Toronto 2 Cawthra Square | 145.4m | 45s | BV Realty Partners | Arcadis

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New to the AIC is this application to redevelop some SFH immediately east of Barbara Hall Park into a 45s tower.

I will note with some amusement, that right here on UT, in the Problematic Park Design thread, I recommended the City consider acquiring some of these to expand the park.

Site as is:

1683876619344.png

1683876671670.png

Aerial Pic:

1683876808940.png

The App:

1683876859348.png

From the Docs:

1683876580106.png

1683876989098.png

1683877025656.png

Site Plan:

1683877565738.png

Ground Floor Plan:

1683877634763.png

1683877242192.png

1683877278075.png

Multiple Tree removals are proposed, but I find these two noteworthy, (picture below) as they are in 'good' condition and are very large and currently in the front yards of the homes here:

1683878369346.png

The stated reason for removal of both is conflict with City guidelines for a 2.1M sidewalk, and root encroachment. I will simply state that neither is functionally reasonable in opinion.

Comments:

The applicant here will rely on being within up to 3 overlapping PMTSAs as justification for this rezoning, along with area height precedents. Their shadow study shows negligible impact on Barbara Hall Park.

Notwithstanding the above, the applicant seeks to provide 4 levels of underground parking on the site. The latter would seem inconsistent w/the former.

The proposed tower (at tower height) falls within the floorplate guidelines for Tall Buildings; however the footprint of the podium and underground parking is what determines the proposed tree removals.

The tower reads as bulky and over-bearing on the site, the siteplan, notwithstanding being immediately adjacent to Barbara Hall Park makes no provision for on-side parkland dedication.

Of note here, is that a 10% site dedication, if this shaved off the podium and tower footprints in like, would probably render the site non-buildable. As the floorplate would fall below 600m2

Should the site be rendered unbuildable as a tall building, it would serve to make the most westerly properties affordable for purchase as an expansion of Barbara Hall Park.

Something not depicted or discussed that I noted is that if these (existing) properties are removed, there really is not reason most westerly part of Cawtha Square (the road) to exist) and its ROW could be added to the park.

1683879166765.png

Note that this area is 400M2 (more than double what the applicant could be required to provide as parkspace and would be a material addition of the park.

If the City claimed its 'share' of the applicant's site and a comparable portion of the open space of the building to the south (likely strata w/parking below), it would actually represent a more than 700M2 expansion of a very small park and dramatically improve its footprint.

Further note that by removing the applicable section of road, the sidewalk issue is greatly reduced, and at least one mature tree could be preserved.

Hmm, this will probably be a contentious development for the community. While it adds density, it also adds parking, which will inevitably worsen traffic in the area and perpetuate car brain.

Likewise, for all the arguments against the nebulous concept of 'character', one can clearly argue that the current site is quite attractive with its large tree canopy and old rambling homes. I think the dedication to ground floor amenities with so many doors is interesting- I thought the form of the building and its context would have led itself more to townhouses at grade.

I think a favourable evolution of this project would be to cut down on the amount of parking, and to preserve the current trees fronting the street, setting the building slightly back further if necessary.

I'll say this - there is likely a reason the planning rationale is from some planning firm that I've never seen do work downtown. This is extremely aggressive and was likely rejected from most of the major planning firms for not being supportable.

That said - these kinds of applications have surprised me before in their ability to get approved. I can't imagine City Staff are happy about it right now though. There is a whole whack of potential issues here from heritage retention to setbacks to shadowing to transition.. just a whole jar of fun.

I briefly looked at this assembly two years ago and, as @innsertnamehere alludes above, basically just scoffed at it. Pretty amazing someone decided it was worth pursuing...

From my perspective, I hope your judgement here is reflected by a refusal report that sends the property values way down, then the City can move in and scoop up at least the 2 most westerly properties to add to Barbara Hall Park.

From my perspective, I hope your judgement here is reflected by a refusal report that sends the property values way down, then the City can move in and scoop up at least the 2 most westerly properties to add to Barbara Hall Park.
you know that the refusal report will be appealed however :)

You would need it to go to a contested hearing at the OLT (which rarely ever happen any more) and have them lose. It definitely happens.. Look at 100 Davenport, but it's pretty rare.

