News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 412     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Toronto 2008 Olympics: A city that might have been

As already discussed, we lost because of politics. The IOC wanted to give the games to Beijing after they barely lost the 2000 Olympics to Sydney. We had the better technical bid hands down. Our loss had nothing to do with subways to York, infrastructure, roads or anything other than the desire to give the Olympics to the emerging powerhouse with the world's largest population.

^... Isn't it just 15 seconds of fame that ends up costing the city millions of dollars? I haven't heard too many success stories about long term financial gain or benefits... The city is stretched enough with all the downloads and I'd hate to see more hikes in my property tax :)

It's a hell of a lot more than 15 seconds. It's more than 15 years. The only thing "better" for a city is a major disaster.

The incremental economic benefits are worth billions, it is worth noting.

Dichotomy, you don't impress me or anyone else by trotting out Montreal as a counterexample. It only reveals your lack of understanding of how the Olympics work these days, as compared to when they were on the brink of collapse in the 70s.

Back