Toronto 2 Queen West | 34.44m | 7s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

I would favor reconstructing the facade of the main Eaton's store on Yonge; it would definitely be better than what's there right now.

Stopped by Zeidler's offices today, they had a massing model on display:

FIrA2mo.jpg

mQqbmDo.jpg

8pnzNPg.jpg

Thanks for sharing! That cut out on the north side near the base is a nice touch. I hope that stays. This feels nicely proportioned.

Very interesting, especially the slant on the northern edge.

This is a tower made for structural expressionism.

Very nice. I was there too. Did you peek inside the office right beside the model? It had a wall covered in many iterations of the design. It looked to me like the base was originally supposed to twist similar to the turning torso before straightening up along the shaft of the tower. My guess is that Cadillac Fairview wanted something a little less pricey.

The city has a few problems with the small setbacks and lack of parking:

Issues to be Resolved
The preliminary issues identified below with the proposal and in particular the proposed
lack of parking, reduced amenity space and increased density are significant. Of note is
the floor plate of the proposal which exceeds the size of the site and depends on a
cantilever over the adjacent Eaton Centre to the north and west. City Planning Staff do
not support the application in its current form. Additional issues may be identified
through the review of the application, agency comments and the community consultation
process.
3. concern that the project currently constitutes overdevelopment of the site, as the
density is quite high (67.9 F.S.I) and servicing is problematic;
4. conformity with the Tall Building Design Guidelines and Downtown Tall
Buildings: Vision and Supplementary Design Guidelines, particularly in regards
to the proposed setback from Yonge Street which is deficient from the 20 metres
recommended in the Guidelines;
5. adequacy of the proposed development's indoor and outdoor amenity space;
8. the provision of spaces for a car-sharing facility, traffic and neighbourhood
parking impacts, especially in light of the proposed zero parking;
9. the provision of continuous weather protection along the podium

City Planning Staff do
City Planning staff do not support the application in its current form.

also....1 - 7 Yonge St re-development (Pinnacle, 40 + 70 + 75 + 2x80 + 88s, Hariri Pontarini)
City Planning staff do not support the application in its proposed form.

Makes you think, has Toronto City Planning ever supported anything over 60 stories in its current/proposed form?:confused:

also....1 - 7 Yonge St re-development (Pinnacle, 40 + 70 + 75 + 2x80 + 88s, Hariri Pontarini)
City Planning staff do not support the application in its proposed form.

Makes you think, has Toronto City Planning ever supported anything over 60 stories in its current/proposed form?:confused:

The flip side is that if you're a developer, should you ever propose something that fits into the existing plan if you're inevitably bound to be approved for something larger? This is just step 1 of the same old dance. I wouldn't be too concerned.

If it's all CF couldn't they just sell some of the Eaton Centre parking garage back to themselves and apply to the city to count that instead?

Back