ferusian

Member Bio
Reaction score
1960 EGLINTON AVE E
Ward 21 - Scarborough District

Development Applications (OPA)

Proposed mixed-use community.

The site currently hosts headquarters of Cosmetics Labs

Located in vibrant and culturally diverse Toronto, Canada, our 270,000 square foot facility accommodates state of the art R&D and QA/QC laboratories, along with manufacturing capabilities across a wide range of makeup and skincare products. Housing all of our services under one roof allows for agility and flexible execution of complex custom development.

1580950462271.png

It's a curiousity that if the Golden Mile Masterplan unfolds as intended it will push the Crosstown to its limits. It will also almost certainly trigger the need for some form of N-S rapid transit in the area, with Victoria Park being the most likely candidate, but could be Warden.

It's a curiousity that if the Golden Mile Masterplan unfolds as intended it will push the Crosstown to its limits. It will also almost certainly trigger the need for some form of N-S rapid transit in the area, with Victoria Park being the most likely candidate, but could be Warden.
Eglinton is fortunate that it will have many outlets for transfers, especially if the Ontario Line is built as planned to Eglinton.

Updated project description:

Official Plan Amendment application to add new policies for the subject site at 1960 Eglinton Ave E (Cosmetica lands). The Site and Area Specific Policy (SASP) would permit a mixed-use development with a new street and parkland. The development would consist of mixed-use buildings that range in height from 30 to 45 storeys and a six-storey non-residential building to replace and expand the gross floor area of the existing non-residential building (to be demolished). The site is located within the Golden Mile Secondary Plan (GMSP) study area.

----------------------------------

Cosmetica Investments + IBI Group:
- The five mixed-use buildings range from 30 storeys to 45 storeys (135 m) & contain 2,545 units.

1581371084200.png

1581371211384.png

Site Plan:

1581371119692.png

Context in Golden Mile Secondary Plan study area:

1581371282151.png

Last edited:
Very cool! As a newbie to the site and this world in general, how likely is it that this site is developed as proposed? How long does it typically take from this point to completion? I'm very excited for the redevelopment of Golden Mile, but I wonder how likely it is to all happen...

Very cool! As a newbie to the site and this world in general, how likely is it that this site is developed as proposed? How long does it typically take from this point to completion? I'm very excited for the redevelopment of Golden Mile, but I wonder how likely it is to all happen...

I'd say it's highly unlikely to be developed as how it's been proposed right now. The current proposal diagrams were mainly meant to be massing models for development potential and guidelines. The eventual design should be revealed at some point in the future, which could also alter the site planning, building placement, height, etc.

What I'm interested in knowing is whether Cosmetica Investments are drafting this up as a zoning exercise to look for a buyer, or if they remain involved and may bring in a development partner that's more established in the industry.

Reactions: AJP
I'd say it's highly unlikely to be developed as how it's been proposed right now. The current proposal diagrams were mainly meant to be massing models for development potential and guidelines. The eventual design should be revealed at some point in the future, which could also alter the site planning, building placement, height, etc.

What I'm interested in knowing is whether Cosmetica Investments are drafting this up as a zoning exercise to look for a buyer, or if they remain involved and may bring in a development partner that's more established in the industry.
This, like most applications along Eglinton East here, is a direct response to the City's secondary plan for the area, currently in draft. A few landowners are planning to build relatively soon from my understanding, but most are just submitting OPAs to ensure they protect future long term redevelopment options. I'm almost certain that is the case here and that Cosmetica is not planning on building any time soon.

Reactions: AJP
What a difference from the early visions. Those were walkable with small building blocks. The last few submissions were tall towers sharing giant block podiums. Let's hope reason prevails over owners cashing in on a surface lrt line. Maybe it's not too late to grade separate with a subway or elevated line at least to Kennedy Station.

Maybe it's not too late to grade separate with a subway or elevated line at least to Kennedy Station.
The concrete bed and the rail is in place, and the stop shelters are going in.

The concrete bed and the rail is in place, and the stop shelters are going in.

Agreed that we're certainly not changing the project, at that scale, at this date.

That said, there is something of a disconnect here, in that the Golden Mile Zone has by far the highest overall density increases and largest population increases of any area along the Crosstown, including midtown at Yonge Street.

The proposed densities are more in line with an underground rapid transit system that the surface option selected.

I have no issue w/the surface choice here, but the Golden Mile report itself shows transportation infrastructure and roads being over-taxed at the end of the building spree.

That type of density should flow to the underground portions of the route first.

We also ought to have coordinated proposed density along the route with mode choice from the beginning.

Back