Toronto 126 Avenue | 40.07m | 11s | Taheri | Icon

It sometimes amazes me how far the heritage protection pendulum has swung in recent years. We've gone from the early 1970s, when the 'Temple Building' and the 'Toronto Star Building' were unceremoniously demolished, to the present, where relatively non-descript, lowrise commercial structures less than a century old like these are rightfully being recognized for their heritage/streetscape value and 'saved'. It's almost enough to make me optimistic for the future!
It’s the less special infill buildings that contribute the most to the street experience overall. Good on them for recognizing their value without an official designation. If only MORE would be saved like this to preserve what makes Toronto, Toronto.

It’s the less special infill buildings that contribute the most to the street experience overall. Good on them for recognizing their value without an official designation. If only MORE would be saved like this to preserve what makes Toronto, Toronto.
I couldn't agree more!

Some commentary from Saxe:

The site is located within the East Annex Heritage Conservation District. Although the city hasn’t designated the property as having heritage significance, the developers have noted that the heritage elements at the site will be retained and incorporated into the overall design.

However, of importance to the community, the project could see the end to the beloved row of flower shops that characterize the area.

“I haven’t been briefed yet on the new proposal,” said city councillor Dianne Saxe. “I get briefed and make a decision. And I’m not at that point yet.”

Expressing optimism tempered with practical concerns, Saxe remarked on the beloved flower shops.

“I certainly am very hopeful that the flower shops will be able to return if they wish. I have made sure that there is going to be commercial space at grade,” she said.

However, Saxe acknowledged the challenges faced by small businesses, having run one herself for 25 years.

“What I don’t know is whether that’s in the best interest of the flower shops,” said Saxe. “Moving is immensely disruptive and expensive. And doing it twice is not appealing.”

Speaking to the potential disruptions posed by relocation, Saxe highlighted the risks faced by businesses during periods of transition.

“They can’t reasonably expect to shut down for the period of construction and then get back to business: you lose all the momentum that you’ve built up in your entire career,” Saxe explained.

Saxe empathized with the challenges confronting small businesses, particularly those in rented premises.

“This is a nightmare scenario,” she said. “But it’s not within the city’s power. I reinforced with the planning staff that I’m very interested in having appropriate spaces for the flower shops to come back. I can’t do any more than that.”

Back