Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

From Canoe yesterday:

IMG-2462.jpg

Do tell. This is a great forum to share those thoughts in detail.
I find it rather girthy, uninviting, and structurally inefficient. The lighting is an afterthought that is liked probably more because of its novelty than execution. I won't redesign it anytime soon given my current workload, but there's plenty of opportunity for something taller and more slender with a unique profile. I think we have enough blue glass boxes with terrible street interactions.

Granted, the design is nearly 10 years old - my work has certainly changed in the last 10 years, and probably wouldn't stand those criticisms either. The reason I'm saying all of this is because I love Toronto and pay a lot to live here, and I think that voicing criticism is a way to express my desire for improvement.

It's fine, but Toronto can should do better.

The elephant in the room are those black squares at the top that seems to throw off the whole design of the thing. They looked tacked on at best. And make the building look like a four eyed 8 bit troglobite rising from the ground...

...could not the anchor client have asked for a much more subtle way to represent themselves here? /sigh

I find it rather girthy, uninviting, and structurally inefficient. The lighting is an afterthought that is liked probably more because of it's novelty than execution. I won't redesign it anytime soon given my current workload, but there's plenty of opportunity for something taller and more slender with a unique profile. I think we have enough blue glass boxes with terrible street interactions.

Granted, the design is nearly 10 years old - my work has certainly changed in the last 10 years, and probably wouldn't stand those criticisms either. The reason I'm saying all of this is because I love Toronto and pay a lot to live here, and I think that voicing criticism is a way to express my desire for improvement.

Would love to see some towers in Toronto go balls to the walls on the lighting like this African city.
But sadly, the city would never approve such lighting.

fb_img_1695288675049-jpg.5900522

Africa is a continent made up of a lot of different countries with varying urban centres with their own rule sets of what and what doesn't built and how it's maintained. So comparing our policies to a nameless city in an uncredited photo of somewhere out there with little context as how things should be here is being a bit disingenuous and problematic, to put it mildly. And no offense, of coarse.

I find it rather girthy, uninviting, and structurally inefficient. The lighting is an afterthought that is liked probably more because of its novelty than execution. I won't redesign it anytime soon given my current workload, but there's plenty of opportunity for something taller and more slender with a unique profile. I think we have enough blue glass boxes with terrible street interactions.

Get over yourself

Back