News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

They only spent $141million in 1999.

From what I can gather (mostly from wikipedia, which if you were curious about the lasting benefits of Winnipeg's Pan-Ams, you could have done yourself), they upgraded Winnipeg Stadium (which allowed them to host the Grey Cup for the first time two years later and again in 96), they built the U of M athletic centre which is the home to the national training centre for volleyball and basketball.
The first Grey Cup in Winnipeg was held in 1991, the second in 1998, and the third and most recent one was in 2006. It wasn't the 1999 Pan Am upgrades that "allowed" Winnipeg to host any of them, but rather the construction of temporary seating for all three Cups.

We're in another echelon and should have some greater expectations I think.
First and foremost we're a Canadian city just like them, but more on this later....

Here is what Wiki says about the '99 games:
The 13th Pan American Games were held in Winnipeg, Canada, from 23 July to 8 August 1999 for the second time, after the 1967 edition of the multi-sports event.

The budget for the event for $141 million, which was provided by the federal, provincial, and municipal governments of Canada. [1]

The Games recorded a $6M profit [2] that funded legacy type projects.[citation needed]

Hosts Canada celebrated its medal haul, which was the second best after the United States. However, some considered Canada's results overrated, since the US amassed the most medals with a mostly second-string team while Canada and Cuba had fielded their top national athletes. Cuba also managed more golds than Canada, despite having a smaller roster.

Frequent comparisons[citation needed] were made to the 1967 games, where the United States had fielded many rising stars, such as Mark Spitz. By comparison, the Americans had sent their "B" team in 1999. No major US networks covered the Games, while newspapers only sent second-string reporters instead and the stories never made front page news. Many high profile athletes, of all nationalities, such as US champion sprinters were in Europe during these Pan Am games, taking part in professional events. South American nations (with the exception of Uruguay) did not send their under-23 male soccer teams after the organizing committee refused to pay appearance money to CONMEBOL.[citation needed]

The competition was also marred by a total of 7 positive drug tests.
Pretty awe-inspiring stuff. Counting the days here until these b-list games begin with d-list athletes!

So one major goal is to make more than Winnipeg's $6 million, and the gauntlet has been thrown that it should be much more seeing as how Toronto is somehow blessed to be in a special "echelon". Can't wait for the final tally.

The puerile and/or philistinish tone of the following two posts (or segments thereof) proves why we shouldn't be letting messageboarding amateurs guide urbanism...

The only "blight" I see are NIMBYs in this thread and in Toronto. Small blemishes always appear and dissapear as time progresses and infrastructure improves. And yes, let's do some action! Attack these DIMBY's! (Dumb@55es IN MY BACKYARD!)

That's hilarious.

I was in Montreal a couple years ago for the first time. When I saw that Habitat, I thought it was a housing project. It was so ugly. It looks like the designer must have been smoking meth or something.

My Montreal friend informed me it was a prestige building and home to the elite. I had to laugh.

Apparently some hippy architect actually got paid for making this eye sore. It's so ugly it should be moved brick by brick to Toronto. It would fit in here better. It would look at home by the Robart's Turkey Library.

Montreal is a beautiful town. " How did they let this beast go up? " I asked my friend.

He reminded me, it was made in the 1960's and in those days " you could get away with murder. "

The puerile and/or philistinish tone of the following two posts (or segments thereof) proves why we shouldn't be letting messageboarding amateurs guide urbanism...

I guess you are right going too radical bashing NIMBYS, but don't think that I am ignorant in urbanism. Your know-it-all post here won't convince me a bit despite of your erudical pro-T-DOT "insights". Toronto, despite of being the most prominent and well-developed status, won't able to hide so much of the problems in the past and will take years ironing it out.

Accept some of today's issues. Every city has plenty of issues, even Sauga. I may not know Toronto well much as you, but it is something I say based on my experience in T.O. and some of the actual issues happening here.

P.S. Why are Torontonians so uber-defensive?

The first Grey Cup in Winnipeg was held in 1991, the second in 1998, and the third and most recent one was in 2006. It wasn't the 1999 Pan Am upgrades that "allowed" Winnipeg to host any of them, but rather the construction of temporary seating for all three Cups.
my apologies for the typo. Must have been thinking of 2006 and then typed 96.

Yes they had to add seating in 91, but do you really think adding seating was what got them the Grey Cup? if that was the case, why hadn't they hosted one before? That stadium had been in place for nearly half a century at that point. The renovations from the Pan Ams created much better conditions and it made it much more attractive to host the event.

