Toronto 19 Bloor West | 317.4m | 99s | Reserve Properties | Arcadis

The height increase is a good news to help make up for the possible height decrease next door, but Im hoping this is just a placeholder design, because it's unacceptable. It's lower quality than most high rise designs in the 905.

It looks like it was designed in 15 minutes.

And the cheap cladding slapped onto Arcadis "twisting" tower in Mississauga dosen't bode well.

Agreed, the design is ho-hum, and definitely pales in comparison to its supertall neighbour.

As I mentioned before, I lived at Residences of College Park I on the 50th floor for 10 years. Taken together, ROCP's two towers are similar to this new project when it comes to the total number of floors and apartments, but they have a total of 12 elevators. The 6 elevators for 658 apartments in ROCP I seemed like a good ratio, but even that wasn't enough considering the frequent breakdows. This new tower will be an absolute nightmare to live in.

Are we getting our own Billionaire’s Row? maybe there won’t be too many people actually living in this building

Elevator ratios are a Building Code (ie provincial) issue I suppose? I sent a letter to Councillor Saxe about this development, for all the good it will do. The MMAH is a client and I never complain to government clients, even about unrelated issues. Anyway, people have to get more vocal about this worsening problem.

Elevator ratios are a Building Code (ie provincial) issue I suppose? I sent a letter to Councillor Saxe about this development, for all the good it will do. The MMAH is a client and I never complain to government clients, even about unrelated issues. Anyway, people have to get more vocal about this worsening problem.
Only that one is required for buildings over 3 storeys. One. Just. One. This, at 95 storeys, could have one and still technically meet code.

There are no parallels between those buildings and these ones except that they're...buildings (I guess?).
Skinny supertalls on a high value street that cater to foreign investors to park+wash their money rather than creating livable spaces

Only that one is required for buildings over 3 storeys. One. Just. One. This, at 95 storeys, could have one and still technically meet code.

Since the OBC is often by reference to the National Building Code, I wanted to have a peak the 2020 edition of same, and whether national elevator standards were any higher.

The Standards (requirements) were as you cited, of course, but I did find an NRC publication outlining the recommended standard of service for elevators, which is done by call time.

These, of course, are not binding, but presumably should be.

1712248686745.png

Now this, which is also in the OBC, struck me as a curious contradiction:

1712248799201.png

Sooo, code requires only 1 elevator, but enough emergency power for two! Exactly why do we require power for an elevator that we don't require exist at all?

To be clear, I will advocate for requiring the extra elevator, not for less emergency power!

Here's a fun statistic: at median occupancy rates for apartments in the City of Toronto (1.7 people/unit), this will house approximately 2,193 people. This results in a density of 17,432 people per hectare.

The Kowloon Walled City, the world-famous vertical slum of Hong Kong, housed approximately 50,000 people on 2.6 hectares:

1280px-Kowloon_Walled_City_-_1989_Aerial.jpg

That results in a density of 19,230 people per hectare. Just 10% higher than what is proposed here.
At least they have balconies...

No billionaires are buying here. The floor space indexes for towers like 432 Park are in the mid teens and still required density transfer from surrounding heritage properties (preserving them in perpetuity) to build above the 10 max residential FSI. The max FSI has been loosening since 432 Park. Still, I'm unaware of any residential densities in Manhattan approaching 30 FSI or half of the 60 proposed here. These are not densities that enhance quality of life for residents or the public realm on Bloor.

10 or even 5 years ago most people on this forum would've been thrilled to hear a supertall proposal, never mind what it looks like or how many tiny units it contains. It's refreshing to see that we're much more critical now, height is no longer the be all and end all. It's a sign that we and the city have finally grown up (pun intended).

Skinny supertalls
This has a per-floor GCA of between 777 and 879sm.
on a high value street
Eh, for this City, sure.
that cater to foreign investors
The vast majority of our investors are local. The work involved in owning / maintaining / and operating an offshore condo property isn't for the plutocratic class.
to park+wash their money rather than creating livable spaces
You're correct about 'park + wash' as it relates to NYC, but to call the apartments in any of the 5 Billionaire's Row condos 'unlivable' is simply a lie.

You're correct about 'park + wash' as it relates to NYC, but to call the apartments in any of the 5 Billionaire's Row condos 'unlivable' is simply a lie.

Are people living in them then? I meant livability in terms of affordability. Obviously the buildings are different, but they’re both housing built for investors in mind rather than residents

Are people living in them then? I meant livability in terms of affordability. Obviously the buildings are different, but they’re both housing built for investors in mind rather than residents
I don't know what occupancies are like in those buildings in 2024 but you are correct, the 'investment' wasn't in a 'living space', it was in property in Manhattan, and the folks paying to play there would probably prefer that those units remain vacant. Here, the 'investment' is in the cashflow, so if it's not occupied, you're screwed.

Back