Toronto 1250 Eglinton West | 76.9m | 25s | CreateTO | DTAH

Why not expropriate old city hall and build a 100 floors affordable housing. Really do it right.

The City does not need to expropriate what it already owns, but in suggesting demolition of one of the most beautiful buildings in the City that people would fight tooth and nail to protect while advocating for some very average homes is beyond bizarre.

I just come across as someone trying to look out for the rich. And no one likes that.

I have no idea what your motivation is; I simply can't make sense of it. I don't know that you're protecting the rich; you're just opposing something for no tangible reason.

But I don’t agree this is the only solution.

No one said this is the only solution; it's one solution.

But it's a necessary solution because there's already public land here, in an ideal location.

Last edited:
The City does not need to expropriate what it already owns, but in suggesting demolition of one of the most beautiful buildings in the City that people would fight tooth and nail to protect while advocating for some very average homes is beyond bizarre.

I have no idea what your motivation is; I simply can't make sense of it. I don't know that you're protecting the rich; you're just opposing something for no tangible reason.

No one said this is the only solution; it's one solution.

But it's a necessary solution because there's already public land here, in an idea location.
I understood the city wouldn’t need to expropriate old city hall. That was a joke. But the thing is that property isn’t always just property. To some it has far more meaning than that. What is the truth is that you don’t understand why seven people wouldn’t happily pack their bags and be on the next subway out of town. Or more importantly it’s just seven people so who cares while more than seven would oppose an old city hall demolition so that’s ruled out.

All of New York City is not all apartments offices and condominiums. There’s brown stones and amazingly enough some detached housing. And amazingly some of it is directly beside subway lines. Surely they too need housing. But we don’t just say it’s 2023 and here’s my wrecking ball get out of my way.

I understood the city wouldn’t need to expropriate old city hall. That was a joke. But the thing is that property isn’t always just property. To some it has far more meaning than that. What is the truth is that you don’t understand why seven people wouldn’t happily pack their bags and be on the next subway out of town. Or more importantly it’s just seven people so who cares while more than seven would oppose an old city hall demolition so that’s ruled out.

All of New York City is not all apartments offices and condominiums. There’s brown stones and amazingly enough some detached housing. And amazingly some of it is directly beside subway lines. Surely they too need housing. But we don’t just say it’s 2023 and here’s my wrecking ball get out of my way.

I'm more in favour of saving great heritage than many here; I'm equally of the view that interiors of SFH communities aren't that practical for intensifying and as such, for the most part we ought to benignly ignore those.

These homes are not spectacular architecture; and they happen to be right next to the intersection of two major transit lines and adjacent to existing public land.

That's a lot that's specific to this particular site. This is not about wiping out all SFH everywhere.

Sigh.

Sorry the debate has confused me slightly, is the expropriation of these homes a real possibility or is it something simply being advocated for?

Sorry the debate has confused me slightly, is the expropriation of these homes a real possibility or is it something simply being advocated for?

At the time we left off above there was no active process to carry out the expropriation.

@HousingNowTO 's crew, myself and the DRP have advocated for the expropriation.

For reasons outlined by @HousingNowTO that does not seem likely to go forward, but can't be ruled out.

There has been no response as yet, publicly, from CreateTO on that suggestion, so far as I'm aware.

Edit to add, this is latest update we have from CreateTO:

1699640374759.png

FWIW, the stats above are in line w/the proposal as presented to the DRP which suggests no further change; but we shall see.

In a perfect world, the expropriation of these homes would have started in 2020 -- when we first suggested it to Mayor John Tory while talking about the constraints on this site...

Sadly, "expropriating Single-Family-Homes near Transit-Stations in Forest Hill" was not something the City or the Mayor had the stomach for in those pre-COVID days...

In a perfect world, the expropriation of these homes would have started in 2020 -- when we first suggested it to Mayor John Tory while talking about the constraints on this site...

Sadly, "expropriating Single-Family-Homes near Transit-Stations in Forest Hill" was not something the City or the Mayor had the stomach for in those pre-COVID days...
To be fair he may have been pre occupied with other affairs.

Any news on this one? On the CreateTO website it says completion in 2033 which seems way too far out.

Any news on this one? On the CreateTO website it says completion in 2033 which seems way too far out.

As currently proposed by DTAH, it is an almost impossibly expensive project to build without someone expropriating other nearby properties to give CreateTO a more sensible parcel that does NOT require that incredibly expensive cantilever over the dumb station-entrance box on the corner.

HOUSING_NOW_05-1250 Eglinton Avenue West_EXPROPRIATE.png

HOUSING_NOW_05-1250 Eglinton Avenue West.jpg

HOUSING_NOW_05-1250 Eglinton Avenue West_CreateTO_20230216.png

HOUSING_NOW_DRP-1250 Eglinton Avenue West_23.png

HOUSING_NOW_DRP-1250 Eglinton Avenue West_23_ZOOM.png

HOUSING_NOW_DRP-1250 Eglinton Avenue West_26.png

As currently proposed by DTAH, it is an almost impossibly expensive project to build without someone expropriating other nearby properties to give CreateTO a more sensible parcel that does NOT require that incredibly expensive cantilever over the dumb station-entrance box on the corner.

View attachment 587975

View attachment 587976

View attachment 587977
View attachment 587978

View attachment 587979

View attachment 587980
Apologies for bumping the thread again but why is the cantilever required? Can't the station entrance be temporarily closed? There are other accessible entrances to Eglinton West. The forest hill condos just a bit east of this site directly integrated the LRT entrance into the building.

Apologies for bumping the thread again but why is the cantilever required? Can't the station entrance be temporarily closed? There are other accessible entrances to Eglinton West. The forest hill condos just a bit east of this site directly integrated the LRT entrance into the building.
For budget & political reasons the TTC (and then Metrolinx) purposely "cheaped-out" on the design & structural-engineering of many of these new station-entrance boxes along the Eglinton Crosstown LRT route in such a way that they cannot support the weight of a new Apartment Tower being built directly on-top of the station entrance(s).

2021 explainer thread about this problem all along the line-

Back