News   Jul 17, 2024
 501     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 620     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

Yes, I'm not a NASCAR fan and certainly don't want a racetrack anyway near the downtown :) I was using it as an example of a 'sporting' project/event that would garner more lasting attention in terms of tourism or tv viewership, particularly from our neighbours to the south. Actually I think viewership in the US might be relatively low for the Pan Ams even if it were held in say Portland or Indianapolis- total hunch on my part though but I realy don't see Americans getting too workied up over these games. I mean are the global masses really excited about the games this year in Guadalajara..? Can Guatamala beat out the Dominican in javellin- should be pretty intense.

The Pan-Ams got us speedy development of a whole new neighbourhood in the West Don Lands. Athletic events like these represent the only surefire way to get provincial and federal investment in municipal infrastructure and greenspaces. It's not an ideal circumstance, but it is what it is.

Think of how insane and frothing the Fords and their Sun lapdogs would be about Waterfront Toronto if WDL had not been accelerated by the Pan Ams. (Although, I'm not completely sure any of them realize these projects are all done by the same WT.)

Yes, I'm not a NASCAR fan and certainly don't want a racetrack anyway near the downtown :) I was using it as an example of a 'sporting' project/event that would garner more lasting attention in terms of tourism or tv viewership, particularly from our neighbours to the south. Actually I think viewership in the US might be relatively low for the Pan Ams even if it were held in say Portland or Indianapolis- total hunch on my part though but I realy don't see Americans getting too workied up over these games. I mean are the global masses really excited about the games this year in Guadalajara..? Can Guatamala beat out the Dominican in javellin- should be pretty intense.

I think the Pan Am games were held, quite successfully, in Indianapolis in the 80's

So were the Winnipeg Pan Am games- relatively speaking. Who is providing the coverage for the games in Guadalajara this year, I haven't heard much about them and they start next month?

toronto2015weight.JPG

Here is how Roy Thompson hall will look like during the Games.

Attachments

• toronto2015weight.JPG
    toronto2015weight.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 408
Quite possibly, and the fact that it's the Pan Am games. They are big in latin american countries- that is very true.

And with Canada courting Latin American countries for trade and other cooperation deals, coverage south of the US will potentially be more important than in the US.

That RTH conception looks fantastic.

I find it really hard to get excited by the Pan Am games- whether in Winnipeg, Montevideo or Toronto. You've got the US and Canada and then a bunch of developing countries.. even the Commonwealth games are more interesting. They are hardly a global event, and a year later not many people will remember where the heck they were. If we want to attract more Americans to TO then lets build a NASCAR track.

This is one of the most ignorant comments I've read on this site.. And that's saying quite a bit.

Do you even know what a developing country is?

Apologies, perhaps not very pc to use 'developing nations'- it was a flippant posting ...perhaps it was a friday. I was really just disputing the 'global' appeal or scope of these games which has been suggested. I do see their benefits and I hope they do well. For the record I do NOT seriously want a NASCAR track on the waterfront either.

Back