News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 675     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

^ I usually try to find a Metro/24 in a subway car instead of picking up a fresh copy to do the sudoku and crossword puzzles.

<rant>
For all his knowledge about Toronto, Christopher Hume can't tell an H-Series from a T-Series? He lumps both models together as "the old trains" making general accusations about squealing brakes and interior noise that in reality only apply to the T1s, which are not the trains which are being directly replaced with TRs.

As well, he claims that the doors are larger than its predecessor, which is a lie. The doors are not wider than a T1's.
</rant>

Another thing, Christopher Hume generally spells out words in full, because he is a professional journalist, except on social media (to be fair, message boards can be considered social media).

Here is a hint on remembering the train types: H4 has light olive-coloured doors, H5 has yellow doors (except for #5796, which is a mockup of the T1), H6 has orange-yellow doors, T1 has dark red doors, and TR has stainless steel doors.

Last edited:
OK, another possibility. City columnists in the MSM read this board when they can't figure out what to write about in the next day's paper. We've noticed it happening before, no?

OK, another possibility. City columnists in the MSM read this board when they can't figure out what to write about in the next day's paper. We've noticed it happening before, no?

I remember that "monolithic sidewalk" thing one time, but when else has it happened?

On Friday, October 14th (yesterday) there were 4 Toronto Rockets in Service.
They came out during the afternoon rush. By 7:00PM they finished their runs
Except for 1 train that stayed in service until midnight. As of right now The TTC
Has 5 rockets that are in revenue operation.

The 5 Rockets in service are

5401-5406
5411-5416
5421-5426
5431-5436
5441-5446

In two weeks or so it looks like 5451-5456 will also be ready for revenue service.

I saw 5465 in testing.... so we've gotten another one.

Without question, the T1s must have the loudest, eardrum-splitting, hair-raising, nails-on-a-chalkboard braking system of any rapid transit equipment on the continent. Just appalling compared to the H5s and H6s, I thank the Hawaiian gods that the new trains aren't like this.

Without question, the T1s must have the loudest, eardrum-splitting, hair-raising, nails-on-a-chalkboard braking system of any rapid transit equipment on the continent. Just appalling compared to the H5s and H6s, I thank the Hawaiian gods that the new trains aren't like this.

You clearly don't take BART under the San Francisco Bay every day. :eek: That is some f'ed up shit there.

I just got back from San Francisco. BART is not that bad. The trains are old but the brakes are not as loud as the T1 cars here. The stations are certainly cleaner and better maintained then the TTC. The system doesnt seem to be well used though, as the frequency of trains is pretty low. Although they make up for it by having multiple lines converging on Downtown SF. I like that they have automate tickets unlike the TTC.

I just got back from San Francisco. BART is not that bad. The trains are old but the brakes are not as loud as the T1 cars here. The stations are certainly cleaner and better maintained then the TTC. The system doesnt seem to be well used though, as the frequency of trains is pretty low. Although they make up for it by having multiple lines converging on Downtown SF. I like that they have automate tickets unlike the TTC.

I'm probably just getting soft, but growing up in Toronto and now living in the Bay, the trains here seem more insufferable (noise-wise) than the T1s. That and the fabric seats are disgusting......though the system does gets bonus points for actually being able to get a seat when you want one.

Frequency on every line is 15 minutes during the day and every 20 minutes at night. Of course, with the interlining though, SF gets trains every 3-4 minutes.

As of today 7 rockets are in service

Sets that are in service are
5401-5406
5411-5416
5421-5426
5431-5436
5441-5446
5451-5456
5461-5466

Riding these things is a regular occurrence now.

Indeed. I'm so far two for two this week, catching it northbound on the University line both Monday and Tuesday. I'll find out in about an hour whether I'm going to keep the streak going. Doubtful, but they are becoming far more commonplace than even just a couple of weeks ago. When I pass by Wilson, I see maybe two or three laid-up there compared to a month ago when it was more like five or six.

Back