Toronto 2 Carlton | 251.1m | 73s | Northam | IBI Group

Man you people blow this out of proportion! As for the Aura Tower it sit on a cheezy looking podium making it look bad. The Mirvish-Gehry proposal on King st ranks in first place and doesn't deserve the air rights for having a bunch of boxes stacked in the sky!

Something to consider is the sheer size of many these proposals.

These are not pencil thin towers, perhaps more importantly, they aren't granular podiums that disappear into the streetscape.

These are high-impact proposals for better or worse.

Most in this immediate vicinity lean towards the 'worse' side of that spectra.

It's not simply whether it's interesting or exciting or to someone's taste; it's the planning of behemoth developments that are by their nature problematic..........

But whose impact can be made worthwhile, either by having the tower largely disappear at street level, like at 5 over on St. Joseph, or make a dramatic and interesting statement like 1 Bloor West.

Where a behemoth does neither of those things............it will tend to elicit negative reaction, not without reason.

Something to consider is the sheer size of many these proposals.

These are not pencil thin towers, perhaps more importantly, they aren't granular podiums that disappear into the streetscape.

These are high-impact proposals for better or worse.

Most in this immediate vicinity lean towards the 'worse' side of that spectra.

It's not simply whether it's interesting or exciting or to someone's taste; it's the planning of behemoth developments that are by their nature problematic..........

But whose impact can be made worthwhile, either by having the tower largely disappear at street level, like at 5 over on St. Joseph, or make a dramatic and interesting statement like 1 Bloor West.

Where a behemoth does neither of those things............it will tend to elicit negative reaction, not without reason.
To the height fanboys, none of this matters. They don't even know what you're talking about. You're talking to a wall.

What we've got are the fanboys who know and care nothing about design on one side and those contemplating the minutia of an alleged Philip Johnson penthouse interior, which no one will ever see except rich people, on the other. Best to ignore both extremes and stick to the centre, IMO.

Last edited:
To the height fanboys, none of this matters. They don't even know what you're talking about. You're talking to a wall.

There are the fanboys who know and care nothing about design on one side and those contemplating the minutia of a supposed Philip Johnson penthouse "non-design" on the other. It would be more productive to just ignore both, IMO.
I think this is a bit of an unfair statement. I am a height fanboy, I wish CIBC square was taller, I wish PJ condos was taller, I think it was a shame M+G was chopped.

That doesn't mean that I just automatically ignore the planning and impact side of things. Nobu condos should've never been approved, that space should've been used for something else.

Daniels waterfront towers are brutal, and I would never wanted them to be approved simply because they're 150m+ get that garbage out of the city. (Thankfully the podium there, which is the most impactful part to the street realm is surprisingly good)

Same goes for the new proposal on the west end, which is currently a parking lot. Do I like the height there? Sure, but I'd rather that lot stay a parking lot until something better comes along.

Likewise, I dont think being a height fanboy means throwing any height anywhere. I don't think we should be throwing 250m towers up in Vaughan.

250m here fits, and personally I think the design here is decent and different. Could it be better? Of course, but unfortunately not every building is going to be a 5star building and as such I'd be ok with this being built more or less as is.

Not to mention the matter of architecture is primarily subjective and down to personal tastes.

I've been privately referring to Aura as Godzilla. Height is ok at location but I feel the lower 50 storeys is just too bulky.

At Street level it really is oppressive. I'm not even discussing aesthetics in the least.

Especially on the Gerrard side......

I've been privately referring to Aura as Godzilla. Height is ok at location but I feel the lower 50 storeys is just too bulky.
That's insulting Godzilla though. Besides, it needs more spiky bits running up its back side to make it look like it...

All of Aura is Awful.
Hardly. I’d be great full to view that any day. It’s one of the nicer towers along younge IMO. I personally find it to be many things a land mark, a nod to Art Deco, has a really nice almost classy look from,any angles around the city. It dominates in respectful ways. Sure the lower materials aren’t the greatest. And again design wise it’s quite unique. Far from an eye soar. If could afford it I’d live there in a heart beat. And enjoy the basement to my self. Hehe

Hardly. I’d be great full to view that any day. It’s one of the nicer towers along younge IMO. I personally find it to be many things a land mark, a nod to Art Deco, has a really nice almost classy look from,any angles around the city. It dominates in respectful ways. Sure the lower materials aren’t the greatest. And again design wise it’s quite unique. Far from an eye soar. If could afford it I’d live there in a heart beat. And enjoy the basement to my self. Hehe
Saying it's ok to look at and saying you want to live there are two totally different things.

I agree the building looks ok, but who in their right mind would want to live there 😂 that building is plagued with problems

Agreed. I really like 2 Carlton for what it is. Sure, the sidewalks could use a rewidening...and the podium isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's an attractive mid century tower which is a rare thing to find in Canada. (I mean as in from the 50's, I know mid century means more than that).
The way the gridded facade catches light is quite striking when it's sunny, and well, if they restored the old clock face, that'd be a great way of respecting the original vision of the architect whilst also adding to the visual interest of the area, plus I mean, it is useful. I'd love to see this building made more efficient, but not torn down...that'd be a lost opportunity. This is a suitable, still pretty tall and well proportioned structure for what's changed into a very different but still vibrant place in the 60+ years it's stood here.

Back to 2 Carlton guys!! We already know that about 90% of us disapprove of the Aura podium and that it looks best when viewed from a great distance!
That was left open to respond with a back hand. Wow. But again for this project it’s a far better skin. Same shape. That ugly over sized patterned look around the city is getting awful. Yuk.

Back