Hamilton 125 Napier Street | 132.06m | 41s | Vrancor Development | NEUF

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New block of buildings in Downtown Hamilton. The local neighbourhood association has been fighting tooth and nail an adjacent 25s application, so this one will be fun for them:

5Hmouy2.png
mC3Q3z9.png

jydXZjo.png

9JlBE4r.png

X4P40fd.png

fXFKuVx.png

YxoFH1X.png

XZr9rvV.png
TycGgv9.png

p3Tkwz3.png

xyJn0PQ.png

New block of buildings in Downtown Hamilton. The local neighbourhood association has been fighting tooth and nail an adjacent 25s application, so this one will be fun for them:

5Hmouy2.png
mC3Q3z9.png

Site as it is today:

1644529191995.png

Aerial Pic:

1644529568016.png

Site Size: 1.97 acres (other characteristics below)

1644529532788.png

Commentary:

Seems like a good use of the property, preferable to a parking lot certainly.
Towers are not great design wise, but not horrific by any means.
Podium for the two larger towers though is just s@#t, it needs a total re-think.
Creates a monolith along the street that lacks any granularity, Too much glass; I don't like the giant box.

A nice large size development for Hamilton's downtown area covering a corner block area with four condos and a cross like park configuration with facilities etc on top of podium !

My mistakes This pic is the 213 King St W but Vrancor‘s website needs to update the rendering pic for 200 Market St and what’s missing on the Vrancor website is to add 213 King St W. I will send a email to Vrancor to discuss the issue on the website

I deleted the previous wrong pic

sure this has evolved a bit , with the extra density Vrancor achieved next door , maybe they will push up the lower towers a bit. Not a fan of the big concrete walls

Notice of revised plans for this site have been circulated by the Shadow Dwellers. I'm on their mailing list. Won't copy the email content except these 2 screen grabs and a Link to numerous newer documents on the city's portal. We are told the link will be inactive after a week or so. Better grab the files while you can if you want to review them.

CleanShot 2024-02-16 at 14.29.54@2x.png
CleanShot 2024-02-17 at 14.26.02@2x.png

So why is the Escarpment limit still a thing? What is the reason it hasn’t officially died?
Completely silly IMHO, never got the logic. If I am standing on the edge of the escarpment and looking out, anything with height blocks the view of the harbour or Lake Ontario. If they were worried that a building in the lower city would block the view of the escarpment, think they missed that boat, also any new build would have to be much much lower than 30 stories. And what if a developer wants to build on the top edge of the escarpment, so no height?

Notice of revised plans for this site have been circulated by the Shadow Dwellers. I'm on their mailing list. Won't copy the email content except these 2 screen grabs and a Link to numerous newer documents on the city's portal. We are told the link will be inactive after a week or so. Better grab the files while you can if you want to review them.

View attachment 543214View attachment 543217
This new plan seems like a settlement design to make the neighbours on the west side of the property happy. I assume that means the city will allow the height limit to be exceeded as this is likely a direct result of the neighbour group.

Reallyyyy hoping this isn't the final design. Way too much internal driveway, and the way it approaches Queen St is super hostile and suburban. I have no idea why they are planning to march the Hotel design with a boulevard when the original design interacted far better with the street. I'm a bit confused though because the actual landscape plan is far better than what is shown in the renders (see last photo):
1000004418.png
1000004419.png
1000004421.png

1000004425.png

1000004420.png
1000004422.png
1000004423.png
1000004424.png

1000004427.png

Last edited:
Wild amount of density about to hit Strathcona. Looking forward to the bump in activity here. I always thought Pearl Street or Locke N had a good opportunity to have its own little pedestrian retail areal. I can easily see a couple unoccupied houses/buildings there becoming bars/cafes in the near future. 74 Locke St N or underutilized space in the Erskine Presbyterian Church or the Korean United Church come to mind.

Back