News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 675     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

I don't think anyone's being stubbon. It's simply that banning food is a bad and unenforceable idea. It might work in a police state, but fortunately we don't live in one.

The solution is better public education, better cleaning, and perhaps the TTC listening to the thing that riders keep asking for ... garbage cans on trains. TTC always has lots of reasons on why they can't put garbage cans on trains and buses. Instead, perhaps they should find a way of trying it, rather than spending all their energy justifying why they can't do it.

Garbage cans on trains? You are not serious...right?! The trains are already packed during rush hours and now you want to place cans in the middle of the aisle?! Wow...and how about buses and streetcars? Are you going to place cans on it too? So in the end, we are encouraging people to have food and drinks on the TTC...fml...

Garbage cans on trains? You are not serious...right?! The trains are already packed during rush hours and now you want to place cans in the middle of the aisle?! Wow...and how about buses and streetcars? Are you going to place cans on it too? So in the end, we are encouraging people to have food and drinks on the TTC...fml...

encouraging food and drinks, though, is not encouraging littering. As someone else noted, the way to prevent littering is through some enforcement with heavy fines for those caught. No you don't have to patrol every train every minute and catch every litterer.....just get the word out that joe/sally "x" just got nailed with a $500 fine for littering and other litterers will take note....as it is now does anyone know anyone (or recall reading/hearing about anyone) who was hit with such a fine?

Garbage cans on trains? You are not serious...right?!
100%

The trains are already packed during rush hours and now you want to place cans in the middle of the aisle?!
When did anyone ever suggest putting them in the middle of the aisle? If you were to do it, you'd build them into the sides, or near the doorway somehow.

So in the end, we are encouraging people to have food and drinks on the TTC
Most of the garbage is newspapers. Are you suggesting we ban those too?

100%

When did anyone ever suggest putting them in the middle of the aisle? If you were to do it, you'd build them into the sides, or near the doorway somehow.

Most of the garbage is newspapers. Are you suggesting we ban those too?

Yes there should be a 100% ban on eating or drinking newspapers....that ink cannot be good for anyone!

nfitz:

Sorry, if you can't even hold onto your paper for a few extra steps and dump it at the station, a garbage can in the subway car won't save you.

What will work is smacking each violation with a $1000 fine. I have a feeling one won't be so keen on littering afterwards.

And yes, I think getting rid of free Metro/24/Onion is an excellent idea - considering a) the increase in cleanup cost and b) the instances of paper debris catching fire at track level.

AoD

Sorry, if you can't even hold onto your paper for a few extra steps and dump it at the station, a garbage can in the subway car won't save you.
I think you are wrong. Won't solve all of it, but it will solve some. If someone is sitting in a subway car for half-an-hour, it's not like they can simply dart out the door and throw away the garbage.

What will work is smacking each violation with a $1000 fine. I have a feeling one won't be so keen on littering afterwards.
The fine is already $235. How many convictions have there been in the last year? Surely the magnitude of the fine isn't the issue.

And yes, I think getting rid of free Metro/24/Onion is an excellent idea
Yes, I can see point of that. But instead, why not increase the distribution costs for the Metro to a high enough cost to cover the clean-up. Not sure how you handle 24 - it's not available on TTC property as far as I know.

I agree. Either one has a mentality that the world is ones own dumping ground or they do not. It will always be easier to leave garbage in dropping distance of where you are sitting the moment you are done with it than carrying it with you to the next garbage can. There are cities with far fewer garbage cans without the littering issue. Every station has multiple garbage receptacles down the platform. Anyone who has lived in an apartment can attest to the fact that even though there are only about 10 residences per floor there is always someone who can't manage ensuring their garbage gets down the chute. Anyone who has worked in an office building where there is an expectation of high education and intelligent thought on staff there is always someone who leaves the condition of the washroom toilet seat in an unusable state. Once again it is a mentality of public responsibility that is lacking in some people and putting the tools in their hands to maintain public space will not lead to them doing it.

I still don't understand why some of you are so upset about Metros, 24s, or even Suns being left on the subway. It is very common for them to run out at my bus stop, so finding them on the bus or train is usually a bonus.

If you are talking about non-stapled papers which can easily get disorganized (Star, NP, G&M), then that I can understand the frustration if they are not recycled or left not in order.

I still don't understand why some of you are so upset about Metros, 24s, or even Suns being left on the subway. It is very common for them to run out at my bus stop, so finding them on the bus or train is usually a bonus.
Sure, sometimes they are reused, but if they are left in the subway train, sooner or later they are ending up on the floor.

Leaving them on the train isn't doing anyone a favour. It's littering, it's a crime, and the TTC needs a publicity campaign to make that clear, because there are lots of ignorant people out there who think they are doing a nice thing leaving their newspaper sitting on the train.

Well, all the more so when said papers have been clipped, crossworded, and just plain soiled and smudged. If they're in less-than-library condition, all the more reason to toss'em into recycling...

According to this item, starting in 2012 all trains will be swept at terminal stations while in service (my guess is outside of rush hours), so this may help somewhat. Although I'll believe it when I see it...

Sure, sometimes they are reused, but if they are left in the subway train, sooner or later they are ending up on the floor.

Leaving them on the train isn't doing anyone a favour. It's littering, it's a crime, and the TTC needs a publicity campaign to make that clear, because there are lots of ignorant people out there who think they are doing a nice thing leaving their newspaper sitting on the train.

I agree with you nfitz, however, don't you feel that if the TTC campaigns and asks their customer to clean up after themselves that there would be some sort of revolt? I have a feeling alot of customers with be saying "I have to play X amount of dollars to ride the TTC and they have the gull to ask me to clean up my trash? They should be doing it?" -- a sort of "what have you done for me lately?" attitude?

According to this item, starting in 2012 all trains will be swept at terminal stations while in service (my guess is outside of rush hours), so this may help somewhat. Although I'll believe it when I see it...

I believe this is the only reasonable solution, hopefully the TTC can schedule their trains properly to factor in the time needed to sweep a subway train.

however, don't you feel that if the TTC campaigns and asks their customer to clean up after themselves that there would be some sort of revolt? I have a feeling alot of customers with be saying "I have to play X amount of dollars to ride the TTC and they have the gull to ask me to clean up my trash? They should be doing it?"

Sorry, if one can wipe their own rear after doing business in the loo, they can certainly pick up their own trash. Why should anyone be paid to do either for them? The fact that one even have to gently remind them they should do so is exactly what's wrong. It is their duty not to litter - having paid X amount should make no difference whatsoever. Those subway announcements are pathetic - what they should remind riders is that littering will not to be tolerate and those who do so will be caught and fined.

Quite frankly, as a heavy user of the TTC, I'd love to see these types of trashy customers give up on transit and suffer accordingly. It will make our lives significantly better.

AoD

Last edited:
Sorry, if one can wipe their own rear after doing business in the loo, they can certainly pick up their own trash. Why should anyone be paid to do either for them? The fact that one even have to gently remind them they should do so is exactly what's wrong. It is their duty not to litter - having paid X amount should make no difference whatsoever. Those subway announcements are pathetic - what they should remind riders is that littering will not to be tolerate and those who do so will be caught and fined.

Quite frankly, as a heavy user of the TTC, I'd love to see these types of trashy customers give up on transit and suffer accordingly. It will make our lives significantly better.

AoD

AoD - I 100% agree with you - however, I think that those of our mentality are a small minority and those that you and I speak of are the majority of TTC riders thinking that they have a sense of entitlement on public transit. Yesterday I saw a beer bottle -- a beer bottle! on my SB train from Wilson - I picked it up an discarded it when I got off at St. George.

Back