News   Aug 14, 2024
 351     0 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 635     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 821     1 

Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid (Dead)

Corporations cannot own NFL teams

Really? I did not know that. Thanks. Makes sense too, when you think about it.

Still goes back to my last point thoguh, the NFL won't allow it, as a courtesy to the CFL and potentially damaging that league.

I like the yearly trip to the States anyways, so I'm relatively good with it....

I think the CFL is to the NFL what Italian basketball is to the NBA--where you go when your career is on its way out.

i find it hard to believe the nfl cares about the cfl at all
That's demonstrably false. There have been financial and player movement agreements between the leagues in the recent past, and there was even one player trade in the 60s. The NFL is always looking for players and pretty much every NFL team now scouts the CFL. With NFL training camp rosters now at 90 players the NFL has even been signing a few CIS players every year where a decade ago they rarely did. Each league has also adopted rules from the other. The illegal contact rule in the NFL, for example, was clearly taken from the CFL.

But the biggest reason the NFL cares is that the existence of the CFL gives the NFL some protection in the event of an anti-trust action. Unlike baseball, the NFL only has a limited exemption (involving the negotiation of TV deals), so in theory a start-up league could win a suit against the NFL. In fact in the 80s the USFL did win an anti-trust suit vs the NFL but only won three whole dollars.

Any Olympic stadium needs to meet the needs of the Toronto Argonauts after the games, no one else. If it's built to 70,000 seats, it needs to be designed so it can be reduced to about 40,000 seats immediately afterwards. The athletic track would need to be dismantled, the field lowered, and the stands built down to meet the new CFL field.

The Argonauts are the oldest pro football team in north America and haven't had a proper football stadium since they played at Varsity Stadium. That's just ridiculous. Even our MLS team has its own facility.

I think the CFL is to the NFL what Italian basketball is to the NBA--where you go when your career is on its way out.
Your perception is quite far off from the reality. While there is an overlap in the skills set between US and Canadian football, there's enough difference that it's not accurate to view the CFL as a place where NFL stars go when their careers are in decline. Many NFL stars fail miserably in the CFL while some NCAA stars gravitate to the CFL because they're more suited to the Canadian game.

The CFL is a league on par with the AFL, La Liga, and many notches above the calibre one would see in the NCAA. A CFL team would obliterate any team in NCAA football.

Last edited:
The construction cost of the dome adjusted for inflation is over $900M and retrofitting it would cost somewhere in the low hundreds-of-millions. Here are some interesting facts about the dome and other modern stadiums. SkyDome, or whatever you want to call it, has fallen to the position of 7th oldest stadium in all of Major League Baseball. (1912, 1914, 1962, 1966, 1966, 1973..then us in 1989) The 6 fields that were built before ours are ALL outdoor-only stadiums, only one of which is multipurpose. In recent years, large capacity retractable field stadiums have been built for a fraction of the price of SkyDome -before even factoring inflation. The newest, Marlins Park, was built for $634M USD....compare that with the disastrous $1.5B (adjusted for inflation) Olympic Stadium in Montreal, or the wildly successful $1.5B new Yankee Stadium, and our old stadium doesn't seem all that expensive - and neither would a larger replacement. With all that said there are some major dealbreakers: 1) Location: We learned this in NYC, Cant knock down the old one til the new one is finished - the Jays need somewhere to play. There is nowhere else left in Downtown Toronto to build such a project. 2) Community dissent regarding a proposed massive, car-centric facility. 3) Biggest dealbreaker: In its relatively brief tenure in Toronto, the dome has become an iconic symbol of our city, and we can neither knock it down nor justify 2 massive multipurpose sports stadiums downtown. Sorry to rant - but I feel that an olympic-scale stadium will be what holds us back from this bid.