I'm curious if there will be opposition from the 519 or local LGBTQ+ movers and shakers as it will cast a shadow over Barbara Hall Park.

I'm curious if there will be opposition from the 519 or local LGBTQ+ movers and shakers as it will cast a shadow over Barbara Hall Park.

There will likely be lots of opposition to this for many reasons.

However, the proposal will not cast any significant new shadows on Barbara Hall Park.

This is because its situated to the East-North-East of the park. Sun generally goes from East, to South-East, to South, to South-West, to West in an arc.

Additionally, the building on the south side of Cawthra already shadows the park.

Last edited:
I believe there is an issue with the spacing to accommodate a building in this area, considering the close proximity of residents. Additionally, isn't the event venue located at the intersection of Cawthra and Jarvis a heritage building? It seems impractical to construct a new building given these factors, especially considering the exorbitant rental prices they would likely charge for small apartments. Furthermore, we should be mindful of the impact on our environment, as there are not many trees in the city. How can someone effectively voice their opposition to this ill-conceived building proposal?

I believe there is an issue with the spacing to accommodate a building in this area, considering the close proximity of residents. Additionally, isn't the event venue located at the intersection of Cawthra and Jarvis a heritage building? It seems impractical to construct a new building given these factors, especially considering the exorbitant rental prices they would likely charge for small apartments. Furthermore, we should be mindful of the impact on our environment, as there are not many trees in the city. How can someone effectively voice their opposition to this ill-conceived building proposal?

Breathe deeply.

IF this proposal gets through, in any form, and that's a big IF, there is relatively little chance it will look like this.

Be that as it may.

There will be a public consultation meeting you can attend, that hasn't been called yet. At that meeting you can express your view publicly (at a mic if the meeting is on person, or on cam if its on Web-Ex or the like); you can also phone or email your City Councillor, and the City Planner with your thoughts.

May I suggest, however, that you acquaint yourself with the City's Planning Rules and what they are permitted to consider, or not, with this application.
The City is bound both by a number of Provincial rules as well as considering some of its own rules and policies such as the Official Plan, and the Tall Building Guidelines.
What the City cannot consider is what the sales price of any condominiums or rent of any apartments will be.

IF you watch this thread closely you'll see some discussion of what makes this site dubious for a development, and also if a development were approved here, how it might be made better than what is currently on offer.

The City may consider, among other things:

Whether this site is compatible with the lowrise, single-family homes to north, and if so, whether or not the proposed building has made sufficient efforts to mitigate privacy/overlook issues.

The City may also consider the impacts on Barbara Hall Park, and the need for more parkland in the area (which the City could, in theory compel the building to surrender a portion of the site for). It may also consider servicing (Adequate water/sewer etc.) How garbage pick-up will be handled, traffic volume on Cawthra and a number of other issues.

Any argument you make to a Councillor or a Planner should be made politely and thoughtfully with some evidence as to why the proposal should either be refused outright or made better.

Read my comments within Post #1 to understand some arguments that may have sway.

The Planner's contact info is here:

1684436480953.png

Your City Councillor's Contact info is here:

1684436565306.png

The shadow impact probably woundn't be that bad... the main issue for me is the obliteration of the streetscape on Cawthra (trees and buildings).

Central Toronto is short on charming pockets like Cawthra... every time an established piece of the city gets swept away for yet another banal hermetic condo tower the city becomes less and less interesting to visit and/or live in... And before anyone cries "density" or "affordability" look at what Westbank has done at Mirvish Village... There are other ways to bring density and affordability to the city.

This is an outrageous application, but nothing truly surprises me anymore. The building will at best only briefly shadow the north/east corner at the back of Barbara Hall Park at sunrise. The 100 Wellesley low rise additions got chopped back as an overbuild of the site (it's a “tower in the park” high rise), so accordingly, this should get chopped to 20 or 25 levels. It’s heartbreaking to lose those homes and trees on that short, calm, dead end street.

Back