News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.7K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 684     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

The new announcements do mention that a station is an interchange station, but they don't say to where.
This is Toronto ... we only have 2 lines downtown ... I think most people can figure out which the other line is without the extra verbage.

This is Toronto ... we only have 2 lines downtown ... I think most people can figure out which the other line is without the extra verbage.

Actually that's precisely why we need the specification. Tourists are often confused when they try to travel north from downtown because the YUS subway is effectively two lines. People travelling to Vaughan or North York don't take the Yonge-University-Spadina line, they take the Yonge line or the University-Spadina line. When told to take the Yonge line, people could easily get confused and end up on the University-Spadina line instead (and when tourists ask me about this, they usually refer to the "Yellow line").
On the Bloor Line, I'd like the announcements to say "Change here for the Yonge line" at Yonge station, and "Change here for the University-Spadina line" at St. George (but not Spadina). True, it doesn't really affect the TRs, but they should probably do it too for the sake of standardization.

Something silver, with signs that read TRAINING TRAIN on the windows, and which looked like a reasonable facsimile of the new train, stopped at the Bloor southbound platform this morning, paused to taunt us, and took off again.

I went on the new trains again on my way home today. This time, I tested the seats again, but with a large plush Kirby toy (yes, I am a Kirby fan). The seat nearly crushed the toy until I pulled it out without any damage to the seat or the toy. No one commented on the fact that I brought a large plush Kirby toy.
My Plush Kirby (cleaned up).jpg

Here is the toy in question. This proved that people cannot place light objects on the fold-up seats, but can place groceries (if they are not too light) on them. Fortunately, the Kirby toy is undamaged.

Please comment about the train, not about Kirby (there are many forums to discuss Kirby, here is not one of them).

Attachments

• My Plush Kirby (cleaned up).jpg
    My Plush Kirby (cleaned up).jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 703
Last edited:
It's probably been mentioned in this thread before, but I noticed today that the illuminated "Finch" at the front of the train could easily be Freudian-misread as "F*ck"

The new trains are fantastic. They are very spacious, bright and shiny and make the riding the TTC more enjoyable. I cant wait for more of them to go into service :)

I sometimes wish folding seats can accommodate nearly weightless items, but it is life (since I cannot put everything on my lap, on the floor, on my arm, or in my hands, rush hour or not).

How the heck did you manage to board the train if everything can't fit in your hands? For some trips a car or moving van is required.

Took the new train from Union to St. George last week. Not sure if my beef about the relatively low headroom under the A/C units is valid, but the kink in my neck made me feel like I was "back home" in Taipei. All in all, I'll settle for a little inconvenience on my part in exchange for greater system efficiency. Spoken like a true Confucian.

It's probably been mentioned in this thread before, but I noticed today that the illuminated "Finch" at the front of the train could easily be Freudian-misread as "F*ck"

Whenever I read the name Bernanke I expect to see the word Ladies after it.

They definitely need to put some WD-40 on the hinges of the hand holds on the new cars. They also seem very slow to open the door when compared to the other trains.

I believe it's a safety feature; that the operator of the train cannot open the doors until the train comes to a complete stop. I read it somewhere, if I find the quote I'll post it.

Love the sleek look and the bright interior. My two beefs are:

- On the illuminated map, they shouldn't have both green and orange lights. Although the blinking light does tell you which station is next, it is not clear which direction the train is going.

- I definitely dislike how the announcer says 'Interchange Station'. The first time I heard it, I immediately thought, "since when does Toronto have a subway stop called 'Interchange Station?". I'd rather they say 'St. George Station. Transfer to Bloor trains'. And, I'd rather the voice be human, not computer generated.

I believe it's a safety feature; that the operator of the train cannot open the doors until the train comes to a complete stop. I read it somewhere, if I find the quote I'll post it.

It is a safety feature, but it only has a bit to do with the train coming to a complete stop. Rather, the operator must put the control handle into the full-stop position before the doors will open. Only then will the doorman be able to open the doors.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back