Toronto 1414 Bayview | 30.85m | 8s | Gairloch | a—A

the 3-storey tall glass at grade is wonky AF. Excellent material choices, but it just looks plain awkward.

At the very least they should have kept the glazing to a single level to bring the brick cladding closer to grade. As built the brick "floats" way above the public realm and looks fake and out of reach.
Maybe...but would get my vote for the best mid-rise res building in the last two years

That glassy treatment on the first two floors is a huge fumble.
It's the typical aA delivery. 95% of the streetwalls from that firm are sterile and soul-sucking.

It's like they forget to come up with a competent streetwall design after delivering pretty decent results on towers.

It's the typical aA delivery. 95% of the streetwalls from that firm are sterile and soul-sucking.

It's like they forget to come up with a competent streetwall design after delivering pretty decent results on towers.
Fair point. It's kind of a similar condition at 158 Front East and 55 Ontario. The ground floor is not inspiring at all in my opinion (similar to here - it lacks dimensionality). The rest of the buildings though are very well executed.

Maybe...but would get my vote for the best mid-rise res building in the last two years
I think Junction Point is looking better. I'd be curious to see how Leaside Common turns out

I agree with the consensus here. I'm not overly impressed by the ground level treatment, since it's cold, lacking texture or human scale massing (in the first floors, even detailing like a few bump outs of masonry or something similar could help), but the upper half of the building is done tastefully (even if I wish there was more masonry between the windows).
I do like that that this building fits in well with its massing and height to the wider area, and the brick on the sides gives the illusion of a masonry building, but I can't say I like this building without feeling like part of me is lying to myself.
Fair point. It's kind of a similar condition at 158 Front East and 55 Ontario. The ground floor is not inspiring at all in my opinion (similar to here - it lacks dimensionality). The rest of the buildings though are very well executed.

I think Junction Point is looking better. I'd be curious to see how Leaside Common turns out
I as well am curious.

Back