Toronto 150 Eighth | 23.62m | 6s | Canadian Helen Keller Centre | Chamberlain

Recent profile of ANC's steel-modular factory in Brantford --

"The Helen Keller project is one of several ANC Modular has on the go after completing projects in Brantford. The company is also working on a four-storey building in downtown Toronto for St. Felix Centre, which helps people who are homeless and hungry.

Both the Keller and St. Felix projects are funded by the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation’s Rapid Housing Initiative. Almost all – 99 per cent – of ANC Modular’s current contracts are affordable and supportive housing projects for government-funded agencies across Ontario.

Meanwhile, ANC crews are finishing a modular housing project in Ohsweken for Six Nations Housing Authority.

ANC has already completed projects in Brantford including a $5.5 million 25-unit modular housing development on previously vacant municipally-owned land at 177 Colborne St. West. It was also chosen for a ‘tiny-home’ project at Stinson and Stirton Avenues in Brantford.

Neill started ANC, a construction company in 2017 and launched the modular home building company in 2021. Working out of a manufacturing facility at the Brantford Municipal Airport, the company employs 42 people and is on its way to becoming a global leader."

Looking at the Brantford project noted above, the price was $220,000 per unit, don't know the ft2 per unit, but 1/3 cheaper than Cedarvale.

Much better. Finished this year too. Picture below: (from Streetview)

1689496520310.png

*reading up, their cost on this one was actually a bit over 1M higher than stated, but those add-on costs are legitimately explained by unexpected contamination/remediation issues.

Aha, found the ft2, 327ft2 per unit.

So pretty comparable to the Toronto sites in that respect.

I get ~$630 per ft 2 based on the units (probably a bit lower as I don't have a number of the office/support spaces).

Report to Brantford Council: https://pub-brantford.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=7860

Sorry for OT discussion, just thought it was interesting to make note of that in light of other recent discussions on similar'ish projects.

Last edited:
My assumptions on pricing-variation between the Toronto & Brantford examples fall into a couple of broad buckets -

1.) First / Early projects run at break-even / small-loss to "Buy the Business" for a new Factory & Company. A "Loss Leader" - so that they can get an actual project completed to use as a showcase for future project(s) & Sales. Project ONE is essentially your SHOW HOME.

2.) Location, Location, Location - Brantford is much less developed than most of the Toronto sites, wider streets, no streetcar and hydro wires --- or traffic jams to deal with, so shipping, pre-staging and lifting the modules will be much easier.

3.) Ground conditions were likely less complex. Fewer 100+ year-old pipes that you don't know about underground in a place like Brantford.

4.) Smaller, Less Complex City Hall in Brantford. Fewer hoops to jump thru - and individual people to please on the local government side, etc

Toronto, and especially Toronto and East York district are just exponentially more complex places to do any king of construction than Brantford in 2023.

1689507066953.png

My assumptions on pricing-variation between the Toronto & Brantford examples fall into a couple of broad buckets -

1.) First / Early projects run at break-even / small-loss to "Buy the Business" for a new Factory & Company. A "Loss Leader" - so that they can get an actual project completed to use as a showcase for future project(s) & Sales. Project ONE is essentially your SHOW HOME.

2.) Location, Location, Location - Brantford is much less developed than most of the Toronto sites, wider streets, no streetcar and hydro wires --- or traffic jams to deal with, so shipping, pre-staging and lifting the modules will be much easier.

3.) Ground conditions were likely less complex. Fewer 100+ year-old pipes that you don't know about underground in a place like Brantford.

4.) Smaller, Less Complex City Hall in Brantford. Fewer hoops to jump thru - and individual people to please on the local government side, etc

Toronto, and especially Toronto and East York district are just exponentially more complex places to do any king of construction than Brantford in 2023.

View attachment 492676

Certainly a smaller bureaucracy, age could go either way, Brantford is one of the oldest urban communities in the province and was a manufacturing centre in the 19thC, looking at the site, there is 19thC architecture just 1 block away, though the immediate surroundings appear to be post WW2 for the most part. Colborne there is a 4-lane road. Site had contamination issues as note, but perusing Streetview it was vacant as far back as 2009.

Adjacent sites are 1-storey commercial; there are some homes nearby, but not not adjacent or directly across the road, that may or may not have meant an easier ride.

The elephant standing in the room is that I could lose myself for hours staring at that tripped out colour scheme...

...and I don't think that's a bad thing. Here's hoping they use the right materials to hit that one home. <3

Back