Here is what Wiki says about the '99 games:
Pretty awe-inspiring stuff. Counting the days here until these b-list games begin with d-list athletes!
The wiki article seems like something written by someone with some bias. I don't disagree that the Americans don't always send their best, but then again Toronto is a much more attractive place. A better comparison would be to compare the games in Rio and see who competed there. Even then, proximity to the US could be a big factor. I don't know the who's who of every event, but I think it's probably safe to say that some events will get better athletes than others. Also, depending on scheduling and whatnot, it might be possible to attract some key athletes to the event. Let's say Bolt is still running and is enticed to come here. Would his competitors follow? Perhaps.

So one major goal is to make more than Winnipeg's $6 million, and the gauntlet has been thrown that it should be much more seeing as how Toronto is somehow blessed to be in a special "echelon". Can't wait for the final tally.
Who said that was a goal? if you've noticed I don't think I've mentioned anywhere Winnipeg's $6million profit. Mostly because (and we've had this argument before) I don't buy it. What I mean by a higher echelon is that we're an internationally renown city. Winnipeg is not. Would you expect similar quality facilities in London compared to Portsmouth? How about Paris to Bordeaux?

Last edited:
Look, the Pan Am games will be exactly what we make of them.

If we want to turn them into a B-list event -- despite their A-list standing throughout Latin America and the Caribbean -- then we will certainly be successful.

If we want to give it our all, tie in LatAm themes from all other major Toronto events that year (Luminato, TIFF, cultural events; Caribana is already on-point by definition), help put our city on the Americas' map as a place to visit and to do business, and generally show what we can do -- then we can be successful at that, too.

It's really up to us. Those who want to denigrate the Pan Am Games, go ahead. I'd rather work to make them a success and fit them into a larger story about Toronto that we tell all over Latin America. Not sure what volunteer opportunities will be available, but I plan to help out in some way so I can be a part of this.

TOareaFan, well I guess you called me on my "abandoned and derelict" stadium comment. Perhaps too dramatic, what I should have said is "underutilized and in bad shape". Although that is anecdotal experience from actually standing in front of stadiums in Montreal, Barcelona etc. Although really this counterpoint I am making is not really of importance to this thread other than the larger issue that the architectural component of the legacy of a games is fleeting and disposable. It's importance is more about how it brands the preception of a city at a particular point in history as "the place to be", or stylish, or commited to design.

Why the Hatred!?

I don't understand for the life of me why there are SO many people against something that IS GOING TO HAPPEN REGARDLESS OF HOW MUCH YOU BITCH!

Everyone in Hamilton is ESTATIC about these games. Not only b/c we've tried twice for the Commonwealth Games (and lost) in the last 7 years, but because of all the AMAZING CHANGES that this event will bring!

This is URBANtoronto...
Can't you support Public Transit (LRTs all around), Affordable Housing (in a region devestated by Job Loss), JOB CREATION (a good 5 years of construction jobs, not to mention the spin-offs afterwards, ESPECIALLY in Hamilton), Athletic Advancement (can't Canadians want a couple more medals in Summer Games?), etc etc

For all the NIMBYs, Nay-Sayers, and general Trolls, JUST SIT BACK AND RELAX!
Then watch our Cities (and region) be showcased to the World as a modern, advanced, enviro-friendly World-Class City that is ready!

ENJOY IT, TORONTO! It's Already Happening!!!

I don't understand for the life of me why there are SO many people against something that IS GOING TO HAPPEN REGARDLESS OF HOW MUCH YOU BITCH!

Everyone in Hamilton is ESTATIC about these games. Not only b/c we've tried twice for the Commonwealth Games (and lost) in the last 7 years, but because of all the AMAZING CHANGES that this event will bring!

This is URBANtoronto...
Can't you support Public Transit (LRTs all around), Affordable Housing (in a region devestated by Job Loss), JOB CREATION (a good 5 years of construction jobs, not to mention the spin-offs afterwards, ESPECIALLY in Hamilton), Athletic Advancement (can't Canadians want a couple more medals in Summer Games?), etc etc

For all the NIMBYs, Nay-Sayers, and general Trolls, JUST SIT BACK AND RELAX!
Then watch our Cities (and region) be showcased to the World as a modern, advanced, enviro-friendly World-Class City that is ready!

ENJOY IT, TORONTO! It's Already Happening!!!

I agree with you. The NIMBYist mediocre negativity in a lot of people in this city is quite disturbing.

I agree with you. The NIMBYist mediocre negativity in a lot of people in this city is quite disturbing.

