which would be a much more functional assembly. It still wouldn't support a sports field, but you could get any of a modest OLA, a decent playground, or tennis courts, along with some outdoor beauty/respite.

Elevator ratio is off a bit.

Parking count is a bit high for proximity to a subway interchange.

Could easily sail through if PF&R like the parks idea and with a few minor tweaks.

Edit to add:

Of note, three of the buildings here are on the heritage register.

The two at the north end:

1695213314466.png

Plus the southernmost one:

1695213385553.png

None are designated.

I can't say I'd miss any of they disappeared, so long as some effort was put into the replacements.

Last edited:
Finally a new development happening south of the "Art + Shoppe Loft"

@AlbertC Remember we talked about this site and it's finally here.

@Northern Light - I like the massing and the programming along the lane their introducing. I agree the massing is off along Yonge. The 2 storey's and then that bump out above make the proportions really odd. It kinda just looks like its a design, on top of a massing, on top of another massing. I'm not a fan of the back and forth on the façade, but I don't hate it. Hopefully some revisions here, plus some some real consideration of thicknesses for all the soffits and steps/parapets - they will not achieve those thin lines as proposed.

We really need to grow up and get over the fact every dumpy brick two story in the city is not 'heritage' lol

I agree, I'd add, I think Heritage staff would as well.

I think you'd find that some of these listings were done to have a negotiating tool w/developers over other matters.

These buildings, it needs to be said, are not designated, only listed. Provided the proponent plays ball on making a somewhat better podium/massing, and can work out a sensible deal on the parks component, I see no reason these buildings shouldn't go. If the developer doesn't play ball, we might end up w/designations that would be lose-lose for the proponent and the City; as I see no value in preserving these really.

This is one of the best transitions to a low density neighbourhood within the city of Toronto that I have seen. Stepped down and a pops/park too. Agree that this should get relatively quick approval/agreement. Don't see nimby on this this one.

This looks like a great project. I don't share the concerns some people have around lack of sunlight. I don't know about everyone else, but I choose to go out to parks and to my building's outdoor space when there isn't a lot of direct sunlight. It's not pleasant. I find the ambient light of late evening or early morning much nicer. And same idea when I'm walking around downtown. The shade provided in the middle of the day by the tall towers is great.

Don't worry they are saving their energy for when every 1 story dump on Yonge inevitably gets redeveloped and some sfh start getting bought up lol. Those MTSA's gonna have them losing their mind.

I guess the missing middle will remain missing for the foreseeable future.

Back