Toronto 1540 Bloor West | 91.9m | 27s | Trinity Group | IBI Group

I stopped by last weekend and there were a number of people in the sales office. They have some nice layouts, and the per floor premium is only $1500 (until the floors hit the 9' ceilings), which is much better than other developers.

The sales staff were very candid, knowledgeable, and kind. This was the first time I stepped into a sales office and felt like a human and not some kind of consumer robot who existed solely for commission purposes (unlike say, any Lamb sales office where you can feel the doucheness and pressure put on immediately).

I hope this one is built.

Daily Commercial News

CONDOMINIUM APARTMENT BUILDING
Proj: 9092200-5
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
NEGOTIATED/PLANNING
Giraffe Condos, 1540 Bloor St, Dundas St, M6P 1A4
$50,000,000 est

Note: Owner is finalizing site plan approvals. Owner is seeking City Council rezoning and development approvals. Sales and marketing are on hold. The rezoning and development approvals have been forwarded to the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB). Sales and marketing are underway. Schedules for Working drawings, Invitation of a Const Mgr and Sub trades and construction will be set based on occupancy and final OMB approvals. Further update early Spring, 2010.

Project: energy Star Appliances; proposed construction of a 29 storey condominium building with 300 suites and retail and amenity space at grade level. There will be a two storey amenity area featuring a Party Room, Lounge, Fitness Room, Sun Deck, Outdoor BBQ; 24/7 concierge; 8,000 sq ft roof garden; 60/40 glass to stone ratio. Owner will seek a Silver certification under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating system.

Scope: 375,000 square feet; 29 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 300 units; 6 acres

Development: New

Category: Apartment bldgs

First report Mon Nov 10, 2008. Last report Thu May 21, 2009.
This report Mon Sep 14, 2009.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=ab426aec1b1d7535f4054157817f85239980cb8e&projectid=9092200&region=ontario

NEGOTIATED/PLANNING
$50,000,000 est

Note: Owner is finalizing site plan approvals. Owner is seeking City Council rezoning and development approvals. Sales and marketing are on hold. The rezoning and development approvals have been forwarded to the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB). Sales and marketing are underway. Schedules for Working drawings, Invitation of a Const Mgr and Sub trades and construction will be set based on occupancy and final OMB approvals. Further update early Spring, 2010.

Project: energy Star Appliances; proposed construction of a 29 storey condominium building with 300 suites and retail and amenity space at grade level. There will be a two storey amenity area featuring a Party Room, Lounge, Fitness Room, Sun Deck, Outdoor BBQ; 24/7 concierge; 8,000 sq ft roof garden; 60/40 glass to stone ratio. Owner will seek a Silver certification under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating system.

Scope: 375,000 square feet; 29 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 300 units; 6 acres

This doesn't sound too good. Does anyone know what percentage they were/are at?

NEGOTIATED/PLANNING
$50,000,000 est

No no, it sounds fine!

Wait a minute - could the Daily Commercial News possibly be as much of a hack job as everything else out there? Where are the proof readers and fact checkers these days?

NEGOTIATED/PLANNING
$50,000,000 est

Development: New

Category: Apartment bldgs

First report Mon Nov 10, 2008. Last report Thu May 21, 2009.
This report Mon Sep 14, 2009.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=ab426aec1b1d7535f4054157817f85239980cb8e&projectid=9092200&region=ontario

50/50 chance that someone is right ... :D

no the project is on track and sales are starting.

I know a real estate guy who is trying to sell some units in this project.

He says the Ice Project downtown by the Acc was in his words "a roaring success"

hmmm...i'm not very familiar with this area but i may be very interested. anyone here bought a unit?

btw, will the train tracks have an affect? is it even in service? i'm not very familiar in regards to trains/public transit.

Last edited:
hmmm...i'm not very familiar with this area but i may be very interested. anyone here bought a unit?

btw, will the train tracks have an affect? is it even in service? i'm not very familiar in regards to trains/public transit.

Train/subway noise will certainly be an issue with any west,north, and east facing unit. Google the location and see for yourself what is in the area. Better yet, pay the area a visit.

So what exactly does this mean? Giraffe isn't going to get built unless it is drastically altered? What kind of a joke is that?
I almost sympathize with the local residents but for the most part they need to wake up and realize just where it is they are living. Did they think a major corner like Bloor and Dundas was never going to get developed? Did they think the Crossways was going to be the only large building in the area... ever?
It's 2009 and Giraffe is just what this city needs. A tower that is LEED certified and much better to look at instead of the boring glass and steel towers that litter this city and let's not forget that the Dundas and Bloor area is essentially going to be a transit hub in the future(subway, major streetcar lines and the GO). This is exactly what Metrolinx should be supporting, this is exactly what anyone who cares about the enviroment should be supporting and this is anyone who thinks they should electrify the GO Georgetown line should be supporting. How can we make a case for electrifying the GO if we stifle any development in the areas that will directly benefit from it?

20+ stories is too tall? Really? This is BLOOR street after all, isn't it? If that's too tall of a tower for what is arguably one of the city's defining throughfares then maybe the local residents should up and move to Milton.

typical YIMBY arguement ... nothing is too tall or too dense and if you don't like it than move to Milton.

Personally, the height of the tower isn't as much of an issue as the 16 FAR. That's a downtown number and this isn't downtown by any means. Neither would I want "BLOOR" to reflect that density otherwise, I'd move to Midtown Manhattan or the Loop

What does 16 FAR? mean?

This is too much of a NIMBY town, some YIMBY is necessary these days. We can build skyscrapers next to highways like the 401 and the gardiner but we can't build towers next to major transit lines? What exactly are we encouraging here?

Back