News   Jul 16, 2024
 61     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 458     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 563     2 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Very rare.

Last week Friday, when I was commuting on the BD, I was lucky enough to egg two H-series trains. I presume this means that there it's be a small quantity of T1s on Yonge that haven't been displaced by the TR.

Is that what you do on your spare time tiger master? You wait for trains to pass and throw eggs at them? :)

Very rare.

Last week Friday, when I was commuting on the BD, I was lucky enough to egg two H-series trains. I presume this means that there it's be a small quantity of T1s on Yonge that haven't been displaced by the TR.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean when you say you 'egged' those two trains (I'm assuming that's not in the sense of throwing eggs at them)?

Is that what you do on your spare time tiger master? You wait for trains to pass and throw eggs at them? :)

Oh my gosh. No no no. Wow no.

It's this damn auto correct on my iPad that's incriminating me. I didn't do it!!! :rolleyes:

This is what I get for posting to UT first thing in the morning lol

Last edited:
"Attention passengers, this train is unable to [inaudible] due to a problem. We apologize for the inconvenience."

I heard the same message last August when my train was held in the tunnel just south of Downsview Station for a few moments. I think we were waiting trains to clear the platform at the terminal station.

It says, "Attention passengers, this train is delayed due to signal problems. The TTC apologizes for the inconvenience". This message seemed to play automatically every time we left a station.

Today on the T1 I heard pre-recorded messages announcing the closure of the University Subway between At. Andrew and Union. First time I've heard these announcements on a T1

on the note of pre recorded messages... I find that the "please stand clear of the doors" message is a complete redundancy as in 90% of the time, the doors are already half shut or more when it is played.
what they should do is move it ahead of the chime so that at least it makes logical sense and actually warns the riders that the doors will close. As of right now the order in which its played makes it look like just a legal formality so that in case someone gets caught they wont be legally liable because "it has already warned them of the doors closing"....

on the note of pre recorded messages... I find that the "please stand clear of the doors" message is a complete redundancy as in 90% of the time, the doors are already half shut or more when it is played.

It's encouraging you to move away from the doors before the next station when people want out; and prevent someone from leaning on the door too vigorously causing the emergency stop to trip due to an open door. It used to play after the doors had closed entirely but someone thought they could double-purpose the message.

The wording of that message was chosen quite poorly.

I don't think so. When the TR first hit the rails, the doors wouldn't close until after the message played. The ttc changed this a few months later, presumably because it was slowing down the door closures too much. This indicates to me that the message is probably meant to tell people not to stand in the doors while it's closing.

and prevent someone from leaning on the door too vigorously causing the emergency stop to trip due to an open door.

Now that you mention that, I am incredibly concerned about the safety of the doors out the T1. They don't close properly. I've seen people easily open them while they were closed (using your index and thumb fingers are enough to pry them open). And a few weeks ago I witnessed someone trip while riding on a T1. The force of his body hitting the door was enough to open one of them about a third of the way open. I don't think it's difficult to imagine how his fall against the doors could have ended up being a disaster in the right conditions. And I don't think this was a simple isolate mechanical failure in the door mechanism. I've seen these doors open far too many times for that to be a possibility.

I believe that the T1 door mechanism uses magnets to "lock" the door while in motion . The TTC really needs to install stronger magnets for the doors or use a physical lock like on the TR. In their current state these doors could very well kill someone.

Unfortunately I think that the TTC knows that these doors are unsafe and doesn't care to fix them. I know that I and many others have brought this to their attention and I'm sure that their drivers well aware of how frequently doors opens while the vehicle is in motion.

Last edited:
I don't think so. When the TR first hit the rails, the doors wouldn't close until after the message played. The ttc changed this a few months later, presumably because it was slowing down the door closures too much.

Hmm. I distinctly recall the message playing after the doors have closed completely on my first few rides and being very confused about it as it seemed like a "get on the train now" type of message; worked out the above scenario due to that. It wouldn't be the first time my memory was wrong though.

"Doors are closing" would be a shorter message for an indication that the doors are closing and is used in a few different cities.

It's a bit like asking the author of a book "did you mean <really long thing> when you said the curtains where blue?". No, they meant the curtains were blue. I doubt an abundance of thought went into the message that is played.

Don't even get me started on the TR announcements. I think they sound awful - too computerized. I don't understand why they couldn't have hired a voice actor to do each one like in London on NYC. There aren't THAT many stations that it would take too long to record them. I don't understand the laziness now when they had those women record every single bus and streetcar stop years back.

Back