Well lets just hope they don't get so angry that they drunkenly ram PanAm Committee Members off into the Humber in a drunken road rage fiasco!

DC83, I agree with everything except for the LRTs. The LRTs will be great for Hamilton (and I think those two are some of the only transit projects in the region that'll be pushed forward because of the games,) but not for Toronto.

Otherwise, I have to agree that I'm totally dumfounded by all the negative response to this. Other than all the new jobs and quick government funding that we'll get, this is a great opportunity to get the GGH on the map. If followed by a comprehensive regional growth plan and a lot of progressive planning by the country in general, it'll put the GGH as a major player on the world stage for sure.

No way. The Yonge extension (unwanted by the TTC) is now in further jeopardy as the argument will be that funds should be allocated to projects more related to the games.
No funds have been allocated to the Yonge extension, beyond the EA and the signalling upgrade.

TOareaFan, well I guess you called me on my "abandoned and derelict" stadium comment. Perhaps too dramatic, what I should have said is "underutilized and in bad shape". Although that is anecdotal experience from actually standing in front of stadiums in Montreal, Barcelona etc. Although really this counterpoint I am making is not really of importance to this thread other than the larger issue that the architectural component of the legacy of a games is fleeting and disposable. It's importance is more about how it brands the preception of a city at a particular point in history as "the place to be", or stylish, or commited to design.

Well, you hit a bit of a nerve with me as the "abandoned right after the games" stadium argument is one that gets thrown around by a lot of people and recycled by lots of people that have never been too, nor looked into, the reality of the situations in the various cities.

Your experiences in Montreal (1976 games) and Barcelona (1992) actually do more to disprove the argument than advance it (IMO). The Barcelona stadium was actually built early in the 20th century (the 1920's I think) and renovated a few times....so not the fleeting monument to sport that irks so many people. Sure, it may appear underused to the North American eye because we tend to think of stadia as things that need to be used constantly to be of value. The rest of the world not so much......as an example, I was born in Glasgow....a city that has +/- 1 million people in its entire CMA.......they think nothing of having 3 stadiums over over 50k capacity...two of which are used every other weekend by the clubs that own them and one that is used far more infrequently (it is the national football stadium). From the end of the '92 Olympics until this year, the Barcelona stadium was used by Espanyol....a Spanish soccer team and, by far, the smaller of the major Catalan teams (FCB Barcelona being the larger).

Montreal's stadium, as we know, is a particularly unique situation in that it is in a city that lost one of the major tenants that the post-game stadium was targeted for (the Expos). The other (CFL Allouettes) plays in a league that garners much smaller crowds than at the time the stadium was built so they have, for the most part, moved on......had the sporting landscape not changed so dramatically......the stadium would have been in full use for almost 100 nights per year (and was for several years)....as for its decrepit nature....bad design/architecture and corrupt building trades on one stadium should not taint all stadiums for all time.

All that being said, I would have thought the anti-mega stadium sentiment (which I understand....don't agree with but understand) would have been an argument FOR the Pan Am Games....there is a nice balance for any Canadian city in that we get a stadium that might be right for our non-games sporting scene. Other than Toronto for baseball, we don't really have a need for huge outdoor stadiums.....so we definitely would have issues with stadium use if we won the Olympics (although the potential for an NFL team...if those owners would share the cost of construction....might be an opportunity)....so minor (I prefer to think of them as less major) multi-sport games (like PanAms, Commonwealth Games, Francaphone Games) present an opportunity for us to enhance our sporting infrastructure on a scale that we have an opportunity to use later.

If life was a University, I Major in sports and Minor in the arts....but more people are, for example, into mass sports than serious arts.....yet very few (and certainly not me) ever complain about the money invested in infrastructure for the arts. I think (have nothing to back this up...just my life experiences) over a period of time, more people/Torontonians will (for example) walk through the turnstiles at BMO Field than will ever watch a performance at, say, the Four Seasons...yet the investment of public funds in BMO was, both, smaller and more controversial.

I guess what I am saying is that we readily accept (as we should) that public funds for public arts infrastructure is a valid investment yet we struggle with the same (or less) public investment in sporting infrastructure and I am not totally sure why. (although I would guess that at least part of it is the image/perception that we are building parks for millionaire "ball players" to make more millions....and I am not sure any of that is applicable to the proposed venues for the Pan Am games).

There are abandoned sports stadiums there in T.O. right? Like one down King St. in Liberty Village; others like Varsity Stadium or BMO Field could use some upgrade...

Back