News   Jul 15, 2024
 681     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 860     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 622     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

Today's rappers, with their idiotic ebonics, make the sloppy English of old blues guys like Robert Johnson, sound Shakespearean in comparison. To call rappers poets is a riot. Poetry requires fluent literature for starters.

People were saying the same nonsense a few decades over it. Our language is dynamic. Get over it.

Well that's a very elitist view. I think people create art with whatever knowledge and experience they have available to them. Just because one persons experience happens to be the streets of Detroit or Camden NJ doesn't make their art any less powerful than art created by someone with a degree from Princeton.

That's exactly the point he is trying to make...it may have originated from the genuinely poor, uneducated, ghetto dwellers of American inner cities, but has long since just become a phoney, wanna-be affectation. Pretending to be stupider than you actually are as an expression of youth culture is just pathetic. Current social media hasn't helped either.

Isn't the closing ceremonies part of the Pan Am games?

And just so you know....bitching about off-topic posts is also off-topic (and IMO, the most annoying form of it).

For comparison, let's look at the musical talent from the opening/closing ceremonies in Vancouver, which I think most people would agree, was well done. Two observations: Canadian and not rap. Rap was under-represented for the same reason you don't serve Big Macs at your wedding.

in order of appearance:

Nikki Yanofsky
Bryan Adams
Nelly Furtado
Sarah McLachlan
Loreena McKennitt
Ashley MacIsaac
k.d. lang
Garou
Derek Miller & Eva Avila
Neil Young
Michael Bublé
Nickelback
Avril Lavigne
Alanis Morissette
Simple Plan
Hedley
Marie-Mai
k-os

K-os sings these days?

In general: Wow, what a list of has-beens or never-weres. I guess the Toronto PanAms are just better at sourcing current music rather than '80s and '90s rockers.

ETA: The only guy I remember from the VanOlys was the spoken-word poet, but he was pretty awesome IMHO. The rest is just a blur.

For comparison, let's look at the musical talent from the opening/closing ceremonies in Vancouver, which I think most people would agree, was well done. Two observations: Canadian and not rap. Rap was under-represented for the same reason you don't serve Big Macs at your wedding.

in order of appearance:

Nikki Yanofsky
Bryan Adams
Nelly Furtado
Sarah McLachlan
Loreena McKennitt
Ashley MacIsaac
k.d. lang
Garou
Derek Miller & Eva Avila
Neil Young
Michael Bublé
Nickelback
Avril Lavigne
Alanis Morissette
Simple Plan
Hedley
Marie-Mai
k-os

We get it, you don't like hip hop because you're old and salty af. If you want to listen to Nickleback and Simple Plan instead then knock yourself out but you're seriously out of touch with the rest of the americas, which is the audience for the closing ceremony.

Two observations: Canadian and not rap. Rap was under-represented for the same reason you don't serve Big Macs at your wedding.

in order of appearance:

Nikki Yanofsky
Bryan Adams
Nelly Furtado
Sarah McLachlan
Loreena McKennitt
Ashley MacIsaac
k.d. lang
Garou
Derek Miller & Eva Avila
Neil Young
Michael Bublé
Nickelback
Avril Lavigne

Alanis Morissette
Simple Plan
Hedley

Marie-Mai
k-os

These artists emboldened aren't exactly prime beef. I can say without a doubt I would take Kanye over any of those.

Secondly, hip hop is not unprecedented in international competition ceremonies. As mentioned earlier, K-OS performed in Vancouver. As did Aboriginal spoken word artist/rapper Shane Koyczan. In the 2012 London Olympics rapper Dizzee Rascal performed in the opening ceremony.

Lastly, this would not be the first time a rapper not from the host country performed at a ceremony. American rap star Jay-Z performed at the Para-Olympic closing ceremony in London in 2012.

Last edited:

in order of appearance:

Nikki Yanofsky
Bryan Adams
Nelly Furtado
Sarah McLachlan
Loreena McKennitt
Ashley MacIsaac
k.d. lang
Garou
Derek Miller & Eva Avila
Neil Young
Michael Bublé
Nickelback
Avril Lavigne
Alanis Morissette
Simple Plan
Hedley
Marie-Mai
k-os

Seriously, who gives a *#$@!

Some people, actually, millions if not billions of people actually like Kanye and like rap. Just because you dont (we get it, no need to keep telling us!), doesn't mean others dont. Your personal opinion does not dictate what organizers should/shouldn't do.

Well, my take it - don't like it? Don't watch. No one is force-feeding the show on anyone - and the Don Cherry types who has been whining about it for ages can go back and hack about something else. Like he actually gave two damns about Pam Am in the first place. Really, these self-appointed guardians of "Canadian culture" (i.e. what they are into) are highly problematical.

AoD

Lastly, this would not be the first time a rapper not from the host country performed at a ceremony. American rap star Jay-Z performed at the Para-Olympic closing ceremony in London in 2012.

Like when Drake performed at the closing ceremonies of the last Pan Am games?

Back