Toronto 1837 Bayview | 100.6m | 27s | Gupta | Arcadis

I get your point NL.... but expiry dates on new zoning.... interesting.

Maybe hit 'em where it hurts: I'd love to see something (that would survive a court challenge) to deter up-zoning properties just for flipping purposes ... in favour of real projects that aren't clogging the bloated development pipeline.

Maybe a bi-annual levy on proponent's cob-webbed/flipping/no buyer projects. Funnel the cash to parks, street improvements etc. Might free up some staff time too.

This is where PE replies "nope". 😜
Haha, not so much "nope", but what legal mechanism does the City (or anyone, really) have to 'prove' that a project is "real"?

the provincial use it or lose it is about servicing allocations, not zoning.

Niagara Falls is trying to do it with Zoning. There isn't really anything in the Planning Act which permits them to do it, but isn't really anything prohibiting it either. We'll have to see what happens when it inevitably gets challenged at the OLT.

the provincial use it or lose it is about servicing allocations, not zoning.

Yes, but.....

There is this in the statement I posted:

Proposed changes to the Planning Act and City of Toronto Act, 2006 would also allow municipalities to apply lapsing conditions on new or previous site plan application approvals.

Yes, but.....

There is this in the statement I posted:

Proposed changes to the Planning Act and City of Toronto Act, 2006 would also allow municipalities to apply lapsing conditions on new or previous site plan application approvals.
yes. I should have added "and site plans".

Many municipalities have historically had lapsing of site plan agreements already anyway, so it's not a new thing, just more formalized in the Planning Act. There isn't exactly an epidemic of site-plan-approved sites in Ontario either that aren't building. There are some for sure, but not tonnes and tonnes of them. Zoning is usually as far as "Zone and flip" developers will go, and leave SPA for the owner who wants to actually build.

Zoning will remain a "permanent" function. That is, unless Niagara Falls can win it's argument.

It feels like 1837 is the canary in the coalmine for this area. I reckon they are trying to match heights of 1840 and Glazebrook across the street.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see the other approvals in the area (eg 1779, 1840 Bayview, Glazebrook, 537 Eg, etc.) come back for a MV for a few more floors.

The avg res heights are crazy for these approvals (ie, 3.4m/11+ feet avg) - so they will either squeeze in a few floors within the same zoning envelope, or just request for additional height like Gupta did here

It feels like 1837 is the canary in the coalmine for this area. I reckon they are trying to match heights of 1840 and Glazebrook across the street.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see the other approvals in the area (eg 1779, 1840 Bayview, Glazebrook, 537 Eg, etc.) come back for a MV for a few more floors.

The avg res heights are crazy for these approvals (ie, 3.4m/11+ feet avg) - so they will either squeeze in a few floors within the same zoning envelope, or just request for additional height like Gupta did here
Indeed. I'd imagine Concert is looking at all this with regard to Sunnybrook...

Back