News   Jul 16, 2024
 334     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 441     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

Officials gave an update at a press conference earlier. I haven't found any written reporting yet but they did mention it on the CBC. They said: "ticket sales doubled". They're at almost 900,000 tickets sold which is the most tickets ever sold in PanAm history.

After I posted pics from the Opening Ceremony, all my friends have been asking me where to buy tickets. Reporters on the streets are hearing the same thing: people suddenly woke up and are rushing to buy tickets now that the Games are on.

That's good news!

With a Mayor in favour of the Olympics, Canada racking up Gold Medals and what looks to be a successful hosting of the biggest ever multi sport event in Canadian history, the stars are lined up for Toronto to bid for the Olympics. On to TO2024.

I think it's going to take a lot more than the Mayor to convince the IOC to host the Olympics in Toronto. For starters, we definitely need the Federal Government aboard, they only contributed for a small amount for the Pan Am's, and they'll need to be a bigger player for the Olympic bid to convince the IOC we can afford this. Another is, we definitely need the DRL and improved transit infrastructure, we're just getting by as is, and sure, Pan Am has the most events, but the Olympics has a larger crowd that will come.

The Feds have always been behind an Olympic bid and the Canadian Olympic Committee is fully behind putting Toronto forward as the candidate. Where we lacked support was at the municipal level with cheapskate Rob Ford's manufactured financial crisis. With Miller as Mayor, we were on route to bidding for the 2020 Games with support at all levels. With Tory enthusiastically backing a Toronto Olympics, it's all but certain that we'll bid for the 2024 Games.

On the matter of winning the bid, I've been following bids for a couple of decades and it's an open "secret" that Toronto has been the IOC's favourite since our stellar 2008 bid. We've been lauded for our groundbreaking technical bids which is now being followed as a template by other cities. If the PanAm Games prove successful, we're very well positioned to being granted the 2024 Olympic Summer Games.

Officials gave an update at a press conference earlier. I haven't found any written reporting yet but they did mention it on the CBC. They said: "ticket sales doubled". They're at almost 900,000 tickets sold which is the most tickets ever sold in PanAm history.

After I posted pics from the Opening Ceremony, all my friends have been asking me where to buy tickets. Reporters on the streets are hearing the same thing: people suddenly woke up and are rushing to buy tickets now that the Games are on.

Do you have a link to a tweet or something vaguely official?

I'd love to share it with those Pan Am cynics who won't shut up about how nobody cares about the games. The look on their face will be priceless.

The Feds have always been behind an Olympic bid and the Canadian Olympic Committee is fully behind putting Toronto forward as the candidate. Where we lacked support was at the municipal level with cheapskate Rob Ford's manufactured financial crisis. With Miller as Mayor, we were on route to bidding for the 2020 Games with support at all levels. With Tory enthusiastically backing a Toronto Olympics, it's all but certain that we'll bid for the 2024 Games.

On the matter of winning the bid, I've been following bids for a couple of decades and it's an open "secret" that Toronto has been the IOC's favourite since our stellar 2008 bid. We've been lauded for our groundbreaking technical bids which is now being followed as a template by other cities. If the PanAm Games prove successful, we're very well positioned to being granted the 2024 Olympic Summer Games.

What was so groundbreaking about our technical bids? I don't know too much about our previous bids.

As long as Harper is in power I doubt they'll get on-board, they'll probably write it off as no money to spend with the economy in a recession. Make no mistake, the relationship between Harper and the province has been bitter over the past couple of years since the Pan Am bid, they'll stick it to Queen's Park.

In other words, you're hearing a lot of chatter about the 2024 bid :)

Oh no - not the Chicago Tribune :rolleyes:

And the NY Times did do quite a piece on the games that generated quite a bit of discussion or did you miss that?

You mean the one that suggested Torontonians don't care about the games? That's the only one I found until I used the search engine and discovered a Reuters story buried in there. My point is that there is very little coverage of the games outside of Toronto. Since the obscene Sochi Olympic Games I have become strongly opposed to such events.

Well, the deadline for the 2024 Olympic game bid is September 15th 2015 for the city to inform the IOC it want to compete, along with all documentation. Anyone think we can make this deadline? Or should we try for the 2028 bid when it opens up in 2019?

Federal election campaigns start up in September. Are Harper, Mulclair or Trudeau even entertaining the idea of funding the 2024 Games?

Federal election campaigns start up in September. Are Harper, Mulclair or Trudeau even entertaining the idea of funding the 2024 Games?

No, but if the city does thinks the Pan Am Games are qualifiers enough for a bid, then they better start working on it as of yesterday. The 2028 bid only adds on more costs to renovate the then thirteen year old Pan Am venues they're planning on reusing for the Olympics.

No, but if the city does thinks the Pan Am Games are qualifiers enough for a bid, then they better start working on it as of yesterday. The 2028 bid only adds on more costs to renovate the then thirteen year old Pan Am venues they're planning on reusing for the Olympics.

How long would it take to analyze the qualitative and quantitative date to determine if the Pan Am Games were a success or failure?

How long would it take to analyze the qualitative and quantitative date to determine if the Pan Am Games were a success or failure?

I dunno? I think it depends on what the IOC considers a failure and a winner for these games. If I had to take an educated guess; I think they'll see how having venues spread across the region worked out for the Pan Am's, and if there where any problems, a plan would be put together how these problems will be solved for the Olympics. I think that is one thing they'll be looking at if we submit on time.

Back