Toronto can't afford new transit lines and is talking about all sorts of wonderful new taxes. The Olympics are an expensive proposition.... how do you think Toronto can pay for it? I don't think they could. The city, province, and federal government are neck deep in debt. Toronto has way too much debt to ever host the Olympics. But the nice people on Ontario are used to staying quiet when their taxes are increased so I'm sure the sheeple wouldn't mind paying way more in tax to host an event that would lose money.

The construction cost of the dome adjusted for inflation is over $900M and retrofitting it would cost somewhere in the low hundreds-of-millions. Here are some interesting facts about the dome and other modern stadiums. SkyDome, or whatever you want to call it, has fallen to the position of 7th oldest stadium in all of Major League Baseball. (1912, 1914, 1962, 1966, 1966, 1973..then us in 1989) The 6 fields that were built before ours are ALL outdoor-only stadiums, only one of which is multipurpose. In recent years, large capacity retractable field stadiums have been built for a fraction of the price of SkyDome -before even factoring inflation. The newest, Marlins Park, was built for $634M USD....compare that with the disastrous $1.5B (adjusted for inflation) Olympic Stadium in Montreal, or the wildly successful $1.5B new Yankee Stadium, and our old stadium doesn't seem all that expensive - and neither would a larger replacement. With all that said there are some major dealbreakers: 1) Location: We learned this in NYC, Cant knock down the old one til the new one is finished - the Jays need somewhere to play. There is nowhere else left in Downtown Toronto to build such a project. 2) Community dissent regarding a proposed massive, car-centric facility. 3) Biggest dealbreaker: In its relatively brief tenure in Toronto, the dome has become an iconic symbol of our city, and we can neither knock it down nor justify 2 massive multipurpose sports stadiums downtown. Sorry to rant - but I feel that an olympic-scale stadium will be what holds us back from this bid.

If Rogers needs a new stadium for their Blue Jays, Rogers has more than enough money to build a new stadium for their Blue Jays. MLSE was able to build both the ACC and the soccer stadium, and I'm sure Rogers could do the same for a baseball stadium. However, from the sounds of it, they like their current location that they picked up for a song and are now improving (tearing out Windows, figuring out how to put in grass.) Why would we want ANOTHER chunk of taxpayer dollars go to a sports stadium?

If Rogers needs a new stadium for their Blue Jays, Rogers has more than enough money to build a new stadium for their Blue Jays.

Of course Rogers has the dough to build whatever they want, but the thing is the Blue Jays aren't exactly a profitable franchise, so the question is why would they?

Word is that the Argos may move into the stadium being built at York University for the 2015 Pan-Am games. Why would a 2024 Olympic stadium need to accommodate them (the Argos)? If anything the Olympic stadium will be a replacement for the Blue Jays' Rogers Centre (not likely) or part of a pitch for a new or relocated NFL franchise in Toronto.

Word is that the Argos may move into the stadium being built at York University for the 2015 Pan-Am games. Why would a 2024 Olympic stadium need to accommodate them (the Argos)? If anything the Olympic stadium will be a replacement for the Blue Jays' Rogers Centre (not likely) or part of a pitch for a new or relocated NFL franchise in Toronto.
The odds that Ottawa would contribute a dime to an Olympic Stadium that would be given to a group trying to get a Toronto NFL team are exactly zero.

As for the Argos, other than wild speculation (redoing BMO Field is another rumour) there is no word where they might go. And at this point we don't even know for sure if the Jays will force them out of the Dome.

The odds that Ottawa would contribute a dime to an Olympic Stadium that would be given to a group trying to get a Toronto NFL team are exactly zero.

As for the Argos, other than wild speculation (redoing BMO Field is another rumour) there is no word where they might go. And at this point we don't even know for sure if the Jays will force them out of the Dome.

No chance BMO ever get reconfigured for CFL football.

The Blue Jays have indicated that in order to put real grass into the Rogers Centre (which they want to do in the next 5 years) that they would have remove the Argos as tenants. So yes the Jays will force them out, and in fact Paul Beeston has stated that they have had conversations with the Argos about this.

Back