News   Jul 16, 2024
 481     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 535     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 667     2 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Yes, that's what they are saying. Manually opened by the operator the TTC is saying.

But it would not be surprising if the same design failures that are delaying door openings during normal operation are also what led to the "crew error" in this case. Or could it be that the changes they are making to speed up normal operation have turned out to actually be unsafe? Just speculating. It is surprising to me that the media have not picked up that this happened on one of the new TRs, and asked this question.

Clear how? So far the few issues people have brought up hardly amount to a disaster.

How about the fact that they are rusting after only 2 years!

How about that the motor bolts are cracking and the whole fleet has ben recalled and new modifications haveto be made

Drivers cab doors are a disaster, they do not close properly, so Bombardier came out with this state of the art retrofit, a $2.50 clasp from Canadian Tire lol

Lot more issues I dont want to mention yet

The TR trains will never be on the BD line
To save money and not have parts all over the place the carhouses will specialize either on TR or T1 trains

As for the H5/H6 fleets, parts are a major problem, no one makes them anymore

The H% with baricaded doors is slated to leave soon so no reason to fix it

I assume that they will be on the BD line in emergency conditions, if for example, there was a major incident that blocked trains from Greenwood entering the line.

Correct. Testing of a train on the BD - which was supposed to be done in the spring of last year - will happen in the next couple of months.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They will be on the BD line by 2030 or so when the T1's start to retire, and the Yonge Line of course gets the newest trains that would replace the T1's.

How about the fact that they are rusting after only 2 years!

How about that the motor bolts are cracking and the whole fleet has ben recalled and new modifications haveto be made

Drivers cab doors are a disaster, they do not close properly, so Bombardier came out with this state of the art retrofit, a $2.50 clasp from Canadian Tire lol

Lot more issues I dont want to mention yet

The TR trains will never be on the BD line
To save money and not have parts all over the place the carhouses will specialize either on TR or T1 trains

As for the H5/H6 fleets, parts are a major problem, no one makes them anymore

The H% with baricaded doors is slated to leave soon so no reason to fix it

As someone who holds stock in Bombardier, I really hope the TTC considers a new supplier when purchasing new trains. Our protectionist economy is really going to hurt us in the international market as globalization progresses further.

I just came across an article about new subway cars that Bombardier will be making for the Moscow subway. My impression is that with only a few touches, our own cars would look way more appealing from outside. I am puzzled why TTC picked such a conservative (external) design...

1365473620_0729.760x498.jpeg

I just came across an article about new subway cars that Bombardier will be making for the Moscow subway. My impression is that with only a few touches, our own cars would look way more appealing from outside. I am puzzled why TTC picked such a conservative (external) design...

1365473620_0729.760x498.jpeg

I'm sorry, but that thing is ugly.

But then again, the TRs were ugly in renders as well

That is a better looking train. The issue is that the TTC lacks a sense style in general. They have no design ambition, and thus low standards. They're willing to accept anything. Somehow, they got the world's best architects designing relatively trivial suburban stations on the Spadina line, but that's unfortunately probably an anomaly, based on the Dufferin and Pape renovations.

I took this picture from my office window this afternoon:
kszi.jpg

This is looking northwest toward the Hwy 404 / Hwy 7 interchange. The truck was stopped off the side of the road. It had presumably gotten stuck.

But why was it on the eastbound to northbound ramp in the first place?

Interesting question indeed. Where could it be heading? Newmarket? What is up there that a subway car needs? My understanding is that they need to head to the US to be overhauled before being shipped to Nigeria?

Interesting question indeed. Where could it be heading? Newmarket? What is up there that a subway car needs? My understanding is that they need to head to the US to be overhauled before being shipped to Nigeria?

The picture appears to be a TR car to me, since the ends are covered up and there only seems to be one window between the doors, and the vents on the roof ends seem to match as well.

It is a TR. H5s and H6s are being shipped south-west via Hamilton to the Buffalo area.

As for the why there, they have been shipping them down the east side of Lake Simcoe (via Highway 48 and Woodbine Ave., I believe). I guess he was about to get onto the 404 for the final leg to Wilson.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back