News   Jul 26, 2024
 828     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.1K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.8K     3 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

I like the design (both inside and out) actually, and if they are really going to keep what I like to call the "L" shape seating in the new cars, then I think it's fantastic!

Louroz

The poor designers. They reveal a first design, get shouted down, then reveal a design that preserves the seating layout of the T1, and get shouted down again.

Question: Which subway cars are these going to replace, exactly? I know some will be needed for the Spadina line extension, but this will also allow the TTC to retire the H2s-H4s, wouldn't they?

The TTC needs do something about the H6s on the Bloor-Danforth line. Some are in awful condition.

The H2s are gone (H2s were the last trains to have 3-seat forward/backwards benches). I believe the first order will replace the H4s and H5s, the second phase will replace the H6s.

I agree - the H5s seem like they are in better shape than the H6s. Were the H6s rebuilt, though? I'm pretty sure the H5s were (as they all have the hard red seats).

^
I think that's the case, which is why the H5s are on the high-ridership Yonge route, whereas the H6s are relegated to the Bloor-Danforth line.

Gosh, there's nothing more hideous than the new red seating mismatched with the orange doors of the H6s. Not to mention the H6s often have holes drilled in the ceiling that have been cheaply pasted over.

I said before and I will say again "RFP" should be issue for a new look subway train.

The T4-T5 are to be retire and the new train will be assign to the YUS due to higher load factor.

As to name "MyTrain, The Blazier, Warp Speed, Inguage".

That odd red seat on those other cars is out of place.

More on the new TTC subway train (ttc.ca)

hp_nst.jpg

The TTC is getting ready to unveil its mockup for the next generation of subway trains (starting June 6). Leaflets about it can now be found in TTC vehicles, and ttc.ca has a section devoted to the new train...

www.toronto.ca/ttc/new_subway_train/new_train_introduction.htm

Excerpts from ttc.ca

TTC New Subway Train Background Information

* Over 200 subway cars are almost 20 years old and need to be replaced.
* The TTC is planning to buy 234 new subway cars, to make 39 trains.
* The first of these trains will start in passenger service in 2009.
* All 234 cars will be delivered before the end of 2011.
* These trains will run on the Yonge-University-Spadina line.

nst_artist_concept.jpg

Overview and Key Features

1. Exterior Blue Light

photo1.jpg

* Blue lights, on the train exterior, will show the entrance to the multi-purpose areas inside the train.
* The lights show the best doors for wheelchair entry. Anyone with other mobility devices,
strollers, bicycles, or large luggage items will also find these points useful.
* There are 12 “blue lights†(two per car) on each side of the train.

2. Colour Contrasted Anti-microbial Stanchions

photo2.jpg

* Stainless steel floor to ceiling vertical poles (stanchions) will have coloured anti-microbial
covers for better sanitation.
* The use of colour contrasted areas on the stanchions will also make them easier to locate
by visually impaired passengers.

3. Multi-purpose / Easier Access / Wheel-Chair Area

photo3.jpg

* There will be 12 wheelchair/mobility device areas per train (two per car) - twice as many
than current subway cars.
* These multi-purpose areas will also be useful for people with strollers, bicycles, large luggage items, etc.

4. Electronic Information Display System

photo4.jpg

* An electronic display, in the centre of the ceiling, will show the name of the next station
and on which side of the train the doors will be opening.
* The next station will also be announced over the Public Address System.

5. Active Route Map

photo5.jpg

* In addition to the features of the current subway route map,
the active route map uses LED technology to highlight:
o Present location of the train
o Direction that the train is travelling
o Location of interchange station

6. Full Length Open Train (Connecting passage allows car to car access)

photo6.jpg

* The new subway train is a full open train compared to the current train comprised of six cars.
Note: In the mock-up, the mirrors at each end simulate the full length of the open car.
* Riders can move along the full length of the train through the gangway (connecting passage).
* This offers improved movement and passenger safety.

7. Passenger Alarm Intercom System

photo7.jpg

* In an emergency, customers can activate, speak with, and be seen by a member of the
train crew through this intercom camera system.
* There are 36 intercom contact points on each train; four per car at alternate doorways
and two per car in each Multi-purpose area.

8. Emergency Evacuation Ramp

photo8.jpg

* The openness through the full length of the train will make evacuation easier in case of an emergency.
* Built-in ramps at each end of the train will make evacuation quicker and easier.

9. Safety Information Monitor

photo9.jpg

* Three LCD video screens on each car will supply information such as how to use the intercoms,
the yellow passenger assistance alarm strips, and the safe entry and exit of subway cars.
* These screens will be located overhead, above the door and window line.

10. Way-finding Coloured Floor Guide

photo10.jpg

* At the entrance ways, and throughout the length of the train, the floor will have textured and
coloured sections to assist visually impaired passengers.

11. Closed Circuit Television (CCTV)

photo11.jpg

* A number of ceiling mounted closed circuit television security cameras will be positioned
throughout the train to record activity on the train.
* The tapes from these recordings may be supplied to Toronto Police Service to assist in the
investigation of criminal activity on the transit system.

12. Interior Colour Scheme

photo12.jpg

* The above are four colour schemes under consideration.

I agree, oposed to what most people think, I like the interior colour scheme of the H5s the most, it has warm colours (even though they clash) and alot of character. However, I dispise the H6s interior colours, which reminds me of the yellow-orange vomit which I encountered on one of those trains many, many years ago.

I think they should bring back the old padded bench seats of the H4s (and the H5s which managed to escape being rebuilt and having the comfy seats replaced with the modern ones.)

As far as the new design goes, the current seating in the T1s is absolutely fine, and I would be very interested to hear what those who critisized it have to say about what would be better. I like the new design with the more curvier features. However, I am dissapointed to see the elimination of the front and back windows, and hope the centre polls don't make a return. As far as the colour scheme goes, the grey and red don't impress me; they feel cold and don't go well with the fluorescent lighting. I don't know what would be better, but it could always be worse.

Concerning colour schemes: number one, please! Sheme 2 is particularly hideous-looking.

LOL.

Scheme 2 was taken from the Montreal Metro. You can tell. Montreal's trains are considerably narrower than the TTCs. Notice how close those ugly orange seats are to each other.

I wonder how on earth that became a consideration. I frankly doubt its a possibility.

So are we for sure going to keep the "L" shaped seating plan in the new trains?

Also love the active route map. A touch of sophistication on our little transit system just as long as it's well maintained (highly doubt it).

Louroz

Scheme 2 was taken from the Montreal Metro. You can tell. Montreal's trains are considerably narrower than the TTCs. Notice how close those ugly orange seats are to each other.

Yep, noticed that immediately. Scheme 4 is from New York - the new trains used in the IRT lines (such as the Lexington 4-5-6).

I'm very glad the mixed seating is shown in the mockup, which is a pretty sure sign that's what we're getting - after all, the first T1 mockups showed all longitudinal seating, and the public outcry on that forced the TTC to reconsider. I'd understand getting rid of it if our subway cars were narrow like Montreal, New York, Chicago, etc, but our cars are amongst the widest in the world. There's no real justification for all longitudinal seating.

The active route map might be weird when they try to put them on all lines. They should only have the line that subway is running (which will be Y-U-S anyway), with the connecting points, like the active maps in NYC and HK. Better to have subway network maps elsewhere.

Going to have to drop by at Davisville one time.

Scheme 1! Scheme 1! Please. lol It's the best of the four. The most comfortable looking too. New York's looks very uncomfortable.

Back