News   May 13, 2024
 569     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 900     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.5K     3 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

The December 2009 application to the CFL to play football on a reduced sized pitch at BMO Field, even after the installation of a grass pitch was started; which would either destroy the pitch, or require turf to replace the grass. There were incidents in 2007 and 2008 as well; it's pretty much an annual event related to their Skydome lease renewal.

So let me get this straight, Hamilton is now soccer and YorkU is trying to get athletics?
It was all the same facility originally wasn't it? Presumably it would all be at York; soccer was being played in several stadiums, and I thought the big games were going to BMO Field.

It was all the same facility originally wasn't it? Presumably it would all be at York; soccer was being played in several stadiums, and I thought the big games were going to BMO Field.

I have no idea, I thought something 'had' to be in Hamilton to get fed/prov money?

Soccer and track were initially supposed to be in the same stadium in Hamilton. Last month the Pan Am people pulled track out of Hamilton, but Hamilton will still get a soccer stadium which will also house the Tiger-Cats (assuming the team and city stop fighting and agree on a site).

The December 2009 application to the CFL to play football on a reduced sized pitch at BMO Field, even after the installation of a grass pitch was started; which would either destroy the pitch, or require turf to replace the grass. There were incidents in 2007 and 2008 as well; it's pretty much an annual event related to their Skydome lease renewal.
So? What exactly did the Argos and the CFL do that was wrong? How was that meddling? Which "meddling" statutes were violated? And what is wrong with meddling anyway? This forum is filled with yentas who meddle.

Why are you trying to give meddling a bad name?

Soccer and track were initially supposed to be in the same stadium in Hamilton. Last month the Pan Am people pulled track out of Hamilton, but Hamilton will still get a soccer stadium which will also house the Tiger-Cats (assuming the team and city stop fighting and agree on a site).
A whole new stadium just for soccer - when we already have stadiums for soccer? Seems like a waste of money.

??? I simply was pondering out loud how long before the Argos stuck their nose into the York stadium ... I don't see why the all obsessive questions.

There was a strong suggestion that the Argos would build and occupy a stadium @ YorkU in 2005 when I first arrived. Not sure of the history or politics of the decision not to then.... Judging the ever decreasing amounts of money available for undergraduate teaching, I am sure that YorkU could use a tenant to help off-set the costs.

-AmJ

There was a strong suggestion that the Argos would build and occupy a stadium @ YorkU in 2005 when I first arrived. Not sure of the history or politics of the decision not to then.... Judging the ever decreasing amounts of money available for undergraduate teaching, I am sure that YorkU could use a tenant to help off-set the costs.

-AmJ

Went sorta like this.......Canadian Soccer Association needed a stadium built in Toronto as part of their bid (successful) for the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup.

With no professional soccer team to partner with they worked with the Argos.....Original site was Exhibition grounds....held a press conference saying this was the perfect place for a stadium....finances did not work out, needed another partner.....did a deal with the UofT......held a press conference saying this was the perfect site for a stadium....finances looked better as the UofT would contribute money and tax the student body......honchos at UofT pulled out......Argos and CSA do a deal with York.....hold a press conference and say this is the perfect place for a stadium (this is the part you probably remember)......no one is really sure why but this time the Argos pull out and decide (instead) to accept a "better deal" at their current stadium SkyDome........CSA is left scrambling against a perceived deadline to get a stadium built in Toronto (I say perceived because the tournament was not awarded to Toronto but, rather, Canada and it could have been held without any matches in Toronto) sometime during that process MLSE has become interested in MLS...they partner with the CSA and the other levels of government......a press conference is held and it is announced that the CNE is the perfect site for the stadium.

Not sure York gets a tenant out of this.......all the Pan Am games folks will build is a track stadium that holds 15k (they have said that is all they need) and any expansion of that for after games use would require a private sector investor (like the Argos) to invest money to upgrade it to CFL standards......not sure current Argo ownership views themselves as long term holders of the club and they might be reluctant to invest....if so, the York Stadium may just be a temporary type situation (like the 27k temporary Empire Stadium in Vancouver which cost +/- 15million and will be torn down and returned to Scandanavia once BC Place's renos are done...perhaps they will pass through Toronto first!).

A whole new stadium just for soccer - when we already have stadiums for soccer? Seems like a waste of money.

I simply was pondering out loud how long before the Argos stuck their nose into the York stadium ... I don't see why the all obsessive questions.

Well it'd be a stadium for the Ti-Cats that would initially and temporarily be used for Pan Am soccer. I guess technically there's nothing to say that it wouldn't be used for both soccer and the Ti-cats after the games, but it's not like Hamilton will ever get a professional soccer team.

As for the Argos at York, I think it's worth asking the question. To be honest, I think if the Argos have the money to put into it, then I'd be all for it. The Pan Ams would then have a pretty strong legacy in professional sport, which I think would go a long way in determining the success of the event in hindsight.

Last edited:
Well it'd be a stadium for the Ti-Cats that would initially and temporarily be used for Pan Am soccer. I guess technically there's nothing to say that it wouldn't be used for both soccer and the Ti-cats after the games, but it's not like Hamilton will ever get a professional soccer team.
Actually the plan is for Hamilton to get a team in the A-League (or whatever the league below MLS is now called).

The Ti-Cats did an Argos and aren't involved any more.
Most people think that's just posturing, and if the Pan Am committee sticks to its requirement of the Hamilton stadium having a legacy tenant, then it's either the Ticats being involved or no Hamilton stadium at all.

Most people think that's just posturing, and if the Pan Am committee sticks to its requirement of the Hamilton stadium having a legacy tenant, then it's either the Ticats being involved or no Hamilton stadium at all.
I'd assume they are preparing for the latter. They need a track and field facility for the games, and they have fulfilled this by moving that to York. There isn't a desperate need for yet another soccer facility, as they already have a few places they can play, and are already planning on using BMO Field, Varsity Stadium, and Ron Joyce Stadium. In a pinch, they could easily move the 4th location to Centennial or Lamport.

I'd assume they are preparing for the latter. They need a track and field facility for the games, and they have fulfilled this by moving that to York. There isn't a desperate need for yet another soccer facility, as they already have a few places they can play, and are already planning on using BMO Field, Varsity Stadium, and Ron Joyce Stadium. In a pinch, they could easily move the 4th location to Centennial or Lamport.

Or Oshawa!! ;)

Back