Hamilton 205 Cannon Street East | ?m | 25s

Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
2023 Formal Consultation on this address with the following description:
To redevelop with a 25-storey mixed use building containing approx. 277 residential units and ±450 m2 of commercial space. Includes ±176 parking spaces.

Street View of the site from May:
thumbnail.jpg

It looks like it's in an industrial or commercial area from the photo up above.
Not really an industrial area really. But this area is a bit rough. Literally across the street is another building that is a 12 storey building which got the Darko special, visible above ground parking garage and vacant first floor commercial. Would be cool to get some more commercial along this corridor with actually filled units. There's now a gay club/bar there and this could easily be a little LGBTQ enclave

Not really an industrial area really. But this area is a bit rough. Literally across the street is another building that is a 12 storey building which got the Darko special, visible above ground parking garage and vacant first floor commercial. Would be cool to get some more commercial along this corridor with actually filled units. There's now a gay club/bar there and this could easily be a little LGBTQ enclave
Yup! I checked it out and did see tall building across the street on Google Earth. One day this whole area will probably be filled up with highrises and skyscrapers below the escarpment in the Hamilton core!

It’s a bit out there, but if development starts coming this far northeast there is ample land to redevelop nearby. Is this technically within the downtown UGC?
I think as costs continue growing, we'll see cheaper, "rougher" sites getting more attention.

I think it is technically on the border just outside. Attaching the Downtown Secondary Plan Summary Plan

Attachments

• 4_DTSP_Summary_Report-compressed.pdf
    12.8 MB · Views: 24
This spot makes a lot more sense for a midrise building. It's not exactly a high density pocket and as a result doesn't have amazing transit. It does have amazing bicycle lanes, and so I hope to see ground floor bicycle parking and lots of it. I actually was pushing the city to adopt less parking or no parking along bicycle tracks like this and encouraging bicycle oriented developments.

Last I was aware this property is owned by Marino Rakovac of the Tiffany Square saga. Wouldn't bet on anything happening here anytime soon.

I drove by the site today. Given its proximity to Hamilton General, will there be height restrictions due to the hospital's helicopter landing pad?

I drove by the site today. Given its proximity to Hamilton General, will there be height restrictions due to the hospital's helicopter landing pad?
There would likely be some considerations to discuss with the city and hospital, but I don't think it would cause significant issues.

That being said, there is somewhere between a -20% and 0% chance anything gets built here any time soon.

Probably not, helicopters can land anywhere. Those ornge pilots are exceptional. St Michael's hospital in Toronto had a helipad and lots of towers around it. Higher than 25 stories.

Back