News   Jul 16, 2024
 434     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 520     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 645     2 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Im wondering if they made any inroads to the whole side display fiasco. have they managed to make it AODA compliant (for what its worth.....)

Not necessarily related to the Rockets (maybe move this to the catch all), and this might be old news, but caught a T1 with the new side displays and audio announcements. Much like the buses and streetcars that announce the route, the audio became a bit annoying sitting next to a door, but i'm we will get used to it. I found the font selected along with lower case letters odd (much like the TRs) and I don't really see the need to display "Line 2" instead of just "2 TO KENNEDY". With the smaller windows, they are obviously smaller displays than the TRs - so hopefully the display on the TRs will be a bit better.
T1 Sign.JPG

Attachments

• T1 Sign.JPG
    T1 Sign.JPG
    364.9 KB · Views: 985
Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this electronic display active on a train at Union tonight as it was pulling out of the station. It was my first time seeing them in use and I only got a quick look at it, but it is ugly as hell.

I mean, the font they use currently at the front/back and inside the rockets is ugly too, but the TTC could at least have them match instead of two ugly displays with two ugly fonts.

Did they even look at that thing? They should just use all caps for clarity - and they have enough LED resolution to do it properly. Oops, I forgot, it's the same org that used serif fonts and did nothing about about it for 5 years. Who the hell is that incompetent anyways?

AoD

How come they use these ultra-low resolution, monocrhome signs. Ditto for the one on the front. Couldn't they use an actual modern, high-resolution LED or LCD screen capable of all colours and legibility of small font? One would think since these types of screens are so commonplace they'd actually be more economical than this old style of destination sign.

How come they use these ultra-low resolution, monocrhome signs. Ditto for the one on the front. Couldn't they use an actual modern, high-resolution LED or LCD screen capable of all colours and legibility of small font? One would think since these types of screens are so commonplace they'd actually be more economical than this old style of destination sign.
I bet the displays are ran by 16-bit processors.

I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with the LED displays - it is sufficient for the task and offers good visibility. It is how one uses it that's the problem in this instance.

AoD

I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with the LED displays - it is sufficient for the task and offers good visibility. It is how one uses it that's the problem in this instance.

AoD

It is sort of insufficient though, considering the steps we've made to simplify/improve wayfinding and signage across the system. Example: TTC has done away with written names for our subway lines. We use a colour-coded circle with a number. Unfortunately that can't be presented on a low-pixel monochrome sign, hence their spelling out of "Line 2". May as well go back to Bloor/Danforth if we're doing that.

With an actual high-resolution full-colour display we can use the real symbol for the line (the one found on maps and signage elsewhere). Not mention fit in station names like the mouthful Vaughan Metropolitan Centre (say with the V in normal script, and the MC lower and below). Then there are other things, like an all red background for Out of Service.

Even the signs on our highways are advancing to using colour and higher resolution.

It is sort of insufficient though, considering the steps we've made to simplify/improve wayfinding and signage across the system. Example: TTC has done away with written names for our subway lines. We use a colour-coded circle with a number. Unfortunately that can't be presented on a low-pixel monochrome sign, hence their spelling out of "Line 2". May as well go back to Bloor/Danforth if we're doing that.

With an actual high-resolution full-colour display we can use the real symbol for the line (the one found on maps and signage elsewhere). Not mention fit in station names like the mouthful Vaughan Metropolitan Centre (say with the V in normal script, and the MC lower and below). Then there are other things, like an all red background for Out of Service.

Even the signs on our highways are advancing to using colour and higher resolution.

I fear for the ability of TTC to get something significantly more complicated right when they can't even do simple LED dot matrix displays.

AoD

Back