Toronto 159SW Condos | 118.87m | 36s | Alterra | Richmond Architects

This…

New rendering from Diamondcorp

looks far more sophisticated than this:
From the Alterra website:
1.jpg

Wow. Terrible. The previous Quadrangle iteration wasn't the most beautiful thing ever but it had this pile beat by miles.
100% agreement. The new version is cheap cheap cheap.

Trump comes immediately to mind. But that's more a hideous to slightly-less-hideous transformation...

To top it all off, it was the design-illiterate hacks at Kirkor that had the original commission.

condo - ritz carlton (old).jpg

Attachments

• condo - ritz carlton (old).jpg
    condo - ritz carlton (old).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,061
Its funny that Toronto likes to compare itself to Chicago. At least Chicago has many inspiring designs for their new developments, Toronto on the other hand not so much.

Its funny that Toronto likes to compare itself to Chicago. At least Chicago has many inspiring designs for their new developments, Toronto on the other hand not so much.
Frankly speaking, Toronto has some really good towers currently going up (Tableau, Picasso, 1BE, Karma, LTower+Crane, all of River City, Casa III, BAC, Eau de Soleil, Massey Tower), and others planned (1BW, 1-7 Yonge, YC Condos, Bay Park, Mirvish+Gehry). And I am sure others I have forgotten.

Only Minto 30 Roe, the Dundas Square tower and Hotel X are really terrible.

Frankly speaking, Toronto has some really good towers currently going up (Tableau, Picasso, 1BE, Karma, LTower+Crane, all of River City, Casa III, BAC, Eau de Soleil, Massey Tower), and others planned (1BW, 1-7 Yonge, YC Condos, Bay Park, Mirvish+Gehry). And I am sure others I have forgotten.

Only Minto 30 Roe, the Dundas Square tower and Hotel X are really terrible.

Many of those you named are just plain glass boxes though. So many condos get built here on the cheap hence the basic glass boxes, anything somewhat different gets applauded. But if you look at what's getting built around the world there is quite a bit more imagination in the design. Even the "cool" towers are mostly glass boxes with a bit of variation in the balcony shape or glass.

I do like Tableau, Piasso, 1 BE, LTower and River City, etc...but there aren't many more I'd say are all that special and even the ones I named are cool for Toronto but in the grand scheme of things aren't all that great.

We don't have a lot of BAD ones but we have a lot of plain, boring ones. Can't go wrong when you cover a box with glass.

Many of those you named are just plain glass boxes though. So many condos get built here on the cheap hence the basic glass boxes, anything somewhat different gets applauded. But if you look at what's getting built around the world there is quite a bit more imagination in the design. Even the "cool" towers are mostly glass boxes with a bit of variation in the balcony shape or glass.
Agreed, and for every one Picasso or Massey Towers, we get 10-15 159 Wellesleys or Westlakes.

Back