News   Jul 15, 2024
 766     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 917     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 639     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

BurlOak - in the stadium. Most of the crowd left before they brought out the medals.

I was one of those that left - my ride left and I had no choice but to follow (ride from GO station that is). It was strange that there was no announcement (even after the womens game) to please stay for the medal presentation immediately after the men's game.

I have to roll my eyes at the discussion over at SSP. They argue that having Kanye perform is some sort of insecurity on Toronto's part in an attempt to appeal to Americans, while ignoring the irony of their own statement and it's insecurity over whether the performer is Canadian or not. I'm glad some people are mature enough to just enjoy a good show, which he will probably deliver. Would have posted this over there but I can't be arsed to find my password.

Interesting factoids about the sign - from the Star:

SEVEN THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE TORONTO SIGN
1. The font is Azo Sans Bold. It was chosen for its perfectly circular Os, “making it fun for people to stand in,” city spokesperson Wynna Brown explained in an email. The flat bases of the other letters bolster the sign’s structural integrity, she added.

2. The LED lights, 400 metres in all, can create 228 million colours (all controlled by Wi-Fi).

3. The letters weigh about 136 kg (300 pounds) each, with another 1,180 kg (2600 pounds) in the base. Their size will restrict the search for future destinations. “You can’t plunk something that is that large down just anywhere,” said Tobias Novogrodsky, the city’s director of planning implementation for the Games.

4. The company that built the sign isn’t new to making majorly Canadian projects. Unit 11 Custom Staging Ltd. has done work for Hudson’s Bay at the Vancouver Olympics, CBC’s new Hockey Night in Canada set, and Justin Bieber’s 2011 Home for the Holidays Christmas special.

5. The total cost came in just under $100,000, including $7,500 for design, $57,410 for materials and construction, and $29,724 for installation, maintenance and relocation. The money came from the $20 million city council approved for its Host City Showcase Program.

6. The sign has two hashtags, #share3DTO and #HostCity2015, that the city is using to filter images of the sign into a showcase website.

7. The city posted “prime photo op” decals throughout the square to encourage people to take photographs.

“It was deliberate, to have a strong, colourful, powerful statement about Toronto and our love for our city out on the square through a big sign like this, and to encourage folks to come and take their picture with the sign and tell their friends and the world that they’re here in our iconic civic place, Nathan Phillips Square, celebrating the Games and their city,” Novogrodsky said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/pan...to-ask-where-toronto-sign-should-go-next.html

I have to roll my eyes at the discussion over at SSP. They argue that having Kanye perform is some sort of insecurity on Toronto's part in an attempt to appeal to Americans, while ignoring the irony of their own statement and it's insecurity over whether the performer is Canadian or not. I'm glad some people are mature enough to just enjoy a good show, which he will probably deliver. Would have posted this over there but I can't be arsed to find my password.

While I don't feel this is an issue of insecurity I do feel it was a massive blunder/faux pas to chose an American performer. This is Toronto's stage and we have plenty of home-grown talent to put on a hugely successful show. What on earth were they thinking??

The issue of the venues spread (already reduced from the original plan) will surely factor into any potential Olympic bid.

While I don't feel this is an issue of insecurity I do feel it was a massive blunder/faux pas to chose an American performer. This is Toronto's stage and we have plenty of home-grown talent to put on a hugely successful show. What on earth were they thinking??

It's not that big a deal -
Björk and Tiësto were in the 2004 Olympics Opening and nobody lost any sleep over it. So is Plastikman/Richie Hawtin in Torino 2006. Sarah Brightman was in Barcelona 1992 and Celine was in 1996 Atlanta.

AoD

Last edited:

It's a sporting event that encapsulates all of the Americas - Guadalajara, Mexico had Drake, Three Days Grace, Nickelback and Ricky Martin at their closing ceremonies in 2011.

Drugs are bad, mmkay?

Love the fact that he took the most commonly tested and widely used steroid that he didn't think they wouldn't find. But what I find funny is that any international sporting events test for drug use after they award the metal. They can still test positive for steroids, even if they didn't take the stuff on the day of the event.

Back