AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

More intensification for the Lawrence W & Weston Rd area

1821-1823 WESTON RD
Ward 05 - Etob. York District

All properties: 1821-1823 WESTON RD, 1831 WESTON RD

36-storey mixed use building consisting 454 residential units and approximately 582 square metres of retail use at grade.

1575044330089.png

I look forward to seeing the entire Weston neighbourhood to densify like so.

I take it this will include the Church next door at 1831 Weston? I am surprised they aren't going for 2 towers on this site.

I look forward to seeing the entire Weston neighbourhood to densify like so.

I take it this will include the Church next door at 1831 Weston? I am surprised they aren't going for 2 towers on this site.
Unsure why they didnt go for something more like 2376 Dundas St W (https://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/2376-dundas-west) Half the site is essentially vacant.

They may have FSI limitations they can achieve on the site which are the reason.

1575483692314.png

I do not look forward to Weston Road getting more dense. It just spells more traffic, more construction, more inconvenience for people who live here now. I hope developers will build schools, contribute to traffic planning, build more public space, pay for extra strain in infrastructure. Things that come when a town expands its population.

I do not look forward to Weston Road getting more dense. It just spells more traffic, more construction, more inconvenience for people who live here now. I hope developers will build schools, contribute to traffic planning, build more public space, pay for extra strain in infrastructure. Things that come when a town expands its population.

You do know it's next door to the GO and UPX Weston Station? They wouldn't be driving downtown, when there is a GO Train to Union Station or a UPX train to Rogers Centre or Metro Toronto Convention Centre? As for the schools, they already rebuilt (and expanded) the St. John the Evangelist Catholic School (3 blocks north).

What are you on about? Weston is a dilapidated dump and should welcome any investment that comes its way.

Unsure why they didnt go for something more like 2376 Dundas St W (https://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/2376-dundas-west) Half the site is essentially vacant.

They may have FSI limitations they can achieve on the site which are the reason.
Part of it is that you need a 25m setback from the rail corridor but it looks like the're fine with 30m here. The city also prefers that you keep tower plates to 750sm so with both of those restrictions, the limited site use is more understandable.

What are you on about? Weston is a dilapidated dump and should welcome any investment that comes its way.
No kidding...................Hasn't change much since I lived at Eglinton and Weston Rd when we visited our doctors in the Lawrence Ave area. Even after I moved, my parent still lived there and visited them monthly with the family..............The lost of the grocery stores only added to the decline of Weston Rd from St Clair to the 401.

I posted info on another site up the street that has change hands a few time and a vacant lot close to 10 years ago. There are supposed to be a number of other development plan for this street, but gone no where so far.

A fair amount of projects coming up on the horizon for Lawrence & Weston. The neighbouring Weston Park Baptist Church is planning a future redevelopment as well, which will also stretch towards the former bank building on the corner of the intersection.

There's also another fairly large development happening for the west side of Weston, just north of Lawrence.

You do know it's next door to the GO and UPX Weston Station? They wouldn't be driving downtown, when there is a GO Train to Union Station or a UPX train to Rogers Centre or Metro Toronto Convention Centre? As for the schools, they already rebuilt (and expanded) the St. John the Evangelist Catholic School (3 blocks north).
Most people that live within a mile of the 401 will drive. Also with the 5 upcoming projects along Weston Road coming up around the same time it will make getting around the area in 2021 and 2022 more congested with lane closures and a steady stream of dump and cement trucks. True the new St John looks good and is welcome. However, Catholics represent approx 30% of population in Toronto. Plus much of area is now Muslim, so I hope to see schools built for other denominations. It would also be nice to see public space and wider sidewalks IMHO.

Just saying there are many residents in the area that are weary from too much construction from ongoing storm sewer improvements. There is a coming half dozen developments along Weston Road all at once that will make getting around the area more congested in 2021 and 2022 and beyond. Agreed Weston could use improvement but to say adding more tenements is a folly to be learned from Alan Tonks in the 60's and 70's. IMHO it would be preferable to repair and restore 'the dump' then build on that. Developers think they rule the day. Money will not be at cheap loan rates (.25%) forever. Try paying off that loan at 5 points in 5 years.

Just saying there are many residents in the area that are weary from too much construction from ongoing storm sewer improvements. There is a coming half dozen developments along Weston Road all at once that will make getting around the area more congested in 2021 and 2022 and beyond. Agreed Weston could use improvement but to say adding more tenements is a folly to be learned from Alan Tonks in the 60's and 70's. IMHO it would be preferable to repair and restore 'the dump' then build on that. Developers think they rule the day. Money will not be at cheap loan rates (.25%) forever. Try paying off that loan at 5 points in 5 years.
If you think that edging borrowing rates up at some nebulous future time will be enough to halt development in this city, you're underestimating the demand here and the industry's ability to supply.

'Tenement' is a loaded word which denigrates future residents, even before anyone knows that they may someday be living these buildings. So, either you're not using that word particularly wisely or you have an agenda.

You're generalizing about the use of the 401, especially when the buildings are going in right at a rapid transit stop.

There are lots of people in Toronto dealing with construction fatigue—that condition is not endemic to Weston, it's citywide.